D&D 5E Anyone Using the Optional Initiative from the DMG?

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Publisher
Everyone rolls for initiative, and I'll say, "Ok everyone above X (x= monster's initiative) can go." Then I go, then I say, "OK, everyone else can go."

*Yoink*!! I'm stealing this and using it in my next session! What understated brilliance! thanks!

Edit:
Oops... Quoting [MENTION=15700]Sacrosanct[/MENTION]. Haven't learned my formatting on this site yet, sorry.
I'm going to try this too. I there an official "delay" action in 5e? If so its no different to that.

pukunui

Legend
I there an official "delay" action in 5e? If so its no different to that.
As far as I've been able to tell, there isn't. In fact, there doesn't seem to be any official way to change your position in the initiative order, since a readied action just uses your reaction when it triggers.

EDIT: On a side note ...

... and speeds up combat by however much time was previously wasted by inattentive and/or unprepared players each round.
Has anyone got any suggestions on how to achieve this same result without mucking around with the way initiative works?

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Thanks! I'll check it out now.

EDIT: Hmm. I like it in theory. My main concern would be that the players would always choose to make the monsters go last (which, in 5e, can easily result in them not going at all).

Last edited:

Asatru009

Explorer
Everyone above the monsters goes than I go, then the rest of the PCs go, for me it's a matter of not wanting to having to keep track of more than I have to.

Negflar2099

Explorer
I'm going to check out that Popcorn Initiative thing. That sounds interesting. I tried Side Initiative but it made the combat really boring. The players would usually win (which happened often due to some bad rolls on my part) in which case they would just dominate the monsters completely. It made combat way too easy. If the monsters did win (rarely) I held back (I'm not very good at being a killer DM). It just didn't work for me. Plus I didn't like how it eliminated some PC abilities. I like that faster characters go first.

I'm thinking I'm going to try the speed factors and see how it goes (although popcorn might change my mind).

Thanks everyone.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Everyone above the monsters goes than I go, then the rest of the PCs go, for me it's a matter of not wanting to having to keep track of more than I have to.

Yep, exactly. I know there are some concerns with how certain powers/spells/abilities work (start of X turn, etc) that can throw a bit of a wrench in this, but largely I have found it to be pretty seamless and easy to work around. I believe that anyone can delay their action if they want, even if it doesn't work that way in the rules. And doing it this way is soooo much faster, in my experience.

Rune

Once A Fool
I haven't tried it in my games yet but Popcorn Initiative is interesting and seems to encourage people to pay attention and be more engaged when it is not their turn.

Link to blog talking about the system http://angrydm.com/2013/09/popcorn-initiative-a-great-way-to-adjust-dd-and-pathfinder-initiative-with-a-stupid-name/

Popcorn initiative works very well for 5e (at least with a small party of three to four). My players love it. Super fast, but gives the tactically-minded players a window for synergizing with allies. And still plenty dangerous, especially if they're foolish enough to give the last turn in a round to the enemy.

Oh, and no initiative list to write down or keep track of gets you to the action faster and stays there.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Thanks! I'll check it out now.

EDIT: Hmm. I like it in theory. My main concern would be that the players would always choose to make the monsters go last (which, in 5e, can easily result in them not going at all).

Popcorn handles PCs all going first if that's what they pick - because then the monsters are in control and often end up going twice in a row. (End of round one, then beginning of round 2) which can be a big advantage.

That said, popcorn is from MHR where PC damage output is more consistent. So D&D where multiple opponents can be removed before acting because of a few characters going nova may have consequences on battle dynamics.

Or not, if your nova characters usually focus on good initiative (high dex, alert feat, bard, etc.) anyway.

Popcorn is great for setting up cinematic one-two-three actions from your party.

Gundark

Explorer
Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm going to go with side initiative, rolled every round, and using the following combat sequence, modified from Moldvay:

1. Morale
2. Movement (Includes Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Help, Hide, Search, and Use an Object Actions)
3. Missiles/Movement (Attacks with ranged weapons, plus any movement those characters have left over)
4. Magic/Movement/Saves (Cast a Spell, plus any movement those characters have left over, plus any saves that need to be made)
5. Melee/Movement (Attacks with melee weapons, plus any movement those characters have left over)

Reactions can occur whenever triggered.

What I want to do is get that same feel as in Classic D&D, where you didn't have each person do their full turn while the others waited, but the turns were more woven together.

I like this, does it make things more complicated? I have a larger group, so wondering how it would work out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases