Goodman Games' Next Reincarnation Is Expedition To The Barrier Peaks

Following on from Into the Borderlands and The Isle of Dread, Goodman Games is next bringing 1980's sci-fantasy adventure Expedition to the Barrier Peaks to D&D 5th Edition.

OAR-3-mockup.jpg

Announced at Gary Con this weekend, Expedition is due out in September. Like the others in the Original Adventures Reincarnated series, it contains the original module, handouts, and an updated 5E version.

The adventure features a crashed spaceship, robots, ray guns, and plant people.

You can find out more directly from GG's website here.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I am surprised. I thought WOTC would want to revamp this themselves for 5e.
I thought it was a pretty glaring omission from Yawning Portal. Followed by them doing Kwalish, I suspected they weren't feeling it, for whatever reason.

I had hoped that Goodman would tackle Castle Amber next, but it's hard to argue with this one for mass appeal.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I thought it was a pretty glaring omission from Yawning Portal. Followed by them doing Kwalish, I suspected they weren't feeling it, for whatever reason.

I had hoped that Goodman would tackle Castle Amber next, but it's hard to argue with this one for mass appeal.

I'm actually really curious as to which old modules are on the table, as I assume Mearls has plotted out which ones to use and how given the success of Strahd and Yawning Portal.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think it's notable that we haven't heard anything about the Slavers, D series or Queen of the Demonweb Pits. Those seem to be the major missing classic modules still missing. There's other great ones -- Beyond the Crystal Cave, Against the Cult of the Reptile God and Dwellers of the Forbidden City, for instance -- but none of them have the profile of A1-4 or D1-3 and Q1.

aco175

Legend
I must be the only one that thought this one was terrible. Maybe it was because I was 12 and remember feeling so let down when we encountered aliens and all the spaceship stuff. I guess I can only suspend disbelief so much.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think it's notable that we haven't heard anything about the Slavers, D series or Queen of the Demonweb Pits. Those seem to be the major missing classic modules still missing. There's other great ones -- Beyond the Crystal Cave, Against the Cult of the Reptile God and Dwellers of the Forbidden City, for instance -- but none of them have the profile of A1-4 or D1-3 and Q1.

There's also the Temple of Elemental Evil (PotA was an homage, but they released ToA the same year as Yawning Portal), among others: Ghosts of Saltmarsh opens up Dungeon magazine article, too.

If Ghosts of Saltmarsh is successful, I think we'll see subsequent similar sandbox compilations. Makes good use of the old modular adventures.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
If Ghosts of Saltmarsh is successful, I think we'll see subsequent similar sandbox compilations. Makes good use of the old modular adventures.
The only wrinkle on Dungeon and Dragon revamps is the rights issue. I don't know what the old contracts said, but unless they're perpetual rights, WotC would need to renegotiate the use of those old adventures. (Obviously, it's a lot easier when Mearls wrote one of them.)

But yeah, there's a treasure trove of old material they could dust off, either as its own product or to flesh out module re-releases.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The only wrinkle on Dungeon and Dragon revamps is the rights issue. I don't know what the old contracts said, but unless they're perpetual rights, WotC would need to renegotiate the use of those old adventures. (Obviously, it's a lot easier when Mearls wrote one of them.)

But yeah, there's a treasure trove of old material they could dust off, either as its own product or to flesh out module re-releases.

I'm sure the history of that is... complicated...but they publish old Dragon and Dungt material in every Dragon+ issue, ai they have been working on the legal side of those, and that might just be starting to pay off.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm sure the history of that is... complicated...but they publish old Dragon and Dungt material in every Dragon+ issue, ai they have been working on the legal side of those, and that might just be starting to pay off.
That's a good point. This is probably a mostly solved issue. (It's possible there's stuff that they don't have or can't get the rights to, and we just never see those reprinted or updated anywhere.)

In that case, I'm putting in my votes for Citadel by the Sea, Pit of the Oracle and Fedifensor to get updated next. Ooh, and a hag-ariffic update of The Dancing Hut.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases