D&D 5E Super Monk Jumps

Tormyr

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies everybody.

Doesn't look like there's a clear consensus or rule for this.

My initial feeling was frustration at what I thought seemed OP. But some of the replies here have changed my mind to allow it at X6.

Super Monk Jumping would be super cinematic.

[MENTION=277]jasper[/MENTION] makes a good point about both the ring and step of the wind requiring a bonus action. However the jump spell lasts a minute, so the effects could be combined on the next turn.

jgsugden

Legend
D&D is an RPG. A role playing game. Characters play a role in a story. Your job, as DM, is to make it a good story.

Whenever there is rule ambiguity that can have multiple interpretations, and neither interpretation 'breaks the game', make the choice that makes for the best stories.

A monk that combines Ki and magic to leap like a meth riddled flea? AWESOME. Does it break the game? Considering it is inherently weaker than flying, which you can get with one uncommon magic item pretty easily, the answer is no.

I would absolutely go for the greater more permissive interpretation.

Wulffolk

Explorer
Thanks for the replies everybody.

Doesn't look like there's a clear consensus or rule for this.

My initial feeling was frustration at what I thought seemed OP. But some of the replies here have changed my mind to allow it at X6.

Super Monk Jumping would be super cinematic.

Seems like the following quote was exactly what you were looking for.

jasper said:
Ring of jumping is a bonus action
Step of the wind is 1 ki pt disengage or dash action AS a BONUS action. SO one or the other.
Jump distance long jump srd page 85. Is str score. So Str x 2 for wind. Jump spell/ring Str * 3

So, one or the other bonus action. Sort of what I was getting at in my earlier post, but jasper made the point better.

Seems like the following quote was exactly what you were looking for.

My interpretation of Step of the Wind only requires the bonus action for the Disengage or Dash. The jump portion of the ki feature is not a bonus action.

See the text:

"You can spend 1 ki point to take the Disengage or Dash action as a Bonus Action on Your Turn, and your jump distance is doubled for the turn."

ad_hoc

(they/them)
My interpretation of Step of the Wind only requires the bonus action for the Disengage or Dash. The jump portion of the ki feature is not a bonus action.

See the text:

"You can spend 1 ki point to take the Disengage or Dash action as a Bonus Action on Your Turn, and your jump distance is doubled for the turn."

You need to spend the 1 ki and use a bonus action to get the added jump distance.

The bonus action Jump spell does last for 1 minute so on 1 turn you can cast the spell and then on later turns you can use your Monk ability to spend ki and a bonus action to jump further (and dash of course).

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

See the text:

Right, I spend 1 ki point. I now have the option to use my bonus action to Dash or Disengage. Further, my jump distance is doubled for the turn.

I'm in the additive, not multiplicative, camp. No reason other than it limits really powerful abuse if something else comes out that could stack.

Wulffolk

Explorer
Using the greatest modifier without stacking seems to be more in line with the spirit of 5e and Bounded Accuracy. Part of what they were actively trying to avoid with this edition was the escalation of stacking modifiers, hence the use of Concentration to limit spell stacking.

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to private games. There is only right for us, and wrong for us. As others have said, choose the feel that you want your game to have and make your decision based on that. I usually choose to minimize bonuses in order to keep things less crazy.

5ekyu

Hero
From the PHB "The effects of different spells add together while the durations of those spells overlap."

So if you want a strictly RAW and there is no Sage info on this i would not go with 6x which is multiplying them AND also basically counting your base speed twice.

i would actually go with 40'... +10' from the doubling and +20' from the tripling to the base speed.

But really, the limit will still be your speed (dashed if needed) as jump is really just a transform of type of movement, not actually a "speed" on its own.

Why not 60ft? Does it in amy way break the game? I don't think so and I rather think it is quite cool. So I would go with x6. If yoj gave the character winged boots instead he would be more mobile. Note that jumbping does not directly prevent opportunity attacks or anything. You should however know the advantages and disadvantages of jumping 30ft high during that jump.

Tormyr

Adventurer
From the PHB "The effects of different spells add together while the durations of those spells overlap."

So if you want a strictly RAW and there is no Sage info on this *snip*

As [MENTION=277]jasper[/MENTION] pointed out earlier, Xanathar's clarifies that the proper name of the effect is what is important for determining what stacks rather than the effect itself. So multiple jump spells do not stack, but jump should stack with Step of the Wind.

Step of the Wind merely allows the monk to jump as well as a strength fighter at the cost of a ki point.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases