D&D 5E Is it houseruling to let a torch set fire to things?

Is it houseruling to allow a burning torch to set fire to another torch?

• Yes

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • No

Votes: 162 96.4%

pemerton

Legend
Why is this a question?
How is this a thread? Can one fire cause another? Please tell me no one is actually serious about this question.
If there's any question about whether this constitutes a house rule, that person should not be refereeing the game.
Who picked yes?
I started the thread because - as [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] has already posted - in another thread there were some posters saying that it is a house rule to allow that fire damage (from torches, or spells, or burning oil, or whatever) might set combustible material alight.

To me that seemed less like a house rule and more like an application of the existing rules.

Some people simply have way to much time on their hands.
The poll is missing an option:

(3) Does it matter?
I was curious what others might think. (Also, aren't these posts potentially a bit self-referential? I mean, who's the bigger time-waster - the person who makes a silly post, or the person who replies to point out that it's silly?)

I think the consensus in this thread is interesting (but, of course, correct).

<snip>

What was it, 2...3 years ago when we had the "can fire effects in 4e set things afire?" There was not a consensus here.
I do remember those conversations.

The most prominent proponent of the view that fire damage/effects can't set combustible materials alight was [MENTION=2067]I'm A Banana[/MENTION]. I don't know if he still takes that view.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The most prominent proponent of the view that fire damage/effects can't set combustible materials alight was [MENTION=2067]I'm A Banana[/MENTION]. I don't know if he still takes that view.
Starting with this, because I'm an egoist. ;)

That's not a great understanding of my view. More precisely, I had 4e play experience where fire damage did not set combustible materials alight. The DM's ruling was supported was supported with 4e power-card terminology that specified that the power in question targeted creatures, and thus didn't affect things that weren't creatures (similar to the Chris Perkins drow darkfire logic), if I'm remembering correctly - the power described the rules effect, and there was nothing about setting things on fire in the power, thus there could be no setting things on fire as the result of the power. My issue at the time was less about the ruling (okay, powers have effects as described and nothing beyond them, and you don't want me to burn down a forest, both are pretty reasonable) and more about the design of a system that, in striving for clarity, actually created fictional nonsense like "this fire only burns people" unless the DM wanted to go beyond the system's design. The DM's ruling felt consistent with the broad 4e design philosophy of "powers are for combat" (not that this was a monolithic philosophy, merely a tendency I observed in the e).

I'm sure puhlenty of DMs were house ruling on the fly to go beyond 4e's design, like, all the time, but it was at the time (and largely remains, IMO) one of my many gripes about my second favorite D&D system to date - overly precise rules effects that had the effect of severely curtailing the creative (especially out-of-combat) possibilities of the abilities of a 4e PC outside of a DM's own individual creativity. One of the not-insignificant times that 4e exhibited its occasional "good in the white room, iffy in actual play" design.

I started the thread because - as [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] has already posted - in another thread there were some posters saying that it is a house rule to allow that fire damage (from torches, or spells, or burning oil, or whatever) might set combustible material alight.

To me that seemed less like a house rule and more like an application of the existing rules.

I think in 5e, the philosophy has clearly shifted.

If you looks at the famous guidelines for Page 42 from the 4e DMG, you see that a 7th level rogue pushing an ogre into a burning brazier might deal 2d8+5 damage with a Strength attack vs. Fortitude, because that's appropriate damage for a character of that level (you're not "giving too much away").

Meanwhile, in 5e, the rules for improvising damage suggest that stumbling into a fire pit deals 2d10 damage, and the rules for shoving a creature suggest it takes the place of one of your attacks and is done with an Athletics check vs. an Athletics or Acrobatics check, because that's just a way in which these fictional things can be modeled.

These situations look very similar, and in practice, with a confident DM, they probably flow about the same -- good DM's don't let system assumptions get in the way. But the 4e example is concerned with the metagame outcomes - What's the intent? What's the level? How effective do I want this to be? Meanwhile, the 5e version is interested in the shared fiction - what is this thing? how bad would being pushed into one be?

By way of an awkward analogy, 5e treats the burning brazier primarily as a toy. Push something into it and see what happens. Play with it. Discover what it does. Its effects are intrinsic to it. 4e treats the burning brazier as a means to an end. It's there to deal damage, the relevant questions are how and how much. It's effects are extrinsic to it - they depend on what you're trying to do with it in the metagame, what effects you want it to have.

In 4e, I'd probably avoid having a party that even used torches (everywhere is basically well lit and there are sunrods and the light spell), because the metagame purpose a torch serves is largely to be able to see an enemy that, for the sake of an enjoyable combat encounter, I want the party to see anyway (unless I don't in which case torches won't help you). Hand-juggling was already a concern anyway. If I had someone who used torches for some reason, I wouldn't let them catch stuff on fire in general, doing something handwavey and indicating to the player that their "burn stuff" play agenda wasn't really something I was interested in pursuing, though I might set some terrain element that can be triggered with fire damage in a future encounter ("you can burn stuff in this controlled way"). I would probably allow them to set other torches on fire - doesn't affect the metagame consideration at all.

In 5e, its the DM's say whether something automatically succeeds, requires a roll, or automatically fails, and in most circumstances, I think I'd have a torch setting something on fire automatically succeed. I'd improvise maybe 1d10 for damage ("hot coals", sure) in combat. If they wanted to burn down a village or a forest...maybe require a roll (Survival to set it in the right place, maybe a group roll, probably of middling difficulty). THAT would certainly change the narrative!

My change in approach largely comes from working with or against the agenda of the system. 4e asks me what about the metagame, so I think about story agendas and narrative control and I'm like "naaaah." 5e asks me what would happen, so I think about what the spread rate might be and what I might roll to ad hoc the actions of hundreds of people and I'm like "Hmm...." For me, the distinction is that 4e serves the narrative agenda I give it. 5e suggests that the important story is the story my friends an I tell ourselves about that one time we burned down the village where the villain lived. It's a lousy crafted narrative, but it's a more compelling story because it's a fun wackiness I shared with my friends. I have ownership over that experience, authorship over it, and I was perhaps surprised and delighted by the outcome. I might buzzword it by saying one is more an engine for telling narratives, the other is more an engine for creating experiences.

Of course, because I'm a big nerd, this probably inflates the difference, but the difference feels significant to me.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I would go so far to say that would be running ANY RPG.
Indeed....

That's not a great understanding of my view. More precisely, I had 4e play experience where fire damage did not set combustible materials alight. The DM's ruling was supported was supported with 4e power-card terminology that specified that the power in question targeted creatures, and thus didn't affect things that weren't creatures. My issue at the time was less about the ruling and more about the design of a system that, in striving for clarity, actually created fictional nonsense like "this fire only burns people" unless the DM wanted to go beyond the system's design.
The 4e rules specifically allowed powers that target creatures to target unattended objects, if the DM desired. So no such fictional nonsense was created.

I've noticed that you do like to take these deep-dives into the rules implications, you did it a while back with the Dispel Magic definition of magic, concluding that Lay on Hands wasn't necessarily magical, while any use of Ki was, IIRC.

That's fun and all, but in the above case, as in the current thread, any conclusion of such a dive is surely going of the deep end (pi).

The DM's ruling felt consistent with the broad 4e design philosophy of "powers are for combat" (not that this was a monolithic philosophy, merely a tendency I observed
Attack powers, perhaps. There were clearly utility powers that were meant for out of combat use, as well. Of course, you might want to set something on fire in combat, so that's hardly an impediment. And, the DM's ruling was consistent enough with the rules - which called for him to rule one way or the other - and, perhaps more importantly, to define the environment. It was up to the DM to decide what's in the area, and, if there were flammables, what would have touched them off.

I'm sure puhlenty of DMs were house ruling on the fly to go beyond 4e's design
There were. There are in every game, it just comes with the RPG territory. But, the above was not a case of changing the rules, merely making a ruling where called for. There may have been less call for rulings, in general, but it could happen.

In any case, the idea that a DM would 'need to house-rule' to let a torch start a fire was as absurd then as it is now. The agendas were just different back then. 5e has succeeded in giving us a less divisive community, less committed to finding fault where none exists. That's a good thing.
We could maybe stand to go a bit further in that direction, though. ;)

pemerton

Legend
My issue at the time was less about the ruling (okay, powers have effects as described and nothing beyond them, and you don't want me to burn down a forest, both are pretty reasonable) and more about the design of a system that, in striving for clarity, actually created fictional nonsense like "this fire only burns people" unless the DM wanted to go beyond the system's design. The DM's ruling felt consistent with the broad 4e design philosophy of "powers are for combat" (not that this was a monolithic philosophy, merely a tendency I observed in the e).

<snip>

If you looks at the famous guidelines for Page 42 from the 4e DMG, you see that a 7th level rogue pushing an ogre into a burning brazier might deal 2d8+5 damage with a Strength attack vs. Fortitude, because that's appropriate damage for a character of that level (you're not "giving too much away").

Meanwhile, in 5e, the rules for improvising damage suggest that stumbling into a fire pit deals 2d10 damage, and the rules for shoving a creature suggest it takes the place of one of your attacks and is done with an Athletics check vs. an Athletics or Acrobatics check, because that's just a way in which these fictional things can be modeled.

