• Barbarian

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Druid

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Paladin

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Wizard

Votes: 17 48.6%

Just wanted to make a poll to help me choose a back up character.

Also, if you have the time, talk about the specific subclass choice.(If you want to go deeper, Race/Background....etc, I welcome it.)

Current Party Set Up(Currently Level 3):

Eldritch Knight Fighter - Sword/Shield
Hexblade Warlock(Me) - Sword/Shield
Nature Cleric
Arcane Trickster Rogue

Choices:

Barbarian:

Druid:
  • Moon Druid

Paladin:

Wizard:

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Out of any of them, if you planned to keep the same role/balance of skillsets in the party, of all of the choices, all are viable, but I would go with the Wizard options the LEAST. Your party makeup sounds like, "up-close-fight, up-close-fight, divine heal/support, and skills/arcane support." Any of your choices except for the Wizard ones sounds like replacement for "up-close-fight."

If you aren't pressed to maintain group role, then any are viable, depends on which ones speak to you, and why. Why Paladin/Treachery or Paladin/Conquest? Is the group evil-leaning?

Out of any of them, if you planned to keep the same role/balance of skillsets in the party, of all of the choices, all are viable, but I would go with the Wizard options the LEAST. Your party makeup sounds like, "up-close-fight, up-close-fight, divine heal/support, and skills/arcane support." Any of your choices except for the Wizard ones sounds like replacement for "up-close-fight."

If you aren't pressed to maintain group role, then any are viable, depends on which ones speak to you, and why. Why Paladin/Treachery or Paladin/Conquest? Is the group evil-leaning?

I'll agree treachery is evil....so I'll probably lop that choice off.

Edit: And now reading over the background of conquest, I'm leaning toward that is evil as well.

Although, I like to think of conquest as the guy who wants to rule(not necessarily evil).

Henry

Autoexreginated
Nothing wrong with interpreting it a little differently. Conquest is not outright evil, but it isn't "good will and puppies," either. Definitely sketchy or sketchy- adjacent. :)

any class speak to you more than others? Want to get off the front lines, or happy with being there? Am i correct in assuming your hexblade is front-line?

I'd suggest Moon Druid myself, mainly because I'm playing one recently and loving it. :) good utility, but easy to stay front-line thanks to wild shape. Warning, though, you do spend a LOT of time as size Large or even Huge, and this makes a difference if your group is underground a lot.

Nothing wrong with interpreting it a little differently. Conquest is not outright evil, but it isn't "good will and puppies," either. Definitely sketchy or sketchy- adjacent.

I agree, Conquest isn't all goody...you gotta be willing to fight to be a ruler. But maybe it's worth it for the greater good.

any class speak to you more than others?

Oh man, I wish I could figure out which one I'm leaning toward more.

Want to get off the front lines, or happy with being there?

Well, I don't know to be honest. I like front lines, but I also enjoy a good support class(Wizard is my favorite)

Am i correct in assuming your hexblade is front-line?

Yeah, currently my warlock is up in melee with the fighter.

I'd suggest Moon Druid myself, mainly because I'm playing one recently and loving it. :) good utility, but easy to stay front-line thanks to wild shape. Warning, though, you do spend a LOT of time as size Large or even Huge, and this makes a difference if your group is underground a lot.

Yeah, I put Druid as a choice because of exactly what you said. Full caster that's also a solid front liner.

Last edited:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Of those choices Moon Druid. I prefer the Back-caster Land, but Druid for me.

Why don't you roll a few and level them as you go. Always a fun part of D&D

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
If you want to be a wizard, and if you like the notion of being "in the fight" as noted by [MENTION=158]Henry[/MENTION], why not a bladesinger wizard? (I know very little about the class, just that they are, presumably good in a fight). Another alternative would be a mountain dwarf wizard with abjuration specialty (*very tough*, medium armor, axes)... you wouldn't be an expert meleeist per say, but you would be doing fine on the front lines.

Seems like the way to go to get best of both worlds.

Last edited:

SunGold

First Post
Voting dex/con barb because I made one with that guide and it's so damn fun to play. She eats damage for breakfast!

Remove ads