Encounters Confusion

Steve_MND

First Post
Thanks for the reply. I think this is where my original assumptions about Encounters were far from the reality. I was expecting more self contained sessions that could be completed at one sitting. [...] I guess I just wasn't expecting a more long term type of session that might take three or four weeks to get through.

Yah, the Wednesdays Encounters stuff are part of a larger storyline, and will typically take about 9-15 weekly 2-hour sessions to finish, depending on your table/players/DM.

Definitely sounds like you were expecting Expeditions, which are part of Adventurer's League, but distinct from Encounters. Those are more what you were expecting, it sounds like -- mostly individual, stand-alone modules that run about four hours in length or thereabouts. if Encounters don't tickle your fancy, I'd ask your gamestore if they are running any Expeditions as well. Good luck!

aramis erak

Legend
My DM seemed to have the adventure on a tablet. I didn't see the hardback at the table.

People might get the same impression from how I run... When I was in Oregon, I had only my cheat sheets (stats and checkboxes for HP & spell slots) on both my tablet and printed when running HOTDQ... but I almost never had the adventure itself out.

We're three sessions in to OotA, and my players have seen the module at the table only twice during session... Before, after, but not during. I used the Encounters PDF to check a map...

And I redrew the cavern map in a cleaned up form... If you didn't know which I was running, you could easily assume I was entirely homebrewed. You'd be wrong, but you definitely could.

Coredump

Explorer
[MENTION=6939]Coredump[/MENTION] I'll try to give a little more detail about my experience. Possible spoilers ahead.....

My PC had zero equipment except for undergarments. The other three PCs had a length of rope, a shard of crystal or something that could be used as a shiv, and a flawed gemstone between them.
We did not go on work details. The details were described to us as busywork like piling rocks in one place and then moving them back. It was described as something we had done during our captivity, but we didn't role play it during the session.

Ah.... that was (IMO) a big and important mistake. These 'work details' are the best way for PCs to gather intel and scrounge gear. For example, one of my players was doing scut work in the kitchen and managed to steal a fork. Back in the cave they manages to modify as improvised lock picks. Another player was doing cleaning and looking for 'anything metal'. He found the tip of a crossbow bolt. Two PCs planned a more involved scene where they tried to distract a guard and steal his key. Didn't work, but its that kind of opportunites that the work details allow.
That is when you can try and interact with the Drow, get information, find useful items, try and befriend a quaggoth...whatever. Its hard to plan a jailbreak while doing nothing but sitting in your cell.

These are the NPCs and their reactions as I remember them. I don't have my adventure notes handy, so I'll just use descriptions from memory.

That is about right.... but I think he played the other prisoners as a bit more belligerent and unhelpful than I did. They may not share personal knowledge, but they would give up info about the Drow and outpost.

We learned the general layout of the compound through description of our previous work details. Where the stalactite buildings are, the location of the web layer and the elevator and waterfall. We noticed inscriptions on the cell door and determined that the caster's spells don't work. Somehow we know there is an armory above the guard post, but I don't remember how we got that info.
Those work details would let you test if magic works outside of the cage...
We also know about how many guards there are, and about the priestesses and male leader types. We learned about the schism between the scarred male and the one who took over his place with the priestess.
Shortly after that "scar" offered us the opportunity to escape. End of session.
I was not there, and don't know the DM, so this is just conjecture...

It is the DM's job to place obstacles, and the Players/PCs job to find a solution. It sounds like your DM had already decided on what 'the' solution would be and was just working towards that. He should have been open to PCs figuring something else out.

But I would say to stick with it. This situation gives you a chance to explore new mechanics and such. The Help Action and Grapples become much more useful, for example.

Coredump

Explorer
I think we have been confusing 'entry level' or 'introduction' as 'boring and linear'. Yes a straight dungeon craw is pretty direct....but its also really linear. I refuse to accept that a 'new person' can only handle going from Room One down the hall to Room Two.

If you walk up to anyone on the street, and tell them to imagine being stuck in a third world jail, being put to work on a regular basis.... and ask them to plan their escape.... I think the vast majority will be able to come up with a plan. Even if its only based on a TV show from last week. The 'new people' have plenty of imagination and experience to draw from..... they may not be familiar with DnD mechanics, but that isn't the issue here.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases