WOIN Damage Types and Soak

Fortuitous

Explorer
I would like to clarify who different damage types and SOAK work.

Let's take the Firemage's Flaming Touch ability as an example. Flaming Touch causes your unarmed attacks to deal 1d6 heat damage in addition to their normal damage. Let's assume that this means the character is doing 2d6 bludgeoning damage, 1d6 heat damage with his unarmed strikes. Let's say he rolls 10 bludgeoning damage and 3 heat damage.

If the person he is targeting has 6 SOAK, would that mean he deals 4 bludgeoning damage and 0 heat damage, with the 6 SOAK applying to both damage types individually, or would he deal 7 damage (10+3=13 total damage, reduce by 6 for soak).

Let's say the character has a strength that gives him 3 dice pool, meaning +3 damage to melee attacks. Does he choose which damage type to add the 3 to? Or does it default to bludgeoning?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
99% of the time the damage type won't matter, so you can deduct the SOAK from the total. The STR bonus applies to his base damage, not to the exploit, so it goes to the bunt damage should that info be needed. The times it will matter are if the target has SOAK to only blunt or only fire, in which case it could only reduce those portions of the total.

Fortuitous

Explorer
So what is a character deals 6 fire damage and 11 blunt damage. The target has 5 soak from armor, but has 10 soak specifically against fire?

What if the target onlt has 5 soak from armor?

knikpiw

Explorer
In another thread by Quadra Kev, I gave a possible solution to this that would work in the exact same way as Poison does (A poisoned knife, bio-active ammo etc.) Have a look and tell me what you think.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So what is a character deals 6 fire damage and 11 blunt damage. The target has 5 soak from armor, but has 10 soak specifically against fire?

What if the target onlt has 5 soak from armor?

Takes 6 blunt damage.

Second question, takes 11 blunt and 1 fire damage.

Remove ads