<snip>

In 4e, I'd probably avoid having a party that even used torches (everywhere is basically well lit and there are sunrods and the light spell), because the metagame purpose a torch serves is largely to be able to see an enemy that, for the sake of an enjoyable combat encounter, I want the party to see anyway (unless I don't in which case torches won't help you).

<snip>

4e asks me what about the metagame, so I think about story agendas and narrative control and I'm like "naaaah." 5e asks me what would happen, so I think about what the spread rate might be and what I might roll to ad hoc the actions of hundreds of people and I'm like "Hmm...." For me, the distinction is that 4e serves the narrative agenda I give it. 5e suggests that the important story is the story my friends an I tell ourselves about that one time we burned down the village where the villain lived.
I find most of this a bit odd.

For instance, I don't really see the connection between guidelines for DCs and damage relative to level - which is what p 42 gives - and the question of whether or not a torch can set fire to combustible items. The 4e guidelines tells me that at Epic Tier, fires and explosions and the like will be more dramatic and destructive than at Heroic Tier - in 5e, bounded accuracy changes that. But I don't see anything that bears on the question of whether or not torches can set combustible materials alight.

I also don't see any clear connection between "story agendas" and "narrative control" and the question of whether or not players can declare actions like "I use my torch to set fire to the tapestry" or "I cast a fireball to set fire to the timber stables that are full of dry straw". The two things seem pretty orthogonal to me.

Hence, whatever the salient changes between 4e and 5e in relation to "metagame", "bounded accuracy", "story agendas" or "narrative control", I'm not really seeing how it bears on this particular issue.

In Moldvay Basic there is no express discussion of setting things alight: the description for the fireball spell, for instance, simply refers to a fiery explosion and then notes the damage suffered by creatures in the radius. Nevertheless, in that game we always took it for granted that a fireball might ignite combustible materials. I would never think of that as a house rule, because there was no presumption to the contrary that a fireball couldn't ignite paper, dry timber etc.

In 4e, by way of contrast with B/X, the rules make it pretty clear that fire damage might ignite combustible material:

* Fire: Explosive bursts, fiery rays, or simple ignition. (PHB, p 55)

* Like characters, objects have hit points and defense scores . . . Usually, it doesn’t matter what kind of attack you make against an object: Damage is damage. However, there are a few exceptions. . . . you might rule that some kinds of damage are particularly effective against certain objects and grant the object vulnerability to that damage type. For example, a gauzy curtain or a pile of dry papers might have vulnerability 5 to fire because any spark is likely to destroy it. (DMG, pp 65-6)

* Noncombat encounters focus on skills, utility powers, and your own wits (not your character’s), although sometimes attack powers can come in handy as well. . . . Powers you use might give you bonuses on your checks, make some checks unnecessary, or otherwise help you. (PHB, p 259)​

So even moreso, it would never occur to me that I was house ruling when I required the player of a wizard, who was casting Fire Shroud (an enemies-only 15' R fire attack) to attack an undead spider swarm, to make Arcana checks to avoid setting alight the books and scrolls over which the swarm was crawling.

I think that 5e is closer in its rules text to 4e than to Moldvay Basic (I cited some of the text in the OP), and so I would find it equally odd to describe these sorts of situations as house ruling. (As opposed to adjudications in the course of action resolution, arrived at by reading and applying the game rules.)

Take Burning Hands as an example:

As you hold your hands with thumbs touching and fingers spread, a thin sheet of flames shoots forth from your outstretched fingertips. Each creature in a 15-foot cone must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 3d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

The fire ignites any flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried.​

Like Moldvay Basic and 4e's fireball spell descriptions, the description here only refers to damage to creatures. There is also the stipulation about objects that are neither worn nor carried. Does this mean that if an enemy wizard is holding a scroll, and my PC blasts him/her with Burning Hands, then that scroll is immune from being damaged or destroyed unless my GM makes a house rule? Is the non-house ruled default that, even if the mage lies dead and charred, the scroll is pristine and untouched?

To me that seems like it would be a weird view to hold, made even weirder by the text on p 87 of the SRD (which is pretty similar to the stuff on pp 65-66 of the 4e DMG):

Characters can also damage objects with their weapons and spells. Objects . . . can be affected by physical and magical attacks much like creatures can. The GM . . . might decide that certain objects have resistance or immunity to certain kinds of attacks.​

It seems to me that deciding what happens to the scroll (does the player make an INT check to see if his/her PC can successfully ignite the scroll? does the GM roll hit points for the scroll?) is an issue of adjudication, but not of house ruling.

Remove ads