Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

D

DQDesign

I will buy it if the setting will be opened on DMsGuild for independent development, as for FR and Ravenloft.

Patrick McGill

First Post
Out of context, Ravnica as a D&D setting is a very very good move. It's one of the most popular (if not THE most popular) Magic settings and it is so distinct from Faerun that it should hold some interest to D&D non-magic players.

In context, after the build up, if it is the only announcement, it's just not going to go over too well. 5e has utilized nostalgia to really good effect, but Wizards are going to pay for that with resistance to new ideas and settings if they don't try to also appease the nostalgia they've cultivated.

My bet, however, based on earlier statements is that they will indeed have a couple of announcements tomorrow and their whole plan was to have a classic setting as well as a new experimental one announced at the same time in order to keep both the nostalgia gamers happy and to appeal to the magic demographic (a very very very-very-very-very-very large demographic.)

This is why I passionately hate leaks like this, it completely removes the context a developer has tried to create for the release and information sharing on their products. Controlling that context is key to marketing, and crap like this ruins it. If I were WotC I would be pretty pissed off about these showing up on Amazon right now.

Mercurius

Legend
My guess is that they're going to announce Ravnica (obviously) and some kind of Planescape/Spelljammer hybrid book coming out some time early next year, which will also offer more info on other prime material planes--other D&D worlds--than previous Manual of the Planes books.

I also don't think we'll see a 5e Eberron book from WotC, but that it will either be opened up to DM's Guild or licensed to a 3PP under Keith Baker's oversight. This might be true of Dark Sun as well, but do think we're more likely to see at least a story arc.

So my guess is that the next five or so books, in some particular order, will be:
*Ravnica setting book
*Ravnica book of adventures ("Ravnican Yawning Portal")
*Planescape/Spelljammer book
*Planescape/Spelljammer story arc - something involving the githyanki
*Dark Sun story arc that includes psionics and setting info

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Interesting... I guess it's true. Nobody wants anything new, they just want the same things rehashed over and over.

Simple truth is: This is the first new setting for D&D for years, and the overall response is... <looks over the posts> Horror and denial... I'm not surprised, but it does make me a bit sad. It's not like all the other settings don't have decades of RPG books and expansions out there on ebay just waiting for you to grab them all. It's not even that much effort to shift them to 5th edition. Or even pathfinder. Or any other game system.

I mean, is ONE new setting book that horrible a thing?

I am surprised by the negativity. My initial reaction was "cool", and then when I started reading the thread I was caught totally off guard.

I guess all the people who have been asking for new settings haven't woken up yet.

Do you imagine the d20 version of mana planewalker power? I guess something like the 3.5 incarnum game mechanic, with points of essentia and the chakras (body slots for magic item), for example three points of mana/essentia for the chakra red or green.

Other option is a M:tG multiverse in D&D but without planewalkers or out-of-screen.

I get it's real. I'm still holding out hope we get a second announcement about an actual D&D setting as well. I'm still banking on a UA about Eberron that will coincidence with a 2019 book.

I'll be mad if this is the ONLY setting we're getting after the hints and build up.
Agreed. I'm hoping we get *something* in the Guild that isn't just "fans can do Eberron now."

Lots of mad people was always inevitable, whatever the announcement.
There's going to be disappointed people, yes. But people are more upset because we'd spent a month wondering what the announcement would be and staff at WotC spent much of that time teasing up with the possibility it might be something classic.

Had this come out of nowhere, people would be surprised and no one would be disappointed.
Had they instead said "something is coming, and you will be surprised as it's not what you think..." people might be surprised and fewer people would be disappointed.

But, instead, they trolled us. They got people's hopes up. Which has moved some people from unimpressed to pissed off.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So torn. It's not the Realms, which is awesome. But, it's Mtg, which is something I've actively avoided for about 20 years, after a brief flirtation.

I'd say I'm mostly disappointed, but I think some of that is my interest in Eberron, some is disinterest in Magic, and some is that the hype was explicit in this not being a new setting. Well, this is a new setting for D&D.

I too played a bit with MtG and concluded that this was not the game for me... and I still think that Ravnika could be a very good D&D setting. So don't let your dislike of MtG color your impressions. There is a lot of potential there.

What I wonder is how much they will adapt D&D to fit the lore of Ravnika - or vice versa.

Remathilis

Legend
So I looked back at what Nathan Stewart said on comicbook.com ...

"Next month we're going to talk about a couple of different settings that people can start playing as early as this year," Stewart said.

These new publications won't be full-blown storylines, but rather an introduction to different worlds set inside the D&D multiverse. t."

Stewart declined to say which campaign settings D&D would be revisiting this year, but he did note that the books would please "hardcore fans" of the franchise.

Dungeons & Dragons plans to start talking about the new product as early as next month. "We have two surprises that I think hardcore D&D fans are really going to love coming this summer," Stewart said. "And then I think we got one surprise that's going to release later this year that we've not told anyone about. We're going to announce it in July."

Nathan seems to be implying there are two surprises for "hardcore D&D fans" (and believe me, Ravnica isn't going to please hardcore fans of D&D's franchise the way Stewart is talking) and the last sentence implies as third surprise coming "this year" which sounds like Ravnica to me. In addition, Stewart was the one who tweeted the dice-pic with the Eberron Campaign Setting cover in the background. Top it off with the fact that July's Unearthed Arcana was pushed back to 7/23 (same as the announcement) and I wager that tomorrow, we get an announcement of three settings: Eberron (with a UA of races and other mechanics to playtest until the proper book in 2019 comes out), Ravnica (the third mystery product Stewart mentioned and the fourth D&D book also hinted at) and a third product also setting-related (either Planescape, Spelljammer, another prime setting, or a planar-themed module).

Remove ads

Remove ads