Superheroes are a hot commodity -- why aren't superhero RPG's?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Marvel Heroic RPG allowed Daredevil to fight along with Thor or the Hulk with no problems. The great thing is that the Cortex Prime KS is running right now (I think 24 hours left) and will bring back the mechanics that we loved for MHR and adding even more stuff to the game.

I feel once Cortex Prime goes out to the public, you'll be seeing alot of Superhero games being runned than before.
I didn't know that. I have the Hacker's Guide and Cortex Classic PDFs. Good to know more is coming.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

ProtoClone

First Post
I guess, for me, it's campaigning for the long term.
Trying to find a way to keep a game going, beyond a few sessions as a brief break, is really hard. Finding a good group willing to play the roles is also difficult.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
OK, I have to ask: why are so many people complaining about a lack of stories/plots? I mean, my personal perspective involved many decades of reading comics, so not only am I aware of the many stories that can be told, but also how they get retold and retold and retold.

But because of my extreme familiarity, I don't have perspective on why some would have difficulty.

So enlighten me; perhaps I can help.

Jhaelen

First Post
Good question. For some reason I've never been interested in playing a super hero RPG. Given that I (used to) enjoy super hero comics, I'm not sure why that is.

Apart from 'villain of the week', I don't really have any good ideas what such a game should be about, either.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Depending on the particular heroes, the campaign could include:

1) investigating crimes or phenomena
2) espionage & war
3) intelligent villain of the week
4) monstrous villain of the week
5) rivalry/frenemy fights
6) mistaken ID fights
7) saving imperiled civilians
8) framed for something + manhunt
9) lost in space/multiverse/time
10) government interference/politics
11) hate groups & paranoia
12) intelligent recurring villain
13) monstrous recurring villain

Any and all of which can be combined as needed.

And there are all kinds of complications, like...what happens when the heroes' powers or gear are unavailable, unreliable, out of control or otherwise neutralized? Deathtraps? Amnesia or insanity? Something from their backgrounds? Secret ID exposed?

Argyle King

Legend
The concept of the last Supers game I GMed was loosely based upon some of the story ideas from The Watchmen and from Mystery Men.

Silver Shadow (the main hero* of place called Paragon City*) had recently been found dead inside of the place he lived. Strangely, there were no signs of forced entry, and none of the security cameras showed someone entering the building. However, there were some obvious signs that he did not die of natural causes. The PCs were all lower-tier heroes who had some connection to Silver Shadow or some reason to care about his death. The players created their own heroes. I did allow what were essentially clones of some Marvel and DC characters, but I worked with each player to fit their concepts into a different world with different assumptions, and this lead to unique characters.

*I know there is a MMO based in Paragon City, but the game had no relation to that. I just liked the name.
*What I mean by "main hero" is that Silver Shadow was analogous to Batman in Gotham City or Superman in Metropolis.

Last edited:

Virgo

Explorer
The concept of the last Supers game I GMed was loosely based upon some of the story ideas from The Watchmen and from Mystery Men.

Silver Shadow (the main hero* of place called Paragon City*) had recently been found dead inside of the place he lived. Strangely, there were no signs of forced entry, and none of the security cameras showed someone entering the building. However, there were some obvious signs that he did not die of natural causes. The PCs were all lower-tier heroes who had some connection to Silver Shadow or some reason to care about his death. The players created their own heroes. I did allow what were essentially clones of some Marvel and DC characters, but I worked with each player to fit their concepts into a different world with different assumptions, and this lead to unique characters.

*I know there is a MMO based in Paragon City, but the game had no relation to that. I just liked the name.
*What I mean by "main hero" is that Silver Shadow was analogous to Batman in Gotham City or Superman in Metropolis.

Excellent starting point/motivation for players to form their group!

And you are correct -- Paragon City was the location for the "City of Heroes" MMO, which sadly shut down its servers on 11/30/12. "DC Universe Online" has its game-world in iconic locations like Metropolis and Gotham City. I believe the main location for "Champions Online" is Millennium City.

PyroArrow

Explorer
New Update on the "Villian And Vigilantes 3.0: Mighty Protectors" game:

From the KickStarter:
Quick MPRPG Update
Posted by Jeff Dee (Creator)
The writing on the final piece of the document - the Mighty Protectors Multiverse setting section - has been completed, and we're very happy with it. We're taking a couple of days for in-house proofreading on that. The interior artwork is done (did we say 12 half-page comic strips? make that 13), except for a couple of drawings for the example of play. We'll be at NTRPGCon this week, running adventures and doing another seminar on the history of the game and the new edition. We expect to dive into putting all the pieces together as soon as we're back. Sorry for all the delays, but we're still making steady progress and the finish line is in sight. Thanks as usual for your patience and support!
-Jack & Jeff

Remove ads