D&D 5E 5e Hardcore: Monster Manual

dave2008

Legend
The new design looks good. Perhaps a bit rough around the edges still, but the concept is sound.

A couple of points you may consider making clearer:

Thank you and I appreciate the comments!

1) maybe it should specify that the dragon only loses the use of the draconic instincts actions, and not the remaining benefits of draconic instincts.
Assuming you are talking about unstoppable. Yes, I added those extra features of Draconic instincts later and forgot how they might interact with unstoppable. Good catch, I will need to clarify that.
2) being adjacent to an ignited area inflicts the same damage as being inside?
Yes, it is kinda strange, I believe that it is the same situation as a "wall of fire" and that as the effect I was going for. I may just remove the adjacent part.
3) for tail slam, I assume 'the dragon's reach' is the 40' reach (for the ancient)?
Yes
4) I really, really enjoyed the bloodied breath feature of 4e, almost ensuring a dragon always got to use it's breath at least twice. Have you considered including it?
I have thought about it. The issue is that it increases the CR, which I want to avoid. The draconic instinct "Fire Breath" essentially does the same thing. I looked at giving the dragon a recharge breath option that cost an action. That might balance it out. I will look at it some more, but the stat block is getting pretty full!

Look forward to seeing you picking up the advanced monster design in the new year - have a happy one :D
Me too!

I see you've gone back to multiplying xp by 1,5 for elites (the eye tyrant's xps are off, btw)? I assume they're still 150% hit points and damage? Didn't you at one point assert that that equals a doubling of xp?

dave2008

Legend
I see you've gone back to multiplying xp by 1,5 for elites (the eye tyrant's xps are off, btw)? I assume they're still 150% hit points and damage? Didn't you at one point assert that that equals a doubling of xp?

Hmm, I didn't intend to change anything. Now I am worried that I've been using the wrong spreadsheet. I will have to check. I should have suspected something when the dragon HP dropped by so much - now I'm really worried! I will take a look this weekend (if I can wait that long).

Yes, that is the basic idea. FYI, for HP I have been giving "elites" 75% of the roll per HD. So a standard xd8 = x*4.5 and an elite xd8 = x*6

dave2008

Legend
After getting the Guild Master's Guide to Ravnica I decided to update a few of the Guildmasters to the Hardcore standard. Niv-Mizzet, Parun (CR 26, elite) is in the Dragons section (under Dragon Hall of Fame), and Isperia, Supreme Judge (CR 21, elite) is under the Monstrosities section. Enjoy!

dave2008

Legend

FYI, I checked and I did grab the wrong spreadsheet. However, the only thing that change was the XP and I'm second guessing the 2x XP anyway. Once I get time to analysis them more I will update my Hardcore encounter guidelines and revise the Monster XP as needed.

I have also corrected the beholder's XP - thank you for keeping an eye out for me!

Remove ads