D&D 5E Reckless Attack / Mirror Image

KarinsDad

Adventurer
A different player took over the DMing role, so I get to play a PC. I am planning on playing a multiclass Barbarian / Wizard.

I was wondering if I am reading Reckless Attack combined with Mirror Image correctly.

RA: "attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn.".

MI: "Each time a creature targets you with an attack during the spell's duration, roll a d20 to determine whether the attack instead targets one of your duplicates.".

So, my interpretation of this is that foes who target my duplicate will not get advantage for my Reckless Attack because they are not targeting my PC. Correct? Thoughts?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
A strict reading supports your conclusion, but there is enough wiggle room to allow for an exception.

On the one hand, the duplicates use a calculation for their AC that is independent of your actual AC. Which means that attacks do, in fact, have a different chance of hitting your duplicate than yourself.

On the other hand, advantage isn't AC. And "the duplicates move with you and mimic your actions", something that could imply that they would also leave themselves open to attacks when you leave yourself open to attacks.

I would have to see it in play personally. The barbarian/wizard is such a horrible multiclass combination that I would be reluctant to outright rule against anything that it could make good use of. Though I have a feeling that this could end up being abusive, because it would bypass an explicit drawback and balancing factor of an ability.

Rexwell

First Post
There have been many huge discussions in many forums about Mirror Image.

In my opinion, the best, most consistent interpretation is that Mirror Image is basically a personal defensive buff against attacks (attack = uses an attack roll; not, for example, needing a saving throw to avoid). Mirror Image has no effect on spells such as Hold Person (saving throw) or Magic Missile (no attack roll).

So the caster is the target of the attack; then the spell effect kicks in to see if the caster has been protected from that attack.

In your scenario, then: your opponent has advantage on his attack roll against you. He picks "you" (you and all your shifting images) as his target and rolls to hit. Roll d20 to see if the attack is resolved vs you or an image. The results of your opponent's attack rolls can be compared to either your or your image's AC at that point depending on where it's attack actually ended.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Although @Leatherhead raises valid points, I'm with @Rexwell on this one.

Even with advantage vs. your PC, the images reduce the chance of your PC taking the damage from a successful hit.

Reckless Attack has its consequences; mirror image moderates those consequences a little. Sometimes, a little is all you need.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Btw, I salute your coming up with a Barbarian/Wizard. As Leatherhead observed, it's something of a counter-intuitive combination.

Otoh, many of us know (or know of) someone who may be brilliant, thin-skinned and hot-tempered. This class combo might become a new trope, unlikely as it may seem at first glance.

By any chance, is your PC's background "Chef"?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Although @Leatherhead raises valid points, I'm with @Rexwell on this one.

Even with advantage vs. your PC, the images reduce the chance of your PC taking the damage from a successful hit.

Reckless Attack has its consequences; mirror image moderates those consequences a little. Sometimes, a little is all you need.

Fair enough. I doubt most DMs give +2 AC to the images due to Haste or Shield of Faith though. If the protection spells that the Wizard has up do not modify the AC of the images (because the images are not the PC and hence not the target of those spells), neither should (targeted) advantage which just applies to the PC.

Cover bonus, on the other hand, should work for the images because the images are in the same square as the PC. Hence, anything in that square should get a cover bonus, images included.

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Btw, I salute your coming up with a Barbarian/Wizard. As Leatherhead observed, it's something of a counter-intuitive combination.

If you think that is counterintuitive, just imagine how counterintuitive it is for the Barbarian to run up and cast Blink on round one followed by a bonus action Rage. He can do both of these 3 times a day. The guy with the best physical defenses (except AC) is not on the tabletop for half of the rounds in the tough fights. :lol:

Otoh, many of us know (or know of) someone who may be brilliant, thin-skinned and hot-tempered. This class combo might become a new trope, unlikely as it may seem at first glance.

By any chance, is your PC's background "Chef"?

No, Inheritor. Nearly all of the PCs have multiple magic items, so the DM is letting me start with one. Inheritor makes sense as to why that is, not only mechanically, but there is a fairly extensive background associated with why he has it, and where having it leads to other adventures for the party.

Fair enough. I doubt most DMs give +2 AC to the images due to Haste or Shield of Faith though. If the protection spells that the Wizard has up do not modify the AC of the images (because the images are not the PC and hence not the target of those spells), neither should (targeted) advantage which just applies to the PC.

Cover bonus, on the other hand, should work for the images because the images are in the same square as the PC. Hence, anything in that square should get a cover bonus, images included.

Mirror Image is already just messed up--it needs to be rewritten to make sense, or else the DM should just go strictly by RAW despite it not making any sense. The core of the nonsense lies in the fact that Mirror Image affects specifically "attacks", where "attack" is the 5E technical jargon meaning "something that requires an attack roll." It makes zero sense that Magic Missile, Frostbite, and Disintegrate are never fooled by Mirror Image but shooting a Fire Bolt or even throwing a Net is. A monk's punch can be fooled by Mirror Image, but a monk's Shove attempt cannot.

Edit: also, Mirror Images get a Dex bonus to AC even if the caster himself is heavily-armored and does not benefit from high Dex. That's analagous to the Reckless Attack thing.

So the OP's interpretation (other images don't count as Reckless) is reasonable IMO, and it's what I'd use as a DM unless and until I got together with the players to rewrite Mirror Image from the ground up.

Last edited:

If you think that is counterintuitive, just imagine how counterintuitive it is for the Barbarian to run up and cast Blink on round one followed by a bonus action Rage. He can do both of these 3 times a day.

Unfortunately that doesn't work as written. Rage ends at the end of your turn if you have not made an attack or taken damage, so you're spending your bonus action to start a rage which then immediately ends. You could make it work by provoking an opportunity attack during your turn, though, assuming it hits; or you could just cast Blink on one round and then do Rage + Attack on a subsequent round.

Remove ads