D&D on the New York Times

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I would rather not. Despite the widening appeal of the game, there are still a huge number of people who will deride it and mock those who play. We may be more accepted by society than the in the 80s, but we're still outcasts.

The New York Times has moderation of 100% of comments. It is not the stereotype of an online mob.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Oh yeah tell me about it! My cult was unable to summon any demons for decades, since the membership got flooded with incompetent kids who were more interested in playing D&D than actually learning demonology.
Really? We summoned about forty demons and over a hundred devils. #notbadforteenagers :angel:

Definitely. One of the strengths of D&D is that it breaks down those sorts of barriers, enabling people to actually connect with other people directly. To be present.

Though, I've known a couple of people that got so caught up in their gaming that they also, shall we say, forgot that whole friendship thing. I stopped gaming with those people.

It's nice to see such positivity about D&D in a major news source. Times have certainly changed.

That is hitting the nail on the head, isn't it?

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
When I was in college, I was the President of my university gaming club. They actually gave us money to expand our library and everything.

I taught DnD (and other games) to people from Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Ukraine, and Japan. I've played with Muslims, Christians, Atheists, Buddhists, Wiccans, and various other religions. I've played with Jocks (my best friend in high school was the captain of the football team and we played ever week), Nerds, Goths, Preps, Stoners, Metalheads, Businessmen, Lawyers, Professors, Teachers, Actors and Actresses, Mechanics, Security Guards, and people in Homeland Security.

D&D (and roleplaying, specifically), is for everyone. The language is universal. I firmly believe the world would be a better place if everyone played. I'm glad the rest of the world is catching on and it's why I despise Gatekeepers with every ounce of my being.

Remove ads