D&D 5E Double Dash

Xeviat

Hero
Overland travel is different than tactical movement. Characters with bonus dashes don't get to travel faster over long distances.

As far as tactical movement goes, let the characters have cool things they can do.

Sprinting for 2 rounds would be combat time, not overland travel. I don't like that tactical time is treated differently than not tactical time. I feel like the Round < Minute < Hour conversions are easy enough.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I agree, but...

how should I think about this then?

I don't understand the question.

Overland travel not being the same as tactical movement is self evident to me so maybe that is why I don't understand the confusion people are having.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It is a joke, because there was a Mario Kart game called Double Dash.

If you take your movement, use your Action to Dash, and then use your Bonus Action to Dash again, that would be a Double Dash :cool:

Ah, see, because I know those things but tone is hard in text, I figured you were referencing a videogame to indicate that something about dashing multiple times was “videogamey” (unreal and/or abstract to the point of silliness, usually).

Xeviat

Hero
I don't understand the question.

Overland travel not being the same as tactical movement is self evident to me so maybe that is why I don't understand the confusion people are having.

I guess it feels arbitrary for some of us to have a nebulous switch between in combat and out of combat. I mean, we know when combat starts (when initiative rolls), but when does combat end? When does combat turn into a chase if someone flees? I feel like we sort of have rules for this, but it feels weird to me to have certain things change (like the rogue can move 90 feet in 6 seconds in combat, a combat that could last 5-10 rounds, or more, depending on what is going on), but is suddenly dropped down to 60 in a chase (and now has a counter on how many dashes they can use before getting tired).

kombat time.png

doctorbadwolf

Fr anyone wondering, that rogue (assuming 30ft movement) is running at about 10 miles per hour with a triple movement.

The American collegiate women’s record for a 100m sprint calculates to about 20.5 miles per hour.

So, still plenty of room for using ability checks to run faster.

In case my math is wrong: triple movement is ((30x3)x10)x60=54,000 feet per hour. 1 mile is 5280 feet. 54,000mph/5280=10.23 miles per hour.

collegiate record is 100m in 10.75 seconds. 100m/10.75s=9.30 meters per second. 9.3 meters is 30.5 feet, so 30.5 feet per second. That’s 183 feet per 6 seconds, btw.
It’s also (30.5x60)x60=109,800 feet per hour, or 20.79 miles per hour.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Fr anyone wondering, that rogue (assuming 30ft movement) is running at about 10 miles per hour with a triple movement.

The American collegiate women’s record for a 100m sprint calculates to about 20.5 miles per hour.

So, still plenty of room for using ability checks to run faster.

My problem isn't that rogue can go "fast," it's that no one else can.

That said, I haven't done anything about it. It's just gone in the bucket of 'Many of my biggest complaints about 5e are summed up in the Rogue, but they haven't been worth the time to houserule.' It's not a heavy bucket.

Horwath

Legend
Why the straight line and non-difficult terrain?

Hurdling and normal race race tracks don’t exist in your world, or ya got people running 2-3 times faster on the straight-away?

Because I do not want to remove Rogues and Monks ability to have more flexible Bonus action for double Dash, but still give option for all classes to get 3×speed in some situations.

doctorbadwolf

My problem isn't that rogue can go "fast," it's that no one else can.

That said, I haven't done anything about it. It's just gone in the bucket of 'Many of my biggest complaints about 5e are summed up in the Rogue, but they haven't been worth the time to houserule.' It's not a heavy bucket.

Have you considered allowing Athletics checks to go faster as part of taking the Dash action, once per turn? Doing so as an action is implied in the description of Strength ability checks, IIRC, but codifying it a bit might help in this case.

Much like jump distance, the hard numbers represent what is possible without a roll.

But also Expertise needs to be less exclusive. Rogues and Bards get 4 each. Other characters could get 1 in tier 1 and another in tier 3 and it wouldn’t break anything at all.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases