Another Look at the D&D Essentials Kit

Here's a closer look at the upcoming D&D Essentials Kit.

519DX_EssentialsKit_ProductImgFullv1.png

D&D Essentials Kit (September 3rd; June 24th in the US)
Boxed Set

Everything you need to create characters and play the new adventures in this introduction to the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Dungeons & Dragons is a cooperative storytelling game that harnesses your imagination and invites you to explore a fantastic world of adventure, where heroes battle monsters, find treasures, and overcome quests. The D&D Essentials Kitis a new introductory product meant to bring D&D to audiences interested in jumping into a fantasy story.

This box contains the essentials you need to run a D&D game with one Dungeon Master and one to five adventurers. A newly designed rulebook on-boards players by teaching them how to make characters, and the included adventure, Dragon of Icespire Peak, introduces a new 1-on-1 rules variant.

cmad1977

Hero
This is what I'm most intrigued by. I'm assuming this means running games with DM and one PC. My gaming group can't regularly get together, but my best friend and I hang out on a fairly regular basis, so getting some sort of rules for running smaller games would be great so I can run sessions more often.

I’ve run 1v1 using the standard rules. I’d be interested in what this set has to say.

lyracian

Villager
I wrote a bit more about it here
[EDIT: It was confirmed by Adam Bradford the other day on Twitter.]
With a code to get it online and a discount for the PHB I may pick this up!
I have the physical PHB but an online one for reference would be so much easier (depends what the discount is)

Badvoc

Explorer
With a code to get it online and a discount for the PHB I may pick this up!
I have the physical PHB but an online one for reference would be so much easier (depends what the discount is)
That's an unexpected bonus.

Whether the purchase of the physical products should come with a code to redeem the content on D&D Beyond has been a topic of conversation for a long while. I wonder whether this is a one-off marketing ploy help introduce new players to D&D Beyond, or whether it signals a wider plan to discount the digital content for owners of the books?

I've always thought the D&D Beyond pricing was nuts if you already own the books, but I'd be tempted if I could get discounts for the products I already own.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
This is what I'm most intrigued by. I'm assuming this means running games with DM and one PC. My gaming group can't regularly get together, but my best friend and I hang out on a fairly regular basis, so getting some sort of rules for running smaller games would be great so I can run sessions more often.

I believe that in the announcement they said they were using "sidekick rules" to fill out the party. There was a UA playtest involving sidekick classes a few months ago - the assumption I've seen is that the 1-to-1 variant will use some version of those.

Mercador

Adventurer
I believe that in the announcement they said they were using "sidekick rules" to fill out the party. There was a UA playtest involving sidekick classes a few months ago - the assumption I've seen is that the 1-to-1 variant will use some version of those.
I guess it's a bit like followers in Diablo 3?

If I was an editor, I would create 1-to-1 adventures, it's not easy to get 1 DM and 4 players these days. I'm pretty sure there's a market for that.

ced1106

Explorer
AD&D had some "one on one" modules decades ago, then decided to not make money. While I recall D&D and AD&D being designed for group play, much fantasy fiction was nonetheless centered around a main character. Glad D&D has finally caught up. Now, if only Gloomhaven wasn't the only campaign dungeoncrawler which was designed for gamers with busy lives...!

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Guessing it was a deal to get Target to carry it.

This makes sense to me. I have been watching the Hasbro game shelves at my local Target for years waiting for first the D&D4 and then the D&D5 starter sets to show up, and they never have. Not super happy about the circumstances, but more exposure is good. Folks who shop at FLGSes are likely to wait anyway.

I feel that rolling in the open has made me a much better DM, since it has helped me own my mistakes and plan (and design) better.

Fudging die rolls doesn't protect you from having to own your mistakes or design well. If anything, it makes you more accountable for your decisions. Players don't have to trust a dungeon master who doesn't fudge. Maintaining player trust while fudging is dungeon mastery hard mode.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases