D&D 5E Do you care about setting "canon"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about this thread this morning and it got me evaluating my relationship with Dungeons & Dragons vs that of Marvel comics. I was hoping to tease out the nuance of my reasoning regarding the utility and general place of canon in each. A few things came to the fore of my self-evaluation:

1) Marvel comics is fundamentally a work of serial fiction where continuity, granular characterization of (typically) literary archetypes, classical themes, and broad genre tropes are paramount. This mature and evolved canon came first and developed over the course of considerable years. This, essentially, is Marvel comics.

Much, much later roleplaying games emerged. As a consequence of that temporal relationship, in order for Marvel comics games to avoid being dysfunctional, TTRPGs dedicated to emulating this serial fiction must cohere with and adhere to those characterizations, that continuity, and those broad genre tropes. Gameplay should still produces emergent rather than prescribed stories, but a fairly stout undercurrent of canonical constraints on play are to be expected.

2) D&D, while not being the exact inverse of Marvel comics, it is fundamentally very different. It was, of course, inspired by dozens of sources. However, the primordial soup and henceforth course of D&D is not serial fiction and attendant canonical constraint. It is an odd marriage of macro-cultural zeitgeist, isolated micro-zeitgeists, a heaping helping of (varying in functionality and design tightness) mechanical architecture meant to test player skill, DIY spirit (to make up for all the missing or dysfunctional bits!), an eclectic collage of fantasy goo, and a mish-mash of archetypes and legends. As a consequence, you have a signal of a very broad and zoomed out "D&D story" (such as the Moldvay Basic foreword) which remains uncontroversial coinciding with a whole lot of noise. This Erector Set of bubble gum, paper clips, cherry bombs, bottle rockets, and packing peanuts inevitably produced rather extreme genre and play priority drift.

Unsurprisingly, over time, various niches distilled and refined a few distinct play experiences and aesthetic expectations of "what D&D is." Equally unsurprising (because $2 is better than $1), capitalizing on this zeitgeist, various fictions (settings) would emerge/be sponsored (particularly the 2e era) to compete for the attention of the D&D userbase and the hopeful continual sponsorship by TSR/WotC. Given maturation over the course of a decade and change, they would eventually qualify as serial fictions.

So then. My conclusion from all that is simple:

The genesis and evolution of D&D is distinct from that of Marvel comics. Unlike a Marvel TTRPG, it was neither birthed from granular canon nor does it rely on tight adherence to such as a constraint to maintain its genre identity.

Appended autobiographical footnote:

I've run Ravenloft games, FR games, Dark Sun games, a Planescape game, and many, many, many more games with just off-the-cuff made up setting stuff that still bore that uncontroversial beating heart of "the D&D story" at its core. None of them were more or less "D&D-ish" than the others.

Last edited:

Dorian_Grey

First Post
I posted early on that, yeah don't care. 99 pages later? This is why. All of this about elderan or whatever. Cosmology. Whatev. Yawn. My eyes glazed over. Now bring me an orc to slay!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I dont know what to tell you. To me 5e Elves are a lot closer to the original Fighter/Magic-User Elves that we have had for year then Eladrin are. Obviously not exactly the same because the 5e Multi-Class system is pants but at least a nod to the traditional Elves.

Maybe you could explain why a dimensional hopping Eladrin is better then the 5e Elf?
They don't dimension hop. They have an inherent magical ability. Like every edition of elf.

For instance, if someone has heard that in PS tieflings weren't all the same, but had different ancestries and different infernal traits, then that person already knows enough to implement the change in his/her 4e game!

eh, I didn't know teiflings in PS were variable until at least a year into playing 4e. We still changed the appearance of twiflings in our games because we didn't like the butt forheads and spine beards, or the croc tails. So we thinned the tails, spaced the horns to be more like sinister looking satyr horns, and ditched the face spines. And their eyes are deep black where they should be white, with lightly glowing centers of a given colour.

Easy peasy.

Just look through an Arrow slot and bam, straight through that wall.
Just dump them into a pit. Maybe they can Acid Splash their way to China but good luck to that.
How many doors have arrow slots?
That is rhetorical. We all know the answer is vanishingly few. Misty Step is a bit more useful than jump, but not multiple levels worth.

As for the pit, that assumes you have a pit available and/or time to dig one, and ignores the fact that I can definately get out of that pit with enough acid.

Trust me, I've always played a black dragonborn with acid splash. Climbed a sheet rock cliff face by using acid to created divots in the rock face. Also once used acid splash to collapse the side of a steep embankment to make it easier to get over. Acid splash is even better out of combat than in combat, honestly.

Well that and the fact that the original Eladrin were now gone in 4e...
They aren't, actually. They live in the feywild and are what elves and "mortal" Eladrin were born from.

All they did was say that high elves are just mortal, less magical, Eladrin, who are commonly called various things like "high elf", while their Feywild dwelling ancestors and cousins are more exclusively called Eladrin.

At worst, it's the same kind of borderline retcon "clarification" that DnD does some of all the time.

Much less of an actual change than Gnolls in 5e, as an example.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
2nd ed AD&D MM said:
It is rumored that they have some sort of dealings with the efreeti
Emphasis mine... so not only does nothing in 5e contradict this earlier lore... there is a precedence set in the earlier lore for the connection between them and the Efreeti... 5e fleshed that out.
So, "has dealings with" equals "is enslaved by". And that's not a change?
I agree with Hussar.

