Tales From The Yawning Portal - 7 Classic Dungeons Updated To 5E!

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

C1bHoHNVQAE-3qx.jpg-large.jpg

When the shadows grow long in Waterdeep and the fireplace in the taproom of the Yawning Portal dims to a deep crimson glow, adventurers from across the Sword Coast spin tales and spread rumors of lost treasures.

Within this tome are seven of the deadliest dungeons from the history of Dungeons & Dragons. Some are classics that have hosted an untold number of adventurers, while others are newer creations, boldly staking a claim to their place in the pantheon of notable adventures.

The seeds of these stories now rest in your hands. D&D’s deadliest dungeons are now part of your arsenal of adventures. Enjoy, and remember to keep a few spare character sheets handy.

For use with the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide, this book provides fans with a treasure trove of adventures, all of which have been updated to the fifth edition rules. Explore seven deadly dungeons in this adventure supplement for the world’s greatest roleplaying game:

• Against the Giants
  • Dead in Thay
  • Forge of Fury
  • Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
  • Sunless Citadel
  • Tomb of Horrors
  • White Plume Mountain

Find it on WotC's site here. Forbes has an interview about it here. Mearls says "We're announcing a new D&D product, a book coming out this spring. It is called Tales from the Yawning Portal(out March 24th in local game stores and April 4th everywhere else) It's a collection of seven of the most famous dungeons from Dungeons & Dragons history. They're all collected in one hardcover book. The idea behind it is not only do you want to capture some of the most famous dungeons from the game's history, but we also wanted to give a selection of adventures that you could in theory start at Level 1 with the first dungeon and play all the way up to Level 15 by playing the adventures one after another."

DSC06258-1200x675.jpg

Cover Image

DSC06257-e1483590685311-1200x2134.jpg

Gibbering Mouther

DSC06270-e1483590966307-1200x2134.jpg

DSC06278-e1483590790367-1200x2134.jpg

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Save
Save

SaveSave
SaveSave

Curmudjinn

Explorer
Interesting. I disagree, because The Wild Goose (AKA The World Serpent Inn) in Arabel is far more likely to serve as a nexus point for adventurers to visit other settings.

The problem is that the World Serpent is more of a trap dimension than a useful adventure stop. Similar to the mists of Ravenloft. Once you enter, per the original concept of the inn, you have no idea where you are leaving to.
Whereas, the Yawning Portal is a true rest stop before adventuring, being the last bed til Undermountain and Skullport. And you can choose to go anywhere from Skullport.

Remathilis

Legend
So they are flat out doing "D&D's Greatest Hits".

I'm glad. These adventures need to be "in print" in a very visible way. They are part of the collective experience of D&D players (well, maybe not Dead in Thay...) and new players and new DMs should have access to them (without needing conversion guides or PDFs). My only concern is that some of the modules (mostly AtG) were written for monsters of... different statistical levels. I wonder if they will be touching them up to make them conform to 5e statistics.

Consider mine pre-ordered.

wildboar

First Post
So are those DMs who don't run published modules (the majority according to WotC polls) just borked for content this edition?

If so, can we get something new? I get that Mearls is an OSR friendly guy (which is fantastic!) but so far we've just had reimaginings of the DL series, D/Q series, T series, I series, and G series of oldTSR modules. Now, with Tales from the Yawning Portal, we're literally just getting updates of older materials.

Don't get me wrong, I love the old stuff but would also love to see some new stuff. Especially since many of us run low magic/low fantasycampaign worlds where the gonzo high magic stuff noted above just won't work.

dagger

Adventurer
I am interested to see the Against the Giants conversion.....I hope they really put some time into it. Tough module to balance I bet, especially a certain room in the first module.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
Im a lil bit intrigued by this compilation. It kind of makes me wonder whats the point, all of this are easily rum with little hassle from their original versions.

wwanno

First Post
I wonder if the old school conversions on the DMSGuild inspired this a bit? I wonder if they were doing good enough to show WotC that this was a great idea?

the point is that we (or I would better say I) don't need this book

1 - White Plume Mountain and Against the Giants --> Already converted on DMsGuild "Classic Modules Today"

2 - Dead in Thay --> was written with the playtest rules (very similar to 5e).

3 - Tomb of Horrors --> was converted to the playtest rules (very similar to 5e) in Dungeon #213

4 - Forge of the fury & The Sunless Citadel --> REALLY???????????

5 - GIMME UNDERMOUNTAIN! THE REAL ONE!!!!!

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

flametitan

Explorer
So are those DMs who don't run published modules (the majority according to WotC polls) just borked for content this edition?

What their studies suggested was that even if you homebrew, there were relatively few people that didn't at least relentlessly take bits from modules they liked, so they're still supporting homebrewers by giving them ideas to lift and make their own.

GarrettKP

Explorer
So while everyone is arguing/complaining/grognarding (That last one is a word... I think), I am over here wondering who everyone on the cover is. Obviously Durnan is front and center, but what about the other 8 faces?

CFong

First Post
I'm in the camp of 'can't wait for this to come out!' Looks to be tons of fun, and really look forward to running these. Honestly, I've been really happy with 5E's releases, with a few exceptions. Wonder how narratively connected these dungeons / areas will be (if at all.) I think I saw someone write something about the rod of 7 wonders. That'd actually be a brilliant way to connect everything. The super fetch quest, almost like an old school Nintendo game (i.e. find pieces of tri-force, find 4 crystals, etc.)

darjr

I crit!
So while everyone is arguing/complaining/grognarding (That last one is a word... I think), I am over here wondering who everyone on the cover is. Obviously Durnan is front and center, but what about the other 8 faces?
Oh! Good question!

I see Acerack in the background. I think.

Remove ads

Remove ads