5e Race: Slugmen

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

I am working on a campaign using Yoon-Suin. However as this is not a 5e product I had to come up with my own version of the race, rule wise. How does this look?

SLUG MEN CLASS

ABILITY SCORES: +2 int, +1 wisdom. Slugmen have for generations favored mental acuity above all else, and most received a thorough education

AGE: Slugmen live to either 50 or 150-200 years, depending on if they can "Prove" themselves.

Alignment: Slugmen tend to be lawful, being at the top of a intricate society. They tend to be somewhat indifferent to issues of good and evil.

Size: Slugmen are a bit shorter but stouter than humans (size medium)

Speed: Slugmen walking speed is 25 feet

Vision: Slugmen do *not* have darkvision but can see 360 degrees due to their flexible eye stalks

Slippery: Slugmen's bodies are flexible and covered in a thin layer of mucus. They gain advantage in escaping magical or mundane bonds, the tentacles of a monster etc. This does not protect vs paralysis however. They also have advantage when trying to squeeze through a narrow opening.

Poison resistance: Slugmen consume so many teas, opiums etc that they have advantage on saves vs poisons, and resistance to poison damage.

Magic harmony: A slugman can attune to 4 magical items, not 3. The 4rth must be of lesser power (common, uncommon or rare)

Scholarly: The Slugman is proficient in one of the following skills: Arcana, History, Religion or Investigation

Language: You know both the trade tongue of the Yellow City as well as the Slugmen language

Subrace: none

Lastly I will note that although this race has a strong inclination to use magic, they do not have inate magical powers for in-game reasons :) Thank you for your input!

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Seems good for home use? It could use a little grammatical love but on the whole it doesn't seem overpowered. I might consider giving them a little oomph depending on the rest of the setting (if magic items aren't very common, magic harmony won't come into play early) but this looks like it should roll out just fine.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Seems good for home use? It could use a little grammatical love but on the whole it doesn't seem overpowered. I might consider giving them a little oomph depending on the rest of the setting (if magic items aren't very common, magic harmony won't come into play early) but this looks like it should roll out just fine.

Thank you. This is the only "non standard" race there will be in the campaign. The thing that does concern me is the movement penalty but it makes sense (they are slugmen see...). There are a few things I could add but they aren't very "oomphy", and are based on their physiology - can hold their breath longer (slugs have these huge lungs), and perhaps some bonus to sense of taste due to their sensory feelers.

*maybe* a resistance to bludgeoning damage?

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Resistant to bludgeoning is probably overcompensating -- advantage on scent-based Perception and Survival checks sounds solid.

Jediking

Explorer
I think they seem pretty balanced. The only ability that really sticks out is Magical Harmony. It may be a bit of a dead ability early and a bit powerful after getting items, but as it's your race and your game I doubt it'd be an issue.
[MENTION=6726030]Mike Myler[/MENTION] has a good idea with the scent-based (maybe taste as it fits with the Poison resistance fluff?) Perception/Survival, especially as it works with the +1 Wisdom bump.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I do like the scent idea. However, the thing that bothers me about this is that this is a very "urbane" race - they are rarely rangers/druids etc. So the bonus is not as good as it seems as there isn't a good synergy between the race's culture and classes that would make the most out of the ability. They tend more towards magic users of various ilk.

Remove ads