D&D 5E Was I in the wrong?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The fact that the item is unusual and valuable - namely, adamantine plate armour - also speaks against the idea that the smith gave it only a cursory once-over without removing it from a bag, unbundling it, etc.

The opposite, actually. Admanatine is so rare and valuable that a blacksmith would purchase it and know how much a suit is worth without needing to examine it. The metal alone makes it worthwhile to buy and is far and away the bulk of the value. Even if damaged, it can be reshaped into many other items and sold for a great deal of money.

Aura

Explorer
To me an ordinary blacksmith is someone who makes everyday items such as horseshoes, nails, tools, etc. items that sell for maybe 15?gp. An armorer is a blacksmith that specializes in making armor ( your scoffed at expert), items that sell for 1500gp+

I was actually giving the leeway that the blacksmith is actually specialized in armor, an armorer, whatever. (More murky language, IMO, but whatever.) If that is all you are trying to assert, that he is an armorer, I agree. That is apparently his skill set, and we're not talking about someone who slaps horseshoes onto equines for a living.

The feeling I was getting is people assume he was more than the average armorer. So, I was asking if there is any indication he is significantly more skilled than the norm for those in his trade. Although greater skill would be helpful in getting greater wealth, your statement correlates them directly, as if no other variables were true. Without loading the issue with language I didn't use, like 'scoffed at' and such, can you answer my questions with more than simple assertions? Can you support your one variable, skill derives wealth, statement? Are there no other ways wealth can be acquired? You've recently stated how he's shady, would that be part of how he generates wealth?

(Note: This response applies to Maxperson on the issue of clarifying what we are talking about with his skill set.)

Aura

Explorer
Adding a step is meaningless if the step is exceedingly simple. The simplest explanation for gun shootings is that the gun was already in the hand of the shooter. It generally isn't the explanation that is correct, though. Shooters usually pull the gun out of a pocket, belt or other location first. It's an added step that doesn't really add to the complexity.

The steps being described here are not sufficiently complex to warrant a claim of Occam's Razor.

The step I'm referring to is the blacksmith abruptly stopping unbundling the armor because he found new information and he wishes to deceive. It's not something that reasonably would be true from other information to that point, it's a shift in what he's doing.

It's the overall picture I'm looking at in terms of occam's razor, and this is just another step. It's just getting unbelievable for this to have all supposedly happened and yet the DM doesn't remember it. Is there a simpler explanation that fits with the narrative and is sufficiently trivial it doesn't bear mention?

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
(Note: Ilbranteloth had a similar objection.)

This is more storytelling not indicated by the OP's description. This scenario basically re-writes the scene. The more effort you infer the DM went through to justify not giving the ranger a simple perception roll, the more implausible it is that he cannot remember a whit of it when writing in his own defense.

Also, this doesn't match what we do know. The blacksmith studies the armor, and comes up with an offer. The ranger doesn't like it, then makes his appraisal. THEN the blacksmith notices the ring. They are quite far into the scene at this point.

Question: Do either of you really believe this scenario happened? Follow on for Yardiff, which of these now four scenarios you've spoken in favor of do you believe really happened?

To begin with, do you really think that the sentences in the quote below are all that happened at the table, verbatim, and no other things were said?

At the blacksmith (a half-orc they already know from before) he presents the bundled up armor. The blacksmith studies it, making note that the armor is very damaged (from the battles) and it would lower the price. At the mention of the price being lowered, the ranger asks if he can make a int check to learn how much such an armor would go for, he rolls well. The half-orc notices the magical ring and immediately asks "Are you looking to sell the whole thing?" to which the ranger immediately says yes. The blacksmith offers a price, the ranger isn't too sure since it was lower than expected. The blacksmith argues that with the damage would lower the price and he still needed to make a profit. The ranger still seems to have a hard time agreeing. The blacksmith quickly adds that it's money up-front. The ranger agrees.

So if we're going with this as the verbatim account, here's what I see:

While there is some debate as to whether the ranger saw the ring/gauntlets and knew they were important, I maintain that was not the case. The rest of the party was doing something, and "meanwhile" the barbarian was examining, and then bundling up the armor. Even if the ranger did see it, he obviously didn't put any importance on it which is supported by later statements.

Regardless, if I was the DM, and the party examined it, bundled it, never mentioned it again, nor attempted to identify, examine or state they had later separated the gauntlets and ring from the bundle, it is still bundled.

--

So, the ranger apparently doesn't think he is dealing with anything more than an adamantine suit of armor. If he does think it is, it's up to him to mention it. At our table, anybody else could have reminded him (or me). It appears that's the case at his table, but nobody did. The fact that he sold another suit of armor that they specifically told him not to is a pretty good indication that the players have some communication/attention issues to address.

It's still all bundled together by rope, some of it's readily visible, some is not. The armor is visibly damaged (very). - Established before the interaction

He places the armor on the counter and says, "How much can I get for this?" No description in OP, I haven't added any

The blacksmith studies it, turning over the bundle several times. He's seen plate armor before, and his initial look confirms that it is very damaged. Since it's going to take time to unbundle it, he notes that the damage will lower the price. No point in opening it all up if the ranger isn't going to accept a reasonable price. He doesn't give a value yet, just says, "hey, this looks pretty beat up so I can't give you top gold." OP says he studied it. I don't even think he would have needed to pick it up (see below), but it certainly doesn't say he unties the bundle and lays the pieces out on the counter. So I haven't added it. Note that he does NOT come up with an offer. He just says that whatever offer he gives will be lower than full price because it's damaged.

Upon hearing this, the ranger asks (outside of the game), "do I have any idea of how much such an armor would sell for?" He rolls, the DM says yes, you have a good idea. No indication that he appraises the armor, just asks if he knows how much it would sell for. I might have asked if he was going to take the armor back, examine and appraise it, or if he just wanted a general idea. He didn't so I didn't change anything.

Since this implies the ranger then told the smith, "Yes, I know the price will be lower, but take a look and let me know how much anyway," the smith starts to examine more closely and unbundle the armor, notices the ring and stops, attempting to keep it out of the ranger's view. (There could have been a sleight of hand check here). Although he doesn't indicate that the smith unbundles the armor, or even examines it, he does say that he notices the ring immediately. My assumption, since there is no description of how we got from "do I know what a suit of armor is worth" to "the smith immediately notices the ring" I assume that he starts to examine/unbundle it and can now see what he couldn't see before. Otherwise he would have asked the question earlier. Since the DM doesn't mention the ring to the ranger, I would also assume that it is not within his field of vision at the time. This is very plausible to me (see below and earlier posts). I would have at least had a sleight of hand or deception check against a passive perception here. He didn't, I don't think I'm adding anything other than the least amount of action to connect the two points.

"Are you looking to sell the whole thing?"
"Yes."

This following conversation is implied, we don't know the exact conversation as the DM didn't report it (A deception check could have been made here). I'm not adding anything that wasn't described.:
"700 gp"
"That seems low"
"It's pretty damaged, I'll need to put in a lot of work before I can sell it."
"I don't know, can you go any higher?"
"No, but it's money up front. I'll pay you right now."
"Well, OK"

--

None of what I'm describing alters the fiction, or is illogical or implausible with the 9 sentence description given. Basically, my interpretation adds less to the fiction than the smith unbundles all of the armor, and lays them out neatly on the table. When working in retail, and we were knowledgeable about our merchandise, we would move things around enough to make sure that everything was there. That's it. We would avoid unpackaging things as much as possible, just more work. When purchasing a used item, it would vary, depending on the item. Like I noted about the stack of Magic cards, unless the seller was indicating there was something of value, I'd just do a quick check to make sure they were actually Magic cards, a general sense of the condition, and quantity. If it was a damaged suit of armor, that I would have to repair, I'd look for key things - the decoration (takes more work), are all the parts there? (just need to see a part of each piece, no need to see them completely), and the material. He's not trying to sell anything that requires a true "appraisal."

Why? Well, first, since it's damaged it will need to be repaired. So the actual value of the armor is of less value. Another example is used guitars. My buddy builds and repairs guitars. Occasionally I'll spot something that might interest him. It's good to know if the original parts are there. Otherwise it's mostly a question of the year (we're usually only talking about Gibson Les Pauls). So a 10-second glance is usually all I need to identify if it's something he's interested in. He's typically not interested in paying any more than 50% of what he can sell it for. So we start at that price. If the seller isn't interested, no point in spending any more time discussing it. That's also a negotiation tactic. We set our price, and if they say no, we say, "Great then, good luck." A lot of times the guy will sort of stand around, thing about it, then come back up and say, "well, OK, I think I can do that" and we buy it. Other times they'll say, "no it's worth more than that, here's why."

That's when it's worth spending a little more time. If the ranger says "Well, OK, but this suit was worn by so-and-so, and it's made with Sanherian Adamantine, and has a ring attached to the gauntlets, so I think this particular suit is worth more." Then it warrants a closer examination. Otherwise the smith probably doesn't have to spend much effort on it at all.

I once tried to get a loan with my guitar. It's a Gibson Les Paul, all original hardware, original silverburst finish. The finish has worn off the neck from playing, and I've seen numerous examples from a couple of years where this was a fairly common problem. He asked if it was the original finish. I said yes. In this case I knew more about the guitar and the issues with the finish then he did, but no matter what I told him, he was convinced it was refinished and only offered a price based on that. I also deal with model trains, and run into the same thing very, very frequently. People bring something that's 50 years old and think it's worth a bunch. Right off the bat I tell them it's probably worthless. Today's modelers expect more accurate models, with much better fidelity. Unless it's in perfect condition, and you can find a collector looking for that particular piece, it will sell for a couple of bucks.

So no, I don't think the smith would have taken all of the pieces out, unless the ranger objected with some reason that would require him to look at all the pieces individually.

Do I think everybody else would feel this way? Probably not. I have my own unique experiences on which to base my opinion. They are also the same ones that help me build the world my players play in. Am I more descriptive? Well more than the OP. I don't know how descriptive the DM was in the actual game, I wasn't there.

Later posts indicate that at least half of the party had no problem with it, the ranger was upset for making a mistake, but apparently doesn't seem to fault the DM or how he handled it, and the final player either doesn't like it or wasn't around for further comment. This also supports my general perspective on the events in that the players at that table aren't objecting that he didn't remind him, didn't give him enough information, or didn't make enough skill checks.

Can I parse it a different way and come to a different conclusion? Of course. This just happens to be the first conclusion I came to, in seconds, without even thinking about it. It's the one that makes the most sense to me, without any further thought about it. The responses on where I've elaborated are simply to explain the many things that pop into my head that support that conclusion. Many of those thoughts occur simply because of past life experiences. None of which are unique to me, although the particular mix of experiences is. Another experience thrown into the mix is 35+ years of DMing. That doesn't make me better, or right, it just means there are a lot of past experiences buried in my subconscious that mysteriously coalesce to form an opinion when reading a post like this.

As we've continued the discussion, not only does it still make the most sense to me, but I don't feel like my reasoning has been illogical, unreasonable, or strained. The cool thing is, there are times on this board and others where my reasoning has fallen apart and I've changed my mind. Maybe it doesn't happen all that often, but it does happen. Regardless of however much experience I have, I can always learn new things.

Ilbranteloth

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The step I'm referring to is the blacksmith abruptly stopping unbundling the armor because he found new information and he wishes to deceive. It's not something that reasonably would be true from other information to that point, it's a shift in what he's doing.

It's the overall picture I'm looking at in terms of occam's razor, and this is just another step. It's just getting unbelievable for this to have all supposedly happened and yet the DM doesn't remember it. Is there a simpler explanation that fits with the narrative and is sufficiently trivial it doesn't bear mention?

You are assuming some abrupt unusual stop instead of a smooth reasonable stop by someone who has seen enough. Any unbelievability is being created by you.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
One side assumes that if a detail was important it would be mentioned and thus lack of mention is evidence that such a detail did not occur

The other side assumes that important details were left out of the account at every turn. However they only seem to pick possible details that are at odds with what the other side figures happened based on the absence of such details in the account.

Further I must question why any position had been taken by such a side other than it cannot be known if the dm was right or wrong since the assumption is that we have an incomplete account. How does such a side ever state that they don't believe the dm was wrong. That's a claim that is inconsistent with speculating about what important details could have been left out.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
@Morrus;So do you all believe we have enough information to make an informed decision about whether the dm was right or wrong or do you believe we have such an incomplete account that no determination should even be attempted?

i ask because it seems there is a constant shift based on convenience between whether there is lack of info or whether the dm wasn't wrong.

Last edited:

psychophipps

Explorer
One side assumes that if a detail was important it would be mentioned and thus lack of mention is evidence that such a detail did not occur

The other side assumes that important details were left out of the account at every turn. However they only seem to pick possible details that are at odds with what the other side figures happened based on the absence of such details in the account.

Further I must question why any position had been taken by such a side other than it cannot be known if the dm was right or wrong since the assumption is that we have an incomplete account. How does such a side ever state that they don't believe the dm was wrong. That's a claim that is inconsistent with speculating about what important details could have been left out.

I would counter this by simply pointing out that the responses by the players was the most telling. Anything that causes feelings similar to those apparent to the OP between the players, or the players and DM/GM, are something to be thought hard about. The game is there to be fun with your friends, not to be a cause of strife and hard-feelings towards each other.

That said, I've made similar mistakes in the past. It has universally turned out to be far more negative than positive and leads to stupid defense mechanism-type gaming habits that not only tear the players from the narrative, but makes the telling of a great story a distant second to making sure "they don't screwed again" if such bad decisions continue to happen.

You can beat the situation to death with arguing details, but at the end of the day you hurt your game if you run it this way. For those that do, stop doing it for a few months. You will find that your game is far better for it, both narratively and in the overall stress of running the game.

Remove ads