[MHR] Marvel RPG Discontinued, PDF sales ending next week

Gaming Tonic

First Post
The game won three Ennie Awards last year and despite the fact that it doesn't have "real" character generation rules (even though it has the exact same three methods of creating/choosing characters as FASERIP does) and was focused on blockbuster events, we had overwhelmingly good critical feedback.(QUOTE]

I think you won three Ennies because you created a really good game. Civil War with the additional books is the biggest storyline event I can think of for any genre of game. It is also the best. I don't think there were a lack of character generation rules, especially for hardcore comic fans or fans of the game genre. For the munchkin player there was nothing to latch onto and gain a massive upperhand without completely exposing your true intentions. I am saying that about players in my own group as well. I have an eight man role-playing group and two of the seven possible players turned in completed characters for the system for the game I pitched. They are both hard core comic book fans. When I suggest a Hero System game I get flooded with complicated characters that play slow and clunky after working out every possible advantage that the players can. At least from most of my group.

For everybody thinking about picking up the game before it disappears do, but let me give you some advice. Assign dice that fit character generation for the game you want to run. Do not have your players role randomly this led to some long faces and one Madcap player. Thanks for the response Cam, you have been available throughout the complete run of the game and it is appreciated by the fans and community. I am glad to see MWP gets to keep the system. I for one am a huge fan, and I am sad that I will not get to see any future story lines. I still believe it might have said something to do with the lack of Alpha Flight material, and I am not even Canadian.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Honestly, I prefer the pre-gens. I figure I'm playing a Marvel game to be a Marvel character.

Sometimes, maybe. But sometimes maybe you want to be a new prospect for the Avengers or Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters instead.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Yeah, as a GM I loved it. Really simple to make characters, and generally made sense for comic books. Not a simulation of the characters, but of the genre. Very true.

I found the char gen rules were fine. Some of the more complicated powers (iron man's multi-missles, hulk's emotional damage = strength) I struggled to keep track of, but otherwise it was fine.

I've chimed in before: the event structure wasn't my cup of tea. I get the feeling it was a mandate from Marvel, but the Civil War ticket was so old by then.

I still believe it might have said something to do with the lack of Alpha Flight material, and I am not even Canadian.

Yeah I'm Canadian but I can't seem to get into the series. It's Canadian heroes as told by either Americans or by Canadians trying to sell the CBC version of Canada. "look, it's a native guy who's magical and wears buckskins". Meh. Then replaced by Omega Flight, not bad, but led by USAgent?! Ouch.

Gaming Tonic

First Post
Yeah, as a GM I loved it. Really simple to make characters, and generally made sense for comic books. Not a simulation of the characters, but of the genre. Very true.

I found the char gen rules were fine. Some of the more complicated powers (iron man's multi-missles, hulk's emotional damage = strength) I struggled to keep track of, but otherwise it was fine.

I've chimed in before: the event structure wasn't my cup of tea. I get the feeling it was a mandate from Marvel, but the Civil War ticket was so old by then.

Yeah I'm Canadian but I can't seem to get into the series. It's Canadian heroes as told by either Americans or by Canadians trying to sell the CBC version of Canada. "look, it's a native guy who's magical and wears buckskins". Meh. Then replaced by Omega Flight, not bad, but led by USAgent?! Ouch.

For the Watcher it was a blessing to put a good adventure together. If you could visually picture the character you could quickly and easily build the character. Then again the DM/GM/Watcher in a rpg isn't supposed to want to get over. As a player your goal is survival of your character and therefore it is the goal of some players to take full advantage of the system and the beauty of a simple system is that there is less to take advantage of. This makes players on equal footing in dealing with the system as much is left up to the Watcher to describe and arbitrate. That is a turn off for some players.

The Alpha Flight things was in jest but I do own all the comics for some reason. The original team was a bit stereotyped.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Watcher: yeah, but this isn't a dungeon crawl: survival is probable, really, as it's more geared towards telling a good story. Maybe a few bad rolls, or if the dice are weighted against the heroes intentionally. In general, if you make a Thor, I can just make a Surtur. And there isn't a set power level for "monsters", so how do you really judge whether your munchkin-mastery is effective? Maybe, if you're using pre-gens, you have a good idea of how you're doing compared to other supers.

It's a different beast from D&D is what I'm getting at.

Alpha Flight: hah! Honestly, I've never given them a fair chance, or had the books, so they could well be amazing. I had issue 99 once, and it was about as good at the Avengers back then (so for a 4th grader, pretty good), and if they got up that high in number someone must have liked them.

Gaming Tonic

First Post
Watcher: yeah, but this isn't a dungeon crawl: survival is probable, really, as it's more geared towards telling a good story. Maybe a few bad rolls, or if the dice are weighted against the heroes intentionally. In general, if you make a Thor, I can just make a Surtur. And there isn't a set power level for "monsters", so how do you really judge whether your munchkin-mastery is effective? Maybe, if you're using pre-gens, you have a good idea of how you're doing compared to other supers.

It's a different beast from D&D is what I'm getting at.

That is exactly the reason I am saying the system might not have had appeal to some players, a few in my own group for sure. It has appeal to the Watcher because you can tell a good story and to storyteller players for the same reason. The number cruncher type gamer couldn't get a leg up like he could in some systems. My players who enjoy the genre and storytelling are the two of the seven who turned in characters. My few who were periphery comic book fans and a bit more munchkin failed to do so. That is exactly how it differs from D&D! Well put.

Pre-gens never appeal to my players because they believe they are smarter than most people. It is there flaw and I capitalize on it all the time. Now I sound like the Angry DM. Although come to think of it, Alpha Flight is a lot like D&D, a wizard (Shaman) can pull anything he wants from his magic hat/pouch. Sasquatch, he is a shifter for sure. Puck is a halfling, Snowbird a druid, Northstar and Aurora are elves, I'll get back to you on their classes. I can't believe I just spent brain power on that.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The number cruncher type gamer couldn't get a leg up like he could in some systems.

Well, what would such a gamer *expect* coming into a superheroes game? What's the #1 big thing about bog-standard superhero comics? DEATH IS RARE. Permanent death even more rare. The point of supers stories isn't to ask the question, "Will the hero win?" Instead, the question is, "How will the hero win, and at what cost?"

Number crunching so that your hero wins quickly and easily kind of misses the point, then, because the answer is, "Quickly and easily, and at little cost." Supers is a genre where the aim of building a hero for outright effectiveness is apt to be less rewarding than building a hero for dynamically interesting action.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Not only is death rare, but for some, its impossible or a minor inconvenience.

yeah, I still can't believe they nuked Wolverine down to his bones during Civil War, and his flesh just grew right back. That's it for the entire character.

I suppose they can still lose and end up in deathtraps they must then escape. Or the people they need to save can be killed off, HQ and other resources destroyed, and otherwise end up like the X-men in Days of Future Past...

anyone up for running a game?

Remove ads