Survivor Appendix E (5e) Authors- Ursula K. LeGWINS!

squibbles

Adventurer
Alexander, Lloyd 22
Cook, Glen 21

Jemisin, N.K. 18

Kay, Guy Gavriel 21

LeGuin, Ursula 21
+1=22
Lynch, Scott 20

McKillip, Patricia 21

Peake, Mervyn 18

Pratchett, Terry 17
Sanderson, Brandon 15-2=13
Wolfe, Gene 22

squibbles

Adventurer
I didn't check the thread for a few days and, lo and behold, my go to +1 vote Clark Ashton Smith was eliminated.

As far as I can tell, nobody in the 6-7 pages of his slow burning elimination commented on their down vote. So, I'm curious, why did my boy CAS deserve the axe?

Alexander, Lloyd 22
Cook, Glen 21
Jemisin, N.K. 18
Kay, Guy Gavriel 19
LeGuin, Ursula 22
Lynch, Scott 20
McKillip, Patricia 21
Peake, Mervyn 18
Pratchett, Terry 18
Sanderson, Brandon 13
Wolfe, Gene 22

I didn't check the thread for a few days and, lo and behold, my go to +1 vote Clark Ashton Smith was eliminated.

As far as I can tell, nobody in the 6-7 pages of his slow burning elimination commented on their down vote. So, I'm curious, why did my boy CAS deserve the axe?

At a guess, because no one had read him. These kind of polls are usually skewed towards whoever published recently, as those books are in the shops and people have short memories.

American fantasy author, most famous for the Chronicles of Prydain which is probably best known for spawning the not particularly well-received (but better than I think most people give it credit for) Disney movie The Black Cauldron (Alexander himself once remarked that it bore little resemblance to his own work, but he enjoyed it well enough on its own merits). They were a pretty excellent series of youth-oriented fantasy novels in that they were fully appropriate for all ages without being "kiddy" or shying away from being genuinely dark and depressing at times. I'd highly recommend them.

Oh, him! I watched the Black Cauldron a couple of weeks ago thinking "I'm sure this was based on a much better book!" I suspect he is less well known in the UK.

There is a difference between "works about misogyny" and "works that are misogynistic". Howard's works fall pretty squarely in the latter in most instances; whereas from what I can find from a short trip down Google (I've not read his works myself) Kay tends to be regarded more in the former category.

I've read both, and it was Kay's work that I felt was truly misogynistic, with Howard being more fairly categorised as "adolescent male power fantasy". Red Nails has a female protagonist who is the equal of Conan.

mortwatcher

Explorer
Alexander, Lloyd 22
Cook, Glen 22
Jemisin, N.K. 18
Kay, Guy Gavriel 19
LeGuin, Ursula 20
Lynch, Scott 20
McKillip, Patricia 21
Peake, Mervyn 18
Pratchett, Terry 18
Sanderson, Brandon 13
Wolfe, Gene 22

As much as I'd like to dispute what [MENTION=15700]Sacrosanct[/MENTION] is saying, I cannot. I know about 2 authors by name from this list. But I am terrible at remembering names. I know I read Conan when I was younger, but couldn't tell you who wrote it from memory (it was a while ago). It's more likely that I can tell you how the cover of the book looked like than who wrote it. :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Alexander, Lloyd 22
Cook, Glen 22
Jemisin, N.K. 18
Kay, Guy Gavriel 19
LeGuin, Ursula 20
Lynch, Scott 21
McKillip, Patricia 21
Peake, Mervyn 16
Pratchett, Terry 18
Sanderson, Brandon 13