Archer build

Tyler Dunn

Explorer
Can someone suggest a good build for an archer that can also fill the role of a rogue in a party (trap disarming and sneaking around)? Something that is good through all 20 levels?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Fighter with archery fighting style and the Urchin Background. Sharpshooter for more damage. Prodigy for Stealth expertise. Samurai paired with Elven accuracy is great too.

Ranger with Urchin Background. No need for stealth expertise with Pass Without Trace. Gloomstalker would be my personal preference.

Of course Rogues can be great Archers. They just focus on single powerful attacks rather than loosing lots of arrows.

Wood Elf assassin is on of my favorites.

[MENTION=6802553]BookBarbarian[/MENTION]'s suggestions all sound great to me.

How about any flavor of Rogue with a 3 level dip into Fighter for Arcane Archer? I know it's not a popular subclass, but getting two unique arcane arrow attacks might add some unique flare to your roguish archer.

Have you checked out the Character Build threads? I don't spend any time there so not sure if that will be fruitful for you or not, but might be worth a visit:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?363-Character-Builds-amp-Optimization

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Assuming that you don't want to just be a Rogue:

Start with a Half-Elf. This qualifies you for the Prodigy and Elven Accuracy feats, which make you super-duper-good at skills or shooting respectively.
The other mandatory feat is Sharpshooter. Hand Crossbows is only worth it if you are a Fighter, otherwise you are starving for feats, and have potentially better things to do with your bonus action anyway.
Also, get a background that gives you Thieves Tools and Stealth, so you don't have to worry about the class having them. Arcana, for the odd magical trap, is also a nice grab if you can swing it.

Nextly, pick any (sub)class that is good with ranged weapons, including:
Basically all of the Ranger except for Beastmaster.
Basically all of the Fighter except the Cavalier and PDK.
Kensei Monk.
Hexblade (blade pact+improved pact weapon) Warlock.

Be wary of the Valor Bard. It is great at all the Roguish stuff, but it lags behind the above options at shooting thing for a few levels at a time.
Finally, Trickery Clerics are really good at being tricksters, but are only barely more capable at archery than, say, a Barbarian. Who in turn, is only better than non-melee classes by virtue of having two attacks.

And that's basically all you need to know.

D

dco

Any Fighter or Ranger without beast, Dexterity build (avoid STR), choose proficiencies for Stealth and thieves tools.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Battlemaster Fighter 5 / Assassain Rogue X

Variant human with CE + SS as level 4 feat.
Turn 1 = Advantage (Assassinate) + 5X (Action surge and bonus action CE attack) 1d6+13 crossbow attacks + sneak attack + precision attack on "near" misses = amazing damage.
Turn 2 = 3X 1d6+13 crossbow attacks + sneak attack + precision on near misses

For a mid Level 6+ character than does everything you wanted this is one of the best IMO.

Tyler Dunn

Explorer
Battlemaster Fighter 5 / Assassain Rogue X

Variant human with CE + SS as level 4 feat.
Turn 1 = Advantage (Assassinate) + 5X (Action surge and bonus action CE attack) 1d6+13 crossbow attacks + sneak attack + precision attack on "near" misses = amazing damage.
Turn 2 = 3X 1d6+13 crossbow attacks + sneak attack + precision on near misses

For a mid Level 6+ character than does everything you wanted this is one of the best IMO.

Do I start as Fighter or Rogue?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Do I start as Fighter or Rogue?

It's stronger for combat to start 5 levels of fighter. It's stronger out of combat to start as rogue. Either way I would recommend a 1/1 split by level 2 (as that really brings the character concept together) followed by fighter levels to get you to level 5 followed by more rogue levels.

Remove ads