Spring's D&D Release Will Be Ship-Themed

So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full...

So they talked about it a little bit on today's Fireside Chat. They mentioned that the full reveal are coming at a later date, but it will be a ship based product. It's almost done, but cover and title are not yet finalized.

Not much else was mentioned except some joke titles!

Not too surprising, given the UA, the upcoming seafaring comic book, the ship mini set, etc.

CapnZapp

Legend
This could be true, when addressing the single customer. What I don't understand is a company hoping to have the usual revenues (or increasing them) with a niche product.
I don't have an opinion on that.

I merely wished to point out the logic that I couldn't find: "if I don't wish to buy more products from WotC, maybe it's a good thing the products don't interest me". :)

CapnZapp

Legend
I've never been drawn to "ship-themed" adventures. Perhaps I associate such a thing of working thematically like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies which I really don't associate with D&D? I suppose if I had additional inspiration and gave it more thought, it could be fun?
I'm fairly neutral, considering you could simply treat ships as moving dungeon rooms.

That is: the product may well provide more details for players interested in the nitty-gritty of ships, but it is the style of D&D of not requiring such interest.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Not good. Now that there's a sizable 5E library, they need to transition to fewer releases per year. A lot of people are already suffering from official-release fatigue.

I respectfully disagree. In fact, I would be horrified if WotC slowed down their release pace. As we have seen, even their "quality over quantity" policy has given us horrible train-wrecks like HotDQ. This is (IMHO) not because they are releasing too many books (they aren't), but because bad design can happen, whether the designers are good or not. I would rather have more products, with some of them being good and some being bad, than have only a few books (some of which may not be so great) with design levels that can vary wildly.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've never been drawn to "ship-themed" adventures. Perhaps I associate such a thing of working thematically like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies which I really don't associate with D&D? I suppose if I had additional inspiration and gave it more thought, it could be fun?

The Pirates of the Caribbean movies are super D&D, though?

The thing is, it is an adventure genre not extremely well supported out of the box. Adequately, but with a lot of DM elbow grease to fill the gaps. A book to fill those gaps is about what the doctor ordered.

Now players from this age want skyships. We only carvorite, a special mineral found in the flying islands what appeared after some strange phenomenons links with planar rifts to the Chaotic Limbo gate.

And do you know? There is a good reason to add (arcanepunk) vehicles to D&D: Hasbro could sell toys.

Africa in D&D? Maybe after Kara-Tur and Maztica and the marvel comic blockbuster movie "Black Panther" D&D might be ready to show its own version of Wakanda. About Oceania Hawai has got links with the Polynesian culture. Maybe a fantastic version of Oceania can be a good settin for pirates.

If there is a return of Kara-tur we should see again old classes as the martial adepts (3.5 Tome of Battle: Book of nine Swords), the ninja, the samurai or the sohei. Al-Qadim? Maybe after the comingsoon action-live version of Disney's Aladdin.

aco175

Legend
I wish...

I suspect, however, that it will be set near or in Luskan, with references to Jarlaxle sprinkled throughout.

I would rather have Luskan than Sea of Fallen Stars myself, without Jaraxle and that burden. Better if they detailes part of the city and some of the other islands in the region, or along the whole Sword Coast.

dwayne

Adventurer
I want pirates, big game hunters, pygmy cannibals, cursed undead, lepored priests, massive forest covered ruined temples, voodoo warlocks, and sirens. yes Indiana Jones meets pirates of the Caribbean, sea planes are optional but black powder and sabers for everyone.

Pirates of the Caribbean is very D&Dish. It's a lot close in tone to the-game-how-it-is-really-played than a po-faced LotR movie.

ron beck

Villager
I like the cover art for Long Walk the most, but the title for Boats and :):):):):) is the best IMO.
the other 2 have kind of an optimistic feel to them, which I feel sends the wrong message to players. I want something that will let them know just how truly buggered they are.

Remove ads

Remove ads