WotC Names 10 "Adepts" On Their DMs Guild Store

WotC's Dungeon Masters Guild store launched 18-months ago, and was a vehicle for D&D fans to produce material and sell it to other fans in one convenient online mega-store; WotC's version of the App Store, essentially. WotC's Chris Lindsay comments that the store now has thousands of new publishers on the store - something which is both bug and feature. One of the problems with such a large body of content is that it can be tough to find the really good stuff, and WotC has tried to address this is in past with columns highlighting certain products (and, indeed, there are websites which do that very well too, including the ENnie-nominated Loot the Room which posts a monthly Best of the DM's Guild column).

WotC's Dungeon Masters Guild store launched 18-months ago, and was a vehicle for D&D fans to produce material and sell it to other fans in one convenient online mega-store; WotC's version of the App Store, essentially. WotC's Chris Lindsay comments that the store now has thousands of new publishers on the store - something which is both bug and feature. One of the problems with such a large body of content is that it can be tough to find the really good stuff, and WotC has tried to address this is in past with columns highlighting certain products (and, indeed, there are websites which do that very well too, including the ENnie-nominated Loot the Room which posts a monthly Best of the DM's Guild column).

guild_adept.png

WotC has just launched a new initiative. They have picked ten DMs Guild creators, who they are calling "Adepts", and will be highlighting them in their podcasts and other media going forward, as well as giving them early copies of adventures like the upcoming Tomb of Annihilation so that they can produce content to go with that product on launch day. They even get a special gold badge so you can spot them on the store!

So who are WotC's first Adepts? They are:

I did a quick search at DMs Guild and linked to those authors I could find, though I failed my search-fu on three of them. But you can check out the ones which did work.

From what WotC is saying, it looks like this group will change periodically -- "It won’t always be the same group, and the group won’t always be the same number of folks, but it will be fun and exciting to see what wonders they create." There's more information in WotC's announcement.

One of the important take-aways for most is that there will be third-party content for new adventures on launch day.
SaveSave

So what do people who purchase (not just download free/PWYW stuff) products from the DM's Guild want to see from the Guild Adepts? What kind of products would you use that are tied in to a hardcover adventure/gazetteer like we have seen in Storm King's Thunder, for example?

Thanks!

For my part, "Book of Lairs" or "Side Treks" type products that tie into the campaign. I've bought a couple of these for SKT, which is so far the only published adventure I've run. But I like a slower pace of advancement and it seems likely that the published campaign books aren't going to have enough content for my tastes.

Peter Saumur

First Post
This is my current big question for the Adept program - how will this differ from AL content? Will it be just AL content but NOT for structured/tournament play and just labeled "Adept"?

So what do people who purchase (not just download free/PWYW stuff) products from the DM's Guild want to see from the Guild Adepts? What kind of products would you use that are tied in to a hardcover adventure/gazetteer like we have seen in Storm King's Thunder, for example?

Thanks!

Well I've just recently purchased a few products written in support of Storm King's Thunder and Princes of the Apocalypse.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/197109/Triboar--a-Storm-Kings-Thunder-DMs-resource
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/188656/Triboar-Region-Maps
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/200486/Encounters-in-the-Savage-Frontier

I'd hope that the Adepts program would produce similar products, things that I can drop into the published campaigns with minimal effort or that expand on and tie together the locations.

In Dragon Talk they said that the AL modules of ToA wont run 'parallel' to the AP but be more 'intertwined' with it. An example was that the first 2 modules for AL will actually be alternative lead-ins to ToA and that the later modules will be 'the day after' ToA.

Also Perkins says that they are releasing a PDF on the day that ToA comes out that will be about all about an island south of Chult. The island is home to Tortles and will have a settlement guide, rules for Tortle PCs, and Tortle guide.

I'm guessing its one of the products of one of the Adepts, so we have a small idea of what kind stuff they're working on.

edit- turns out its not from the Adepts it's from Perkins and Crawford. They'll sell it on DMGild. and will be an official supplement that is AL legal.

Also the Adepts are working together/communicating via a slack channel

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads