Now You Can Play With Vin Diesel's WITCH HUNTER Class!

The class played by Vin Diesel in his recent D&D game was a custom class called the Witch Hunter, designed for him by DM Matt Mercer. Geek & Sundry has released the class as a nine-page PDF! "In a landscape tormented by all manner of beasts, devils, and abominations from beyond the veil, most live in fear of the dark, of superstition, and of the unknown. Some grow hardened by this experience, instead choosing to stand up and fight against the tide of shadow. These folk are called 'heroes'. Some, however, are so fanatical and bent on destroying the anethema that plagues the countryside that they embrace dark, forbidden knowledge. They so obsessively research forgotten magics and dangerous, experimental alchemy to become the perfect hunter that their humanity is often called into question. These folk are called 'Witch Hunters'."

The class played by Vin Diesel in his recent D&D game was a custom class called the Witch Hunter, designed for him by DM Matt Mercer. Geek & Sundry has released the class as a nine-page PDF! "In a landscape tormented by all manner of beasts, devils, and abominations from beyond the veil, most live in fear of the dark, of superstition, and of the unknown. Some grow hardened by this experience, instead choosing to stand up and fight against the tide of shadow. These folk are called 'heroes'. Some, however, are so fanatical and bent on destroying the anethema that plagues the countryside that they embrace dark, forbidden knowledge. They so obsessively research forgotten magics and dangerous, experimental alchemy to become the perfect hunter that their humanity is often called into question. These folk are called 'Witch Hunters'."

Find the PDF over at Geek & Sundry here. It's a fully illustrated 20-level class for D&D 5th Edition, with three Orders to choose from - Order of the Ghostslayer, Order of the Profane Soul, and Order of the Mutant.

Watch Vin Diesel's D&D game below.

[video=youtube;yLEMb_RIZ3o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLEMb_RIZ3o[/video]

daddystabz

Explorer
I want to quickly roll one of these for my Ravenloft game I play in tonight. Probably a human. What feat(s) do you all recommend and if I go primarily with a DEX build what weapons do you all recommend. He would be starting a 8th. lvl because that is currently what the other characters are in the game.

Orlax

First Post
I want to quickly roll one of these for my Ravenloft game I play in tonight. Probably a human. What feat(s) do you all recommend and if I go primarily with a DEX build what weapons do you all recommend. He would be starting a 8th. lvl because that is currently what the other characters are in the game.

Crossbow expert, sharpshooter, use a single hand crossbow and use your bonus action for the hand crossbow attack. Since you have a free hand, and ignore the loading property (thanks to crossbow expert), and since the hand crossbow counts as a one handed weapon you can get three attacks per round which will net you 3d6 extra damage from blood rite.

Which order you going with?

Orlax

First Post
Which order do you think looks best? I was originally leaning toward Mutant but open to the others too.

The mutagen is fun looking, but some of the negatives are pretty rough, and the best combo there doesn't present itself until 10th (mix up precision and reconstruction and have both running at the same time).

I actually say the ghost slayer is excellent, especially for ravenloft where ability and hit point drain are rampant. You'll take half the drain and as a bonus you add your wisdom mod in radiant damage to all of those attacks you are making with the hand crossbow. You are a bit MAD with the dex wis con spread, but you are a human, and since you are going with only one weapon to hit with blood rite and are working mostly from range you can afford a 14 con.

Orlax

First Post
What weapon to compliment the crossbow? Maybe a Falcion or Rapier? Which type of crossbow is recommended?

Hand crossbow and a rapier for when you must melee. Though the beauty of crossbow expert is that you will never really need to hit up a melee weapon because the hand crossbow will work in melee

daddystabz

Explorer
I'm rolling up a lvl 8 Witch Hunter right now and I am worried about the survivability of this character. He only has 68 HPs at lvl 8. when he uses Blood Rite he will only be at 60 HPs, which would put him to lower HPs than the Wizard in the group. A D10 hit die makes more sense for this character, especially since he can only use medium armor.

MindxKiller

Explorer
I'm also worried about the survivability of the Witch Hunter I'm making for an Out of the Abyss campaign, if I want to dual wield I lose a MASSIVE amount of hp for a melee character yet it seems like the class pushes you towards dual wielding with the blood rite ability. For instance, a level 10 Witch Hunter with 16 con has 83 hp, assuming you took average at every level after first, if you use blood rite on two shortswords you're reducing your hp to 63, that's lower than a wizard with the same setup. I plan to take the mutant order and multiclass a bit of rogue since that's the class I originally planned to play and this character will fill the same sort of role as scout/stealth. How would you guys feel if it were only half your level (minimum 1)? Using the above assumptions, blood rite would reduce your hp to 73 instead, putting you at about the same hp as a wizard. Is that a better method?

Orlax

First Post
I'm also worried about the survivability of the Witch Hunter I'm making for an Out of the Abyss campaign, if I want to dual wield I lose a MASSIVE amount of hp for a melee character yet it seems like the class pushes you towards dual wielding with the blood rite ability. For instance, a level 10 Witch Hunter with 16 con has 83 hp, assuming you took average at every level after first, if you use blood rite on two shortswords you're reducing your hp to 63, that's lower than a wizard with the same setup. I plan to take the mutant order and multiclass a bit of rogue since that's the class I originally planned to play and this character will fill the same sort of role as scout/stealth. How would you guys feel if it were only half your level (minimum 1)? Using the above assumptions, blood rite would reduce your hp to 73 instead, putting you at about the same hp as a wizard. Is that a better method?

There's a reason I suggest the hand crossbow build. Because ranged combat is this guy's friend. It is basically that or polearm master. Dual wielding is specifically a bad idea for this class. Rogue and this class don't play particularly will with each other because witch hunter is trying to push number of attacks while rogue pushes singular incredibly strong attacks. I mean dipping rogue to hit expertise is still worth it and it will toss an extra d6 into your damage mix, but I wouldn't go much pass the utility dip. Mutagen while interesting is the weakest of the three Subclasses. If you are going for a roguish slant the ghost hunter is your subclass that's the one that doesn't need light (ever) can see most secrets (thanks wisdom based class) and can't be restrained (screw getting arrested).

MindxKiller

Explorer
There's a reason I suggest the hand crossbow build. Because ranged combat is this guy's friend. It is basically that or polearm master. Dual wielding is specifically a bad idea for this class. Rogue and this class don't play particularly will with each other because witch hunter is trying to push number of attacks while rogue pushes singular incredibly strong attacks. I mean dipping rogue to hit expertise is still worth it and it will toss an extra d6 into your damage mix, but I wouldn't go much pass the utility dip. Mutagen while interesting is the weakest of the three Subclasses. If you are going for a roguish slant the ghost hunter is your subclass that's the one that doesn't need light (ever) can see most secrets (thanks wisdom based class) and can't be restrained (screw getting arrested).

The thing about the Ghostslayer though is it only gets the devil's sight at 15th level, where as the Mutant gets darkvision at level 3 if you choose the mutagen. With the campaign taking place probably exclusively in the underdark and ending around level 15 I dont think the ghostslayer vision ability will be used much. Also I don't understand why you would rate the mutagen as the weakest, it has some of the classes strongest abilities, namely cruelty, precision and reconstruction with side effects of course. I just dont see how 3-4 extra damage per attack beats a whole extra single attack at level 10, or critting on an 18-20 at level 12 (19-20 at level 7), or regenerating half your level in hp every turn at level 7, hell even increasing your dex score by your con modifier is nearly as much extra damage with the added benefit of also increasing accuracy, AC, initiative, dex saves and skills by the same amount and that's at level 3. The Ghostslayer is just far too bottom heavy to be as good in my opinion, all the really cool features are level 15+, am I missing something big that makes it so much better than the Mutant?

Remove ads

Remove ads