The "rumour" that Salamanders have some sort of dealings with Efreeti is utterly anodyne - they're both evil, intelligent beings from the elemental plane of fire, with similar social structures (noble rulers and domineering tendencies in respect of those who are weaker than them). If that's what passes for the genius of 2nd ed monster lore, I'm quite happy to stick to my original Monster Manual (which has all the rest of the information in that entry).

Whereas the idea that salamanders were enslaved by Efreeti is absolutely a change. It turns salamanders from a free but cruel people into an enslaved one.

It also changes Efreeti - in the AD&D MM (p 37) we are told that "Efreet are infamous for their dislike of servitude, their desire for revenge, their cruel nature, and their ability to mislead." There is no reference to their enslavement of Salamanders, which I think would be noteworthy.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There were.

The 'Eladrin' were originally a grid-filling race of outsiders created to populate one of the CG (or CnG or Ncg or whatever) alignment-based outer planes - about as playable as demons, modrons or angels.

Though a case could be made that they were another Tolkien rip-off, since his model elven languages included something called 'Eldarin.'

Of course, everything 4e did or didn't do was an unforgivable sin against The One True D&D(tm), including lifting the name of a now-redundant team-Good(Chaotic) outsider (immortal in 4e) to equally-redundantly paste over 'High Elf.' (why? IDK. to counter claims that there were too many elf sub-races by not calling one of them a '_____ elf?')

As far as the spot on the outer planes grid (wheel) they were filling goes, the corresponding Domain in 4e would have been Arvandor, and it was supplied with Eladrin (among other fey and non-fey 'exalted' enjoying the mixed blessing of having worshiped Correllon/Sehanine/Avandra/Melora or the Seldarine), while the Feywild was the stomping ground of living Eladrin, including the specific seasonally-flavored ones that were originally Outsiders.

Personally, I couldn't help but notice that Arvandor and was just slightly odd and feywildish for a Divine Domain, so I've blurred the distinction between the two in my 4e campaign, leaving it a matter of moot philosphical debate whether it's just an extension of the Feywild into the Astral Sea and rather the immortals/exalted there are actually/also fey or not - whatever, the case, neither fey nor immortals consider themselves 'mortal' in the sense that natural creatures are....

Oh, and the one time a played an Eladrin, he insisted on calling himself a 'High Elf,' and, on a point of religious/philosophical/family dogma, refused to acknowledge the elf/eladrin/drow trichotomy.

Great explanation.

My half elf bard was half eladrin, and the eladrin Feylock I played later viewed "High Elf" as a lady human term used by people who can't be bothered to learn the proper Elven term for an Elf whose blood still carries the old Fey magic.

But yeah, other than some reorganizing of how the planes are understood, and statistical representation....I'm still not sure what actually changed.

also what @Jer said. Especially about Arborea and the Feywild.

Of course, I also have the feywild and the Shadowfell as kinda the same plane, with different regions and domains, and honestly I prefer my planes to be a lot less distinct and rigidly demarcated. Basically I have an Otherworld, which includes bits of both, and some other stuff.

And the elf gods live there, as does the Raven Queen, and Mask (who isn't quite FR mask. More chaotic neutral god of trickery, and not giving a damn about your cosmic balance malarkey) and even some of the more wild demon lords, like that one Minotaur demon.

about gnolls. That is a huge change. It is a change that takes them from being "savage" antagonists that can be fought or bargained with, or PLAYED, and making them only capable of being one thing, because they literally can't NOT rampage. It's a complete contradiction of past lore, and wildly changes the niche they fill in the world.

If gnolls were just hyena-orcs before, they aren't anymore. They can't be anymore. 4e added to them by giving them more roles they can fill, and then 5e completely changed their nature and origin and restricted them to exactly one role that they can ever fill (without homebrew, obviously).

In comparison, Eladrin...still fill the same roll in 4e...and also are high elves. That...only even qualifies as a change by a minor technicality, and it is an entirely additive change to boot.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Everyone always needed to roll 15s to hit? In AD&D *and* 3e? Man, you're right, things *were* the same!
Yes. It was the same. Fighter's had THACO go down 1 per level in 2e. Fighters had BAB go up one per level in 3e. A 20 AC in 3e corresponded to a 0 AC in 20. A 10th level fighter in 2e needed to roll a 10 to hit AC 0. A 10th level fighter in 3e needed a 10 to hit AC 20. Clerics had their THACO go down at the same rate as their BAB went up. It was the same system presented in a different manner. High vs. Low and without a fancy name like THACO.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ok. So why is the Astral Plane and 4e's cosmology a problem then? That's the dodge I was talking about. If Prime and Planescape can exist simultaneously about the same topic, what's the problem with Eladrin?
Comparing different editions isn't really productive. The cosmology truly does change from edition to edition. So comparing 4e's cosmology to Planescape is worthless as they truly are different and it's not prime vs. planar within a single edition. The same goes for Eladrin.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
LOL. So, "has dealings with" equals "is enslaved by". And that's not a change? And I note how you keep ignoring the paragraph before the 5e one you quoted that talks about how salamanders are enslaved. Wow.

No. "Has dealings with" equals "has dealings with.". Nothing there details what sort of dealings those were and slavery is a form of "deal", albeit a very one sided deal. The 5e lore stretches things a bit, but doesn't contradict anything in the 2e lore.

It's also interesting how you completely ignored the post that showed that 5e lore does in fact have free salamanders, and not just noble ones. They are mentioned in the noble section, but it broadens it so that it's not just nobles that exist free.

EDIT: The laughter button... nice, mature way to signify you're really trying to converse and understand the other point of view. It's cool alot of people resort to mockery when something is beyond their understanding...

Jeff Albertson wants a word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads