Class: The Golem Master [version 0.0.1]--request help reviewing--[draft incomplete]

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Hello all, I've begun to develop the core elements of a Golem Master Class. The class is in its 0.0.1 iteration, and I would appreciate some feedback on the features that I've developed so far. The class isn't complete yet, but would like a few comments. If you have a question about a feature, please ask!

Golem Master:

Class Features:

Hit Dice: 1d6 per Golem Master level.

Hit Points at 1st Level: 6+ constitution modifier.

Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d6 (or 4) + your constitution modifier per Golem Master level after 1st.

Proficiencies:

Armor: None

Weapons: Daggers, slings, quarterstaffs, and light crossbows.

Tools: Mason's Tools, Golem Master's Tools, Woodcarver's Tools, and Thieves' Tools.

Saving Throws: Intelligence, Constitution.

Skills: Choose three from Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, and Religion.

Starting Gold: 6d4 x 10 gp.

Starting Equipment:

.(a) 2 daggers or (b) a quarterstaff.
.(a) Mason's Tools or (b) Woodcarver's Tools.
.(a) Scholar's Tools or (b) an Explorer's Pack.
.Golem Creator's Tools and Thieves' Tools.

[the table below relates to features that follow]

TABLE OF MATERIALS:

MaterialCost per useAC modificationDexterity modificationStrength modificationSpecial
Leaves, TwigsN/A-4+4-2Frost-Vulnerable
Dirt, SandN/A-1 +2-1N/A
Clay, Thick mudN/A-1-20N/A
WoodN/A0-10Frost-Vulnerable
Glass5 gp-10-1Clean, Shatter (1d6 damage)
Weak Crystal10 gp00-1Clean, Shatter (1d6 damage)
Bronze5 gp000Clean, Dent 3
Stone5 gp+1-1+1Clean, Brittle
Strong Crystal15 gp+10+1Clean, Shatter (1d6 damage)
Silver25 gp+10+1Clean, Dent 2, Silvered
Gold250 gp-1-20Clean, Dent 1, Conductive
Copper5 gp000Clean, Dent 2, Crust 1
Very Strong Crystal500 gp+20+2Clean, Shatter, Sharp (+1)
Iron10 gp+1-1+1Clean, Dent 5
Steel15 gp+2-1 +1Clean, Dent 6
Mithril750 gp+2+2+1Clean, Dent 7, Absorb (3 spell levels)
Platinum2,500 gp+2+1+1Clean, Dent 8, Sterile
Adamantium5,000 gp+5-2+5Clean, Dent 10, Fortified
FleshSpecial-2+2+2Frost-Vulnerable, Lighting Immune, Regenerate 3
Salt1 gp-1-1+1Drying, Dissolve 7
BoneSpecial-3+20Clean, Shatter, Inactive
Wax1 gp-3+2-2Melt, Illuminate, Immolate (1d10 damage)
Golem Master's Tools: As a Golem Master, you own a set of carving implements, alchemical unguents, and small crystals that can be used to create and repair golems. You are proficient with your Golem Creator's Tools, which are usually stored in a bag or box. The tools are worth 100 gp in all, and you can't sell items from your toolkit without losing the ability to create golems. If you do not have access to you tools, you cannot create or repair golems, but you can still command them.

Create Golems: Starting at 1st level, you can create golems to serve your needs. You begin play with an additional 50 gp that can only be spent on golem creation. You can't spend starting wealth from any other source on the first golems you create when you make your character. If you don't spend all of the 50 gp on your starting golems, the remaining funds are ignored, and vanish wehn you complete the character creation step of gameplay. When you create your starting golems, you spend your allotted 50 gp on the materials that the golems are made of. Regardless of how much you have to spend on golems, you can only have a certain number under your control at one time. Note that golems "not under your control" are not active, and cannot become animate. The number of golems that you can have under your control is equal to your Intelligence modifier plus half your Golem Master level (rounded down). You can create golems of varying sizes and and types, depending on both your level and how much material you use. The sixe of your golem is dependent on the number of "uses" of of a material you put into it. The materials table on page X shows the price of a single use of a material, along with the bonuses, penalties, and properties of the listed materials. At 1st level, you can create golems of up to medium size. At 5th level, your golems can be large, at 10th they can be Huge, and at 17th, they can be Gargantuan. The number of uses needed to create a golem corresponds to its size, and the "number of uses per size category" table below lists that information:

Tiny: 2 uses
Small: 4 uses
Medium: 8 uses
Large: 16 uses
Huge: 32 uses
Gargantuan: 64 uses

Note that if you die, all of your golems are destroyed, and if you fall unconscious, your golems become temporarily inactive until you regain consciousness. In addition, you must be within 30ft of a golem in order to command it. If the golem goes out of range, it stands, immobile, and doesn't act until it comes within 30 feet of you again.

It takes a number of days equal to to double the number of uses in the golem to make a new golem, but creating new golems isn't the only thing you can do to sustain the same or a similar number of golems under your control. If a golem is destroyed, you can salvage half the number of uses of material from it, allowing you to repurpose materials, creating the same golem, but in a smaller size, if you choose not to replace the material you couldn't salvage.

Example: Fiona's Medium salt golem is destroyed. Fiona's character, Sirhaleah, repurposes half of the golem's material, creating a small golem. The original Medium salt golem was made of 8 uses of salt, so Sirhaleah is only able to salvage 4 uses from the golem. She chooses not to replace the lost material, and instead spends some time repairing the golem.

It takes a number of hours equal to double the number of uses to recreate a golem, whether you add new material or choose not to.

Golem Statistics: Golems are built on the "Golem Sheet" on page Y, and have a few defining qualities, which are presented below:

Immunties: All golems are immune to poison and psychic damage. Most are immune to cold damage as well, but those made of materials with the Frost-Vulnerable property take cold damage as normal. All golems are immune to the charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, and poisoned conditions.

Hit Points: Golems have maximum hit points equal to (4 x your Golem Master level) + your Intelligence modifier. In this case, you don't include your Intelligence modifier in the multiplication of 4 x your Golem Master level. Golems regain hit points by resting as characters do, but have no hit dice (and therefore can't regain hit points during a short rest). The hit point regain of golems represents either innate magical healing or the Golem Master tending to their golems (your choice).

Senses: Golems have nbormal vision and hearing out to a range of 120ft. Their passive percpetion scores are calculated exactly like those of player characters.

Languages: Golemns begin with no ability to speak a language, but can understand your simple commands, regardless of what language you give them in. However, golems do not respond to telepathic commands, as they have no ability to receive them.

Ability Scores: The golem's ability scores are vital to calculations of it's attack bonus. Its scores are altered by what material it is made of, but all golems have the same set of base scores, which are given below:

Strength: 14
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 20
Intelligence: 3
Wisdom: 8
Charisma: 1

Armor Class: The golem's armor class is based on the resilience of the material it is made of. Its AC isn't modified by its Dexterity m odifer, and is instead altered by the AC modification number shown on the Materials table (see page X). The golem's Ac is equal to 10 + its AC modification number.

Attack Bonus:The golem's attack bonus is determined in the same manner a PC's is. Golem's use your proficiency bonus as their own.

Speed: All golems have a base walking speed of 25 feet

Attacks: When first created, a golem can't wield weapons, and has only one attack: Slam. Slam deals deals 1d6 + the golem's Strength modifer bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damgae (your choice, but must be logical) to one target within 5ft of the golem on a hit. Both the damage and reach of the Slam attack change with the golem's size, becoming 2d6 dmage at Large size, 3d6 and a 10 ft reach at Huge size, and 4d6 damage and a 15 ft reach at Gargantuan size.

Size penalties and bonuses: The modifiers given on the Materials table assume a Medium golem, but golems can be all sizes, and thus, the different-sized golems have different strengths and weaknesses, which are added to the modifiers on the Materials table. Size penalties and bonus for golems are given below:

Tiny: -2 to Strength and +2 to Dexterity
Small: -1 to Strength and +1 to Dexterity.
Medium: No Change
Large: +1 to Strength and -1 to Dexterity
Huge: +2 to Strength and -2 to Dexteriy
Gargantuan: +3 to Strength and -3 to Dexterity

Share Senses:
Starting at 2nd level, you can channel your control over golems to shut down your own senses and use those of one of your golems. As an action, you can enter a trance that allows you to see what your golem sees, and hear what it hears. This trance can last up to 1 hour, and you must maintain concentration in order to maintain it. While within 10 miles of the golem, if you are on the same plane as it, you can see anything it sees and hear anything it hears. You can't command golems while in this trance, even if you would normally be able to. While concentrating on the trance, you are blinded and deafened. You can voluntarily end concentration as a bonus action whenever you wish. Once you go into this trance, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Golem Master Archetype: At 3rd level, you choose a Golem Master Archetype that best emulates the type of Golem Master you are or want to be. The archetypes, which grant you features at 3rd, 9th, 12th, and 15th level, are as follows: Eidolon Crafter, Deadstitcher, Arcane Sculptor, and Resilience Carver. Choose one archetype.

Ability Score Improvement: [Levels 4, 8, 12, 16, and 19]

Upgrades: Beginning at 7th level, you can apply special upgrades to your golems, enhancing their abilities. You learn 2 upgrades at 7th level, and learn an additional one at levels 11, 13, 14, 16, and 18. In addition, when you learn a new upgrade you can replace on of your old ones.The upgrades available to you are listed at the end of this class.

Supreme Crafter:
At 20th level, your golems don't suffer penalties to Armor Class, Strength, or Dexterity that are based n material or size.

Sample Upgrades:

[None yet]

Thanks for looking over my work!

generic

Sorry, but I felt that I should bump this, even though it's a bit rude.

I really would appreciate feedback.

aco175

Legend
I like the concept. It feels like a wizard shell with a few changes. Maybe take a few things from artificer to help out. A few first impressions-

I would do away with the free 50gp at first level and just give them a starter golem.

Golems made of leaves and wood should be vulnerable to fire and not cold.

Most of the feel has me coming back to just animating things and not making golems. I find that the golem template makes them resistant to non-magic weapons and a first level PC should just be able to animate something rather than make a golem. I also do not know how this crosses with the ranger and animal companions. Mostly I see using them for utility roleplaying, but you need to determine combat and it that makes them unbalanced.

generic

I like the concept. It feels like a wizard shell with a few changes. Maybe take a few things from artificer to help out. A few first impressions-

I would do away with the free 50gp at first level and just give them a starter golem.

Golems made of leaves and wood should be vulnerable to fire and not cold.

Most of the feel has me coming back to just animating things and not making golems. I find that the golem template makes them resistant to non-magic weapons and a first level PC should just be able to animate something rather than make a golem. I also do not know how this crosses with the ranger and animal companions. Mostly I see using them for utility roleplaying, but you need to determine combat and it that makes them unbalanced.

Thank you for your comments [MENTION=27385]aco175[/MENTION], you've helped me in my developement of the rest of 0.0.1.

You could get ideas from the SRD of pathfinder with the summoner and the psionic aegis classes.

I would add the update version of the spells of "repair (x) damage" to heal constructs.

Remove ads