What Are These Four Unnamed D&D Products?

The folks over at Nerds On Earth spotted four as-yet untitled D&D products listed on Amazon. Often these appear with codenames (such as when we discovered Labyrinth, which was the codename for Tales from the Yawning Portal due on 4th April) and other times they have no information at all other than an ISBN number. We don't know much about upcoming releases, other than that there is some kind of major rules expansion in the works (but it could be anything from months to years off) and that Adventure Time's Pendleton Ward helped on something. Nerds On Earth spotted the following four entries.

The folks over at Nerds On Earth spotted four as-yet untitled D&D products listed on Amazon. Often these appear with codenames (such as when we discovered Labyrinth, which was the codename for Tales from the Yawning Portal due on 4th April) and other times they have no information at all other than an ISBN number. We don't know much about upcoming releases, other than that there is some kind of major rules expansion in the works (but it could be anything from months to years off) and that Adventure Time's Pendleton Ward helped on something. Nerds On Earth spotted the following four entries.

Each has the name "Untitled RPG Accessory" by Wizards RPG Team (that's the authorname all the D&D books use). They all have a noted shipping weight of 5 ounces, which suggests maybe that's a default weight (by comparison, the Player's Handbook is listed at 2.2 pounds and Volo's Guide to Monsters is 1.3 pounds). All four are listed as "Brdgm edition", which other D&D books aren't.

None of those items are the big ticket hardcovers, which tend to have a price of $49.95. Sword Coast Adventurers Guide was $39.95, and things like Dungeonology and Monsters & Heroes of the Realms were published by other companies. DM Screens and cards and similar accessories are usually handled by Gale Force 9. WotC's Mike Mearls has hinted a couple of times about a major rules expansion in the pipeline, but the latest is that "We are still deciding what form that will take" - so that sounds like its some way off yet.

What's your guess?

Ampersand Transparent.png

SaveSave

Grimstaff

Explorer
I'd love a printed "Best of Unearthed Arcana" book, like when they used to "Best of The Dragon" years back. It'd be a good way of getting the most well-received stuff to tables while still keeping it heavily "optional", at least compared to something like a "PHB2".

CydKnight

Explorer
A new Starter Set with an introductory module that is NOT set in the Forgotten Realms would be interesting.
A new Starter Set (or any Starter Set for that matter), is not going to mean the same thing to an experienced player that it is to someone being introduced to the game for the first time. So while it may be interesting to an experienced player, it needs to be simple and easy to understand and more importantly make new players want more. The setting is really a secondary consideration at best after that.

I know there was a survey on accessories last year, along with talk on Twitter.

Now, before I get too speculative, let's actually get realistic for a second. The starter set is around $20 and a 64-page softcover book would also retail around $25. So only one is at "book" price.
The current starter set is doing very well and is still selling. It's #576 in books and #5 in D&D on Amazon. It's currently far outselling the Pathfinder books, with the best-selling Pathfinder book being #6,479. It is the best selling adventure right now by a wide margin. They're not going to replace that without good reason.
Now, they *could* easily improve the product. It's not particularly revolutionary, and doesn't hype the Basic Rules as much as it could and doesn't mention the DMsGuild. But that's a long-shot.

The Dungeon Master's screen is also still selling well. It retails for $14.95, which is the same price as the July release. So they *could* be planning a revision to the screen. But their partner GaleForce9 is doing a new screen every six months. That seems like something left to them. Unless they're doing something different...

Okay, let's actually look at what they could be

RPG Accessory #1: Release date of October 17, 2017 with a price of $24.95
The most likely priced "book". But probably something else.
Given their annual hardcover accessory is typically in November and costs $50, this is unlikely an RPG book. The team isn't so large that they could do two RPG books that release a month apart.

I'm guessing the return of Dungeon Tiles or some kind of map. I'd love Dungeon Tiles that you could take a wet or dry erase marker to. This could also be tokens to use in place or minis: pogs and such like in 4e. For this price they could easily have 6 to 8 sheets of cardstock pogs.

RPG Accessory #2: Release date of September 19, 2017 with a price of $19.95
Like the above, this could be Dungeon Tiles or maps or tokens.

RPG Accessory #3: Release date of July 18, 2017 with a price of $14.95
The best thing that fits this price is a revised DMs Screen with less art and more details. Maybe laminated to take wet and dry erase markers.

I imagine an initiative tracking board could also be of use. Like the Pathfinder Combat Pad: http://paizo.com/products/btpy9fkg/discuss?Pathfinder-Combat-Pad
Making it magnetic would knock up the price though...

RPG Accessory #4: Release date of June 20, 2017 with a price of $9.95
About the price of a deck of cards from GF9. What I'd like most is condition cards. Cards with the full effects of each condition printed out. I've done my own. But actually cards would be preferable, being sturdier and coloured.

This could also be a set of dice. New players might be getting confused between "D&D Dice" and generic dice, not entirely realising you can just get a set of Chessex dice and it works. A set of D&D dice (possibly with the Ampersand on the 20 or the 1) might be fun.

Honestly, I think WotC might surprise us with something new and interesting. They've been surprising us at every turn and not doing the expected products, and I don't see why that'd stop now.

alienux

Explorer
I think that the "Brdgm edition" tag is important here. I'm guessing that it's a new board game (the $24.95 one) and various game expansions for that and other games.
That's what I was going to post. It seems like it might be another Adventure Series game, or more minis/expansions for some of those.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads