D&D 5E How much Forgotten Realms have you used in your games?

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I've been running in the Realms since the Gray Box in '87. All my major campaigns have been there, and have pretty much covered the continent of Faerun, down to Chult, and also into Al Qadim and Kara-Tur as well. The majority of them have been in the Sword Coast and the North, but have touched a lot of areas.

As for canon, I generally include all of the published materials, novels, etc. in some way. But, they are treated as bards' tales. So how much of them are true can vary quite a bit. Having said that, there are a great many things from the rules that I don't use. Races and classes in particular. Also, things that were ported into the Realms - ironically most of the lore in Volo's Guide to Monsters isn't going to make the cut. I can't stand the lore behind SKT either, but the general idea that giant attacks have risen is still present.

As I'm continuing now, I'm stripping back to more of the AD&D version of the Realms (set in the present times) in terms of feel and options.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Never used the setting, I homebrew my world.

However, I have used (as I interpret the Op asking how much of the FR we use);

Most city layouts with maps (Waterdeep had an excellent 2E map).
Numerous NPCs to go with the cities.
Undermountain.
Mythal mechanics.
Lost Empires of Faerun
Magic of Faerun
Region based skills
Runecaster
Shadow Adept
(and etc etc for classes and prestige classes)
2e version of Vaasa.

That covers most of it, not including specific spells, monsters, or magical items.

Oh and the group the Iron Ring

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
None. When I first started D&D, my good friend who got me into the game had read every Forgotten Realms novel in existence at that time. The task of running a game in Forgotten Realms with his daunting knowledge of the setting while having little to no knowledge myself was enough to put me off it.

For the next 25 years.

This exactly. I played in the FR for years and still don't feel I could run it to the satisfaction of my friends who love the FR. Too many details, too many countries and NPCs and things set.

And for those that don't care about FR, why would I want to run it? What does it buy me?

And really, years of being the guy on the outside who didn't read every FR novel or peruse each new TSR then WotC publication on it, I've grown to actively dislike it.

I homebrew my settings. You might find bits of Earthsea's Archipelagoes or mythic underpinings that could be designed by Tim Powers. Maybe something that reminds you of the works of Guy Gavriel Kay or Scott Lynch or Emma Bull. Maybe Zelazny's Jack of Shadows has a large impact on how I envision one god, or high society's Brustian view on death as a warning in a world with resurrection magic for a price. Perhaps if I run later campaigns in the same setting, I'll take advice from Thomas Covenant and make sure I hand it back to my players broken.

But the FR nor it's player-beggering NPCs do not grace the table when I run.

aco175

Legend
I ran a Daggerford campaign years ago when the Under Illifarn module came out. I still like this module and thought about getting the 5e module based in that area. A number of campaigns have gone by since then were mostly in a homebrew setting with bits taken from FR or other sources. With 5e, we played LMoP and continued with homemade follow on adventures in that general region. I also merged another campaign in to the same region, mostly so I could reuse several things I wrote. We also played a Cormyr campaign years ago and a short -lived Dalelands campaign.

I think the next campaign will be played in FR as well. I am finding that having more of the world made for me allows me to make the adventures and exciting bits while the background stuff like town and country be something I do not need to worry about as much. I am in the middle of an adventure in Waterdeep and am using several bits from 2e and 3e to make it run. I'm not worrying about changing the names of people who should have died 100years ago or coming up with new businesses when I can use Volo's guide.

I would like to explore several other areas of the world, but think that my groups thoughts on the world fit with areas like the North and Cormyr. Mostly the players idea of middle ages Europe, specifically England, France, and Ireland. Other area of FR seem flavored to other places in the real world and may not be as fun for my group. Maybe fun is not the word, but harder to bring into our style of play.

ProgBard

First Post
My current home game is centered on the Dragon Coast, and Westgate in particular; the party has gone as far as Starmantle* and back. If things continue on their current course, we're likely to visit Marsember, the Dales**, and the Silver Marches before we're through. (And beyond to the Planes, natch, but that's outside the scope of the subject at hand.)

Last year I also ran a game at the FLGS set in the more-or-less AL-canon Realms that started in Baldur's Gate and ended in Urmlaspyr, picking up Berdusk, Asbravn, and an almost-rebuilt-but-doomed Ilipur along the way. So the evidence so far is that I'm unable to stay away from the Sea of Fallen Stars for long. I think I'm okay with that.

*We're explicitly playing in an alternate timeline where the Spellplague never happened, in 1501 DR. My approach to canon and Realmslore is that the 3e FRCS is historical truth unless it's more interesting if it isn't, giving me the century-plus since then to wreak havoc where needed. The Cormyrean Interregnum, frex, was an interesting time there for a while.
**Our paladin is the descendant of Fenian Fitzmantle, lost heir of Aencar, and therefore the secret King of the Dalelands. Well, formerly secret, until some maneuvering forced her unwilling into the spotlight, in a moment of DM bastardry I'm still unseemingly fond of.

Li Shenron

Legend
For those who run games in FR, or play in FR games, how much Faerûn have you covered?

Uhm... I don't strictly run games in FR, but I have used regions and cities (and monsters and deities and NPCs...) from the FR in various homebrew campaigns. At least on the top of my head I remember using the following (in some cases heavily modified):

Amn
Rashemen
Thay
Netheril
Calimport
Chessenta
Anauroch
Neverwinter
Waterdeep
Zhentil Keep
Menzoberranzan

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Hm, judging from the responses so far, very few people actually play in FR. I hope WotC knows this :heh:

Heh, what I see is that people are using 1E or 3E sources, primarily, to fuel their 5E games, or just going off of what's in the APs. Divided audience, suggests a 5E FRCG would be...problematic...if people using the books are scattered as to era in actual use. Hence the timeline agnostic releases for 5E.

Mercule

Adventurer
None. When I first started D&D, my good friend who got me into the game had read every Forgotten Realms novel in existence at that time. The task of running a game in Forgotten Realms with his daunting knowledge of the setting while having little to no knowledge myself was enough to put me off it.

For the next 25 years.
Mostly, this. In my case, I found the gray box to be a bit uninspiring, but unoffensive. My buddy liked it and ran one campaign set theoretically in Amn (or was it Cormyr?) that probably bore little resemblance to the book because of the insane Monty Haul nature of that campaign. I was the primary GM for the group and continued to work on my own, home brewed setting. Occasionally, I'd do something with Greyhawk, but mainly if it was just beer and pretzels. The other guy who did a lot of GMing also used a homebrew setting.

Sometime around 1990 (ish, it's been a while), I started to encounter more Realms-fans. That made me think that I should maybe look at the setting, again, since it was clearly the new Greyhawk/trade tongue. I found it somewhat... unpleasant. The amount of lore for the Realms was daunting, even at that point. There were also a few folks who couldn't just shut up about it, either, and most of them were canon nazis. I joined a couple of Realms groups, but often found them to be filled with players who insisted on nit-picking the GM with minutia about his setting mistakes or meta-gaming about various factions' motives. There was very little tolerance for my ignorance. The novels are (IME) universally too painful to force myself to read to gather the information contained therein. The details in the setting guides often feel like they're simply vanilla fantasy "turned up to 11" and the whole thing could be done in smaller scale with smaller organizations without losing anything beyond "it's world sweeping" -- of course, that could be due to the obsessive fan spew of facts I seem to run into more than the source books, themselves. During the early 1990s, TSR behaved rather poorly (Microsoft evil empire type behavior) especially if you were active on the Internet. One of these was an apparent pushing of the Realms into the forefront, especially if it meant replacing any personal touches Gary may have left on the game (i.e. Greyhawk). This didn't sit well with me, either.

So, the Realms came to represent a combination of rabid, fatbeard fans I didn't want to game with; truly horrible fiction; and vindictive corporate management. Regardless of the quality of the setting, itself, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to see the Realms as anything other than a blight.

One positive thing I'll say about the Realms: The production value of the game setting material has always been top notch. The gray box made me rethink some of my own notes on my home brew setting and the way I organized them. The 3e FRCS hardcover did the same thing, and I've repeatedly considered purchasing it for organizational guidance, even though I don't see me using any of the material. Even in 5E, the SCAG, while not revolutionary, is pretty much what I'd consider the "right" level of detail for a vanilla published setting.

I ran a Daggerford campaign years ago when the Under Illifarn module came out.
I remember the Under Illifarn module and actually owned it. I remember absolutely nothing else about it, at this point. I do know that I used it and stole enough from it that I ended up bastardizing the name to "Ilfandar" to put into my setting. Note that I generally scrub any borrowed names like this and doing so has nothing to do with negative feelings about the Realms.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
Since the mid 1990s I have set my campaigns exclusively in the Realms. My starting locations are either Waterdeep (specifically to utilize the Yawning Portal for access to Undermountain) or anywhere in Cormyr.

One of the longstanding pillars of the Realms is the presence of countless gates (portals to you young people) in the setting. I have yet to run a campaign where my players did not step through a gate to somewhere else in the Realms, or to another plane or world.

Beyond my preferred starting locations, in the Realms I enjoy running side treks to:
  • Myth Drannor.
  • Anywhere in the Savage North. That place is wild and violent.
  • The Moonsea region (Zhentil Keep, etc.).
  • Anywhere in the Underdark.
  • Coastal and western Sembia.
  • Anywhere in the Realms that fits the numerous published D&D adventures (WotC and Third Party material) I am borrowing for my campaign.

That last point is one I think DMs overlook. The Realms is the perfect backdrop in which to set material from pretty much anywhere, and I have had a ton of success this way.

EDIT: In terms of statistics on where in the Realms people are most likely to their campaigns my knowledge is dated by about 17 years. Last I heard, the preferred locations were Cormyr, The Dales and the Moonsea Region, followed by the northern Sword Coast, Waterdeep, Savage North.

Last edited:

Remove ads