New Dragon+ (issue 12): The Inspiration Issue

The tomb preview is great. It has a sidebar about possible places to put it, including the 6 original ones Gygax suggested in Greyhawk. Hopefully those who disliked the other 4 books being set in FR can appreciate their attention to explicitly stating it can be anywhere the DM sets his campaign, and giving the history about where it originally appeared.

The tomb preview is great. It has a sidebar about possible places to put it, including the 6 original ones Gygax suggested in Greyhawk. Hopefully those who disliked the other 4 books being set in FR can appreciate their attention to explicitly stating it can be anywhere the DM sets his campaign, and giving the history about where it originally appeared.

JeffB

Legend
Having two different articles about the cat person on the cover (three, actually, if you're counting the editor's letter) is a little strange.

probably a favor being called in.

i personally felt the whole Cat thing is a waste of space. But it's also clear Dragon+ is nothing like it's predecessors. Amateurs are doing a much better job with blogs and fanzines out there these days when it comes to gaming content.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

i personally felt the whole Cat thing is a waste of space. But it's also clear Dragon+ is nothing like it's predecessors. Amateurs are doing a much better job with blogs and fanzines out there these days when it comes to gaming content.
Isn't that pretty much what the old Dragon was, anyways? That's one of, if not the main, reasons you don't see many magazines anymore.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

mflayermonk

First Post
Isn't that pretty much what the old Dragon was, anyways? That's one of, if not the main, reasons you don't see many magazines anymore.

The old Dragon was a good resource for book reviews. How else would I have discovered the fantasy classic Morlac, Quest of the Green Magician?

(Dragon 119, March 1987 for those keeping score).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The old Dragon was a good resource for book reviews. How else would I have discovered the fantasy classic Morlac, Quest of the Green Magician?

(Dragon 119, March 1987 for those keeping score).
Heh, but that's my point: it's nearly impossible for WotC to keep up with fan blogs on this score, thanks to the Internet...

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

The cats were the best thing in the issue. You must be a dog person. ;-)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The article on Catlantis was the best thing in the issue, I enjoyed reading about how they developed the idea into a setting.

Valdier

Explorer
One interesting piece I noticed was the lack of level range being noted for Tomb of Horrors unlike the original version. I hope that is in there somewhere.

As for the intro, I think they meant descendants when they said Durnan's ancestors took over the Yawning Portal.

Nope, that's because is every official source I've ever seen of the YP, the current owner is named Durnan. And is the 3rd, 4th, 25th descendant of the original Durnan. Even personalities and descriptions seem to always be the same. Another one of those FR things where classic characters can never die.

flametitan

Explorer
Nope, that's because is every official source I've ever seen of the YP, the current owner is named Durnan. And is the 3rd, 4th, 25th descendant of the original Durnan. Even personalities and descriptions seem to always be the same. Another one of those FR things where classic characters can never die.

In context, I don't think they mean what you think they mean (I can't copy and paste it directly, so that's why I didn't post it at first):

Yawning Portal Introduction said:
Few at first believed it could be Durnan, but folk as long lived as he vouched it so. The Yawning Portal had passed into the hands of his ancestors, but Durnan returned with enough riches for them to quietly retire. Durnan took his customary place behind the bar, raised a toast to his own safe return, and then began serving customers as if he'd never left.

Remove ads

Remove ads