GSL 4E

Phototoxin

Explorer
So I'm trying to write up some adventures into a more 'other people' friendly format, with the first few specifically aimed and new DMs.

My concern is that under the OGL you can't give page numbers or provide stat blocks for anything that exists (as well as reference/use the special monsters like mind flayers or beholders)

So if I write a 'tactical encounter' / combat encounter I can't give page references e.g.; 6 goblin blackblades (MM1pg 55) 1 Aspect of Lolth (MM3 pg 666) nor can I reproduce stat blocks.

Is there a practical solution to this or have I totally got the wrong end of the stick?

Last edited:

Nellisir

Hero
So I'm trying to write up some adventures into a more 'other people' friendly format, with the first few specifically aimed and new DMs.

My concern is that under the OGL you can't give page numbers or provide stat blocks for anything that exists (as well as reference/use the special monsters like mind flayers or beholders)

So if I write a 'tactical encounter' / combat encounter I can't give page references e.g.; 6 goblin blackblades (MM1pg 55) 1 Aspect of Lolth (MM3 pg 666) nor can I reproduce stat blocks.

Is there a practical solution to this or have I totally got the wrong end of the stick?

There is no "OGL 4e". Do you mean the GSL?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
GSL. The way third parties usually handle it is to simply create new monsters. A "Southampton Goblin" or a "Joe Dragon" (or something better names). If you're OK with WotC's naming strategy, you just take a goblin and grab two random words from the dictionary - a goblin pinklamp or a goblin fatpen or a goblin thunderspeaker or a goblin darkcheese.

Phototoxin

Explorer
OK next GSL 'self publishing' -

I want to stick these adventures on a/my website for people to enjoy.

I intend each 'adventure/module/delve/whatever' to consist of the actual PDF, a file with images of the maps and then another file with the monster blocks in it. Is this sensible?

I'm trying to arrange a 2-3 column format (proving more difficult than it sounds!) in word and then convert it to PDF.

I don't have access (or skills) with publisher (yet) to do it in such a pimped out format. So it's pretty basic.

The first 3-4 bits form a newbie DMs guide 101 from level 1-3, giving some nice hooks in a generic world. Then there's another set of 1-5 without as much hand-holding.

Also what is the best way to produce dungeon maps?

Also is this the best forum for it or would the 'EN world publishing' section people know more? (not actually intending to properly publish it unless it's like the best thing since sliced goblin!)

Nellisir

Hero
Good.

I intend each 'adventure/module/delve/whatever' to consist of the actual PDF, a file with images of the maps and then another file with the monster blocks in it. Is this sensible?
Sounds like a lot of files and a lot of hassle. Why can't it be one file?

I'm trying to arrange a 2-3 column format (proving more difficult than it sounds!) in word and then convert it to PDF.
Are you trying to do a 2 or 3 column format, or a 2 column format on one page and a 3 column format on another page? If you're doing different kinds of columns, you need section breaks. Or set up text boxes the size of your intended columns. That's a bit of a hack, though.

The first 3-4 bits form a newbie DMs guide 101 from level 1-3, giving some nice hooks in a generic world. Then there's another set of 1-5 without as much hand-holding.
Is a "bit" a module/delve/adventure/whatever?

Also what is the best way to produce dungeon maps?
The way that works for you. Handdrawn and scanned is nice if you've got a nice drawing style, but there are free dungeon mapping programs out there. No one ought to complain about free stuff anyways.

Also is this the best forum for it or would the 'EN world publishing' section people know more? (not actually intending to properly publish it unless it's like the best thing since sliced goblin!)
This seems like a weird forum for technical/design advice, but I'm not sure what the best one is.

Phototoxin

Explorer
Good.

Sounds like a lot of files and a lot of hassle. Why can't it be one file?

Are you trying to do a 2 or 3 column format, or a 2 column format on one page and a 3 column format on another page? If you're doing different kinds of columns, you need section breaks. Or set up text boxes the size of your intended columns. That's a bit of a hack, though.

Is a "bit" a module/delve/adventure/whatever?

The way that works for you. Handdrawn and scanned is nice if you've got a nice drawing style, but there are free dungeon mapping programs out there. No one ought to complain about free stuff anyways.

This seems like a weird forum for technical/design advice, but I'm not sure what the best one is.

Thanks for the input :)

Remove ads