Pathfinder 1E Gatling Gun: New Siege weapon.

Puxido

First Post
Ok, I thought up some rules on how a gatling gun might work in Pathfinder for your wild west campaigns and what not.

Gatling gun: Deals 1d10 damage
capacity: 1d12+
Rules: A gatling gun uses a chain fed ammunition supply, requiring the user to crank the lever to shoot the gun. There are typically 6 barrels on the common gatling gun, and it requires you to turn it a unit to fire another round. You roll a D12 to figure how many rounds are fired that round, plus your strength modifier, for your strength modifier effects how fast you pump the crank per round. Firing the gatling gun is a full round attack option. For proficiencies and weapon grouping, the gatling gun counts as a siege weapon. Since the gatling gun has no sight, you take a minus 2 to all attack rolls when firing the gun. The gatling gun has no misfire.

Ramaster

Adventurer
Looks a bit... wildly imbalanced.

Let me see if I got it right.

The amount of shots fired is 1d12 + STR mod and each of those deals 1d10?
That gives you a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 120 DMG. And that's just assuming that your SRT modifier is 0.

Personally, I don't see what's the use for this as a siege weapon. If you can use it on regular encounters, then it's vastly overpowered (I assume that it uses touch attacks, like most firearms, but there is no range). Purely as a siege weapon it has little to no appeal.

Now for my suggestion: just make it a rifle that fires 2d3 times per round for 1d8. I would add a missfire value, probably that of the rifle too. Also, you should set it up on a tripod or something. Meaning that it eats up actions on combat and it's mostly used to set up defensive positions.

Ramaster

Adventurer
Yeah, ok, it doesn't have to be balanced.

2d3 hits for 1d8 dmg each is a average of 4 hits for 18 damage total. More than enough to shot down a 1st level samurai.

My version was a bit more "low tech" than the one displayed on the video. I was aiming for a Wild West weapon, and that one seems rather more modern.

Another way of modeling the weapon would be with an AOE attack. Make a DEX 15 save or take 3d8 damage (save for half), 20 ft circle or a very long (like 300ft) line. Adjust the DC/DMG for your intended lethality and you are pretty much set.

Derren

Hero
My version was a bit more "low tech" than the one displayed on the video. I was aiming for a Wild West weapon, and that one seems rather more modern.

1870s pretty much is wild west (cattle rush, Wyatt Earp, Jesse James, Billy the Kid, etc.) and the Boshin war depicted in the trailer happened in 1869, including the use of the gatling gun.

Last edited:

Puxido

First Post
Looks a bit... wildly imbalanced.

Let me see if I got it right.

The amount of shots fired is 1d12 + STR mod and each of those deals 1d10?
That gives you a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 120 DMG. And that's just assuming that your SRT modifier is 0.

Personally, I don't see what's the use for this as a siege weapon. If you can use it on regular encounters, then it's vastly overpowered (I assume that it uses touch attacks, like most firearms, but there is no range). Purely as a siege weapon it has little to no appeal.

Now for my suggestion: just make it a rifle that fires 2d3 times per round for 1d8. I would add a missfire value, probably that of the rifle too. Also, you should set it up on a tripod or something. Meaning that it eats up actions on combat and it's mostly used to set up defensive positions.

Well, I never considered making it a personal weapon, let's try to imagine that.
Edward_leaving_town_with_gatling_gun.jpg
But lets remember, my party is not made up of unrealistic comic book characters, so that's definitely a no-go.

This weapon is surely not for personal use, as Derren pointed out, it is usually horse drawn, it's heavy weaponry, it's a Siege weapon, I made it for the times your characters are going to be involved with the military or a personal army. Characters don't have personal ballistas, and if they did, they wouldn't take them around everywhere, because its heavy and hard to move. The gatling gun is not for taking down the dungeon boss in the depths of a cave, its for taking down a legion of orcs (lets say 90-150, I'd treat them as one large piece on the board though just to make it easier to handle, but add the health together, so it could range around 540HP for this legion as a whole ) attacking a settlement. Most gatling guns my party would come across would be stationary, attached to the side of a boat like a swivel, or attached to a carriage used by the Dwarf confederacy or something. If a character somehow convinced me to let him own a gatling gun, then he would have to worry about dragging it by horse or carriage everywhere, meaning it would probably be left home a lot, and he certainly wouldn't take it down into a cave or something of the sorts. Next, he would have to worry about his own personal ammunition, now I didn't put it down on this list mainly because you normally don't own yours, you borrow it from an army. If you owned yours, you would have to but each bullet, and seeing it fires 12 plus your str modifier each round, he probably couldn't afford to take it out everyday, stick with your revolvers dude.

Let's also be aware, they'd probably only see these at later levels, this certainly isn't level one gear. He's not going to use this on a village of goblins, he's going to be using this on the back of a carriage shooting a herd of tyrannosaurus's (each having 153 hp, maybe more or less) that are chasing you down. I would also probably adjust the XP gain while using one of these as a means to mow down foe's, Characters using the gatling gun gain 1/4 experience while defeating creatures and vehicles that you would normally gain full xp from. Maybe I'll adjust it to 1/5 or 1/7 or something, have to do the math first.

Remove ads