Do classes built for the 5E D&D *ENGINE* NEED sub-classes?

Do 5E Classes need Sub-Classes?

• Yes, classes NEED sub-classes.

Votes: 57 70.4%
  • It depends. (Please elaborate.)

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • No, it's not mandatory.

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Poll closed .

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am going to start ranting about people who post polls which are not public. What's up with that? You think your poll is only for your personal edification and has no utility to the rest of the community?

In fact...I'm clicking unvote. You don't think I should see what others think? Fine. I don't think you should see what I think then.

the game is designed with subclasses in mind, so yes, 5e needs subclasses.

I am going to start ranting about people who post polls which are not public. What's up with that? You think your poll is only for your personal edification and has no utility to the rest of the community?

In fact...I'm clicking unvote. You don't think I should see what others think? Fine. I don't think you should see what I think then.

It's entirely possible that people would start arguing about the poll itself than the reason for the polls existence.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
the game is designed with subclasses in mind, so yes, 5e needs subclasses.

It's entirely possible that people would start arguing about the poll itself than the reason for the polls existence.

So? Right now the poll portion only has utility for ONE person, despite asking all posters to participate (apparently just for the benefit of that one person). That's rude.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin

So? Right now the poll portion only has utility for ONE person, despite asking all posters to participate (apparently just for the benefit of that one person). That's rude.

Yep. I unvoted myself. Polls shouldn't be hidden after you vote IMO.

But, since in our group most people are very *meh* when it comes to subclasses, often not finding anything that really appeals to them. I think the overflow of subclasses smacks too much of "we don't think you can just play with your imagination, so we'll hand-feed you something you might like".

I know a lot of people like them, and for some classes they are more necessary for a balance point of view. I could do without them if they never started. They could just have easily offered X number of features at level A, Y number at Level B, etc. and it would have been fine.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
If you're making a class and can't think of any subclasses for it, then you should probably be making a subclass.

G

Guest 6801328

Does the otter need the cactus?

If Gore-tex is so great, why didn't we evolve Gore-tex skin?

If a man is alone in the woods without his wife, and he has an opinion, is he still wrong?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
(Sometimes people make poll results private by accident; the poll system here is kinda confusing. "Never attribute to malice," etc.)

In general, I'd say that any concept so narrow that you can't immediately think of several "subclass concepts" for it, is too narrow to be a class.

However, whether you actually deliver the mechanics for the "subclass concept" as an actual subclass or as some other kind of mechanics, depends on the class and your goals for it and the context in which it's presented. For example, both my dragon class and my vampire class had subclasses in their first iterations, but I removed them for the second versions. In the case of dragons, the dragon species fulfills much the same role as a subclass. For vampires, the class is already flexible enough to support several different "subclass concepts."

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Unfortunately DnD is built on subclasses derived from the four basic classes of Fighter-Thief- Wizard-Cleric

but theses never been a consistent vision of Base Class plus sub-features which would be much easier to work with

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases