WOIN A West Marches NEW game

M3woods

Explorer
I like this - works just fine for me, and I'm naturally assuming that I'll be (co)GMing, since that's what I do. ;)
Having just caught up on The Expanse television series, a station at the edge of a gate wouldn't be too great a stretch for this type of campaign.

Brian I

First Post
It’s exciting to see this form up. I’m going to look to put up a starter map - essentially blank, and maybe some rumor, orgs and such.

PCs should be default NEW characters, grade 5. I’d like to allow in the standard NEW races, plus looking to allow in the additional ones from EONS.

Last edited:

Steven Barker

First Post
It’s exciting to see this form up. I’m going to look to put up a starter map - essentially blank, and maybe some rumor, orgs and such.

PCs should be default NOW characters, grade 5. I’d like to allow in the standard NOW races, plus looking to allow in the additional ones from EONS.

I'm curious what your plan is for the players getting around in space. Are starships going to be available for free (or on lease, or something) to groups of starting players? That was one of the reasons I had suggested a one-system exploration area, the ships required to shuttle around are a lot cheaper, and won't require many specialized skills to use. They'd also be less capable of long-duration support for an exploration team, which leads me in to my next question.

Are there going to be civilized worlds in the area we're exploring? A big part of the West Marches setting is that outside the one town, the rest of the area is wilderness with no civilization. Some character concepts and careers may not make much sense if there is no civilization to play in, but having other towns makes it hard for the west marches style to work as players can go out and adventure indefinitely, never coming back to the starting base.

Brian I

First Post
I'm curious what your plan is for the players getting around in space. Are starships going to be available for free (or on lease, or something) to groups of starting players? That was one of the reasons I had suggested a one-system exploration area, the ships required to shuttle around are a lot cheaper, and won't require many specialized skills to use. They'd also be less capable of long-duration support for an exploration team, which leads me in to my next question.
Great questions and guidance - thank you! So, to your point, shuttles will or can be available to starting PCs. Mainly Bossman, Vosh and Skylarks. I'd imagine they'd be available primarily on leases or patron-based loan/mission use, but depending on PCs, someone(s) could own one.

The primary base of operations is the Kiwi-Washman system. With two habitable planets, the space station, and untapped asteroid belt and gas giants, there's lots of possibilities, as you've noted.

Are there going to be civilized worlds in the area we're exploring? A big part of the West Marches setting is that outside the one town, the rest of the area is wilderness with no civilization. Some character concepts and careers may not make much sense if there is no civilization to play in, but having other towns makes it hard for the west marches style to work as players can go out and adventure indefinitely, never coming back to the starting base.
My thinking is that there are no known worlds, and no allied / safe / settled worlds in beyond Kiwi-Washman. There may or may not be first contact potentials out there, but nothing initially like a civilization. All supplies are brought in via Coreward traffic, or cultivated locally (Kiwi-Washman, or systems just Coreward of it).

As a conceit, if PCs head back Coreward, they're effectively out-of-play for the current game cycle. That is, they can be pursuing downtime / off-camera things, likely which require more time (training, etc.). Not required to go Coreward, I think, but if folks do, they're leaving the sandbox basically.

Some systems may open up, depending on Player and PC interest. Colony building is tough work ... :)

knikpiw

Explorer
So is my social PC worthless then? Must I go with with a Spartan warrior with 7 natural Soak at Grade 5 or an android that is a tactician

Remove ads