D&D 5E So what can you do after you disarm an opponent?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The bonus action options you list are by RAW a no. Bonus actions have to be allowed by specific abilities or traits. They are not just mini-actions you get to fill in with whatever seems convenient.

Not quite true. If the object is a light weapon, and the weapon you’re wielding already is light, it works. You can make an attack as a bonus action if you took the Attack Action and are wielding two light weapons.

But even more, at level 5, you could disarm with your first strike, pick up the weapon (assuming the dm allows that without an Action for some reason) and then attack with it as your second attack.

Not quite true. If the object is a light weapon, and the weapon you’re wielding already is light, it works. You can make an attack as a bonus action if you took the Attack Action and are wielding two light weapons.

But even more, at level 5, you could disarm with your first strike, pick up the weapon (assuming the dm allows that without an Action for some reason) and then attack with it as your second attack.

One could argue that because you weren't holding a weapon in your offhand when you made the attack, that it doesn't grant the bonus action when you then later pick up a weapon. I can definitely see the rule being read this way. I really don't have strong feelings either way, but it's definitely a possibility. Definitely would work with extra attack though. Assuming the disarm is a modified attack, like shoving, instead of its own action. I don't remember what the rules are for it.

For me, picking up the weapon at the opponents feet would probably be an action. Kicking it away would be free (though I might still make it a check).
Although if was used rarely, I would probably say the weapon is flung across the room anyway to make it interesting. If it started becoming THE tactic that my players always used, I would change it though.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
One could argue that because you weren't holding a weapon in your offhand when you made the attack, that it doesn't grant the bonus action when you then later pick up a weapon. I can definitely see the rule being read this way. I really don't have strong feelings either way, but it's definitely a possibility. Definitely would work with extra attack though. Assuming the disarm is a modified attack, like shoving, instead of its own action. I don't remember what the rules are for it.

For me, picking up the weapon at the opponents feet would probably be an action. Kicking it away would be free (though I might still make it a check).
Although if was used rarely, I would probably say the weapon is flung across the room anyway to make it interesting. If it started becoming THE tactic that my players always used, I would change it though.

Kicking away I’d allow as an attack, and I’d let rogues use a bonus action to do it, I think. Or I’d allow a check to throw the weapon as part of the disarm.

Picking it up, I’d go so far as to say the person whose space you’re reaching into gets an OA.

5ekyu

Hero
Yeah I am cool with that but then it's just as difficult for the bugbear to pick up the sword on his turn right?
Exactly. The ruling(in my games) covers NPCs and PCs. Trying to take, pick-up an uncontrolled item when there is an oppodition to it right there, always an action.

Might be some exceptions for unknown invisible folks grabbing an item off a desk thats not the center of attention etc even with someone there.

But the general case of wespon on ground beside two foes - unusual obstacle or special care seems perfectly appropriate to me.

5ekyu

Hero

Those are precisely cases where specific features allow you to do things.

TWF allows you to make that bonus action attack.*
Extra attacks allows you to make that second attack as an action.

*No desire to get into litigating whether or not the wording of TWF allows you to make an attack with a light weapon and then later pick up a light weapon and still get the TWF bonus attack with that weapon. Thats a can of worms i dont think the OP meant to open.

So, i stand by my statement - "Bonus actions have to be allowed by specific abilities or traits."

Oofta

Legend
" If every fight against what's supposed to be a high level BBEG with a weapon ends with "Ha! Got your sword!" it would get old quick because it would start to feel like an "I win!" button."

How, in your opinion, is that different from something like hold person?

I am honestly interested, I don't mean to for this to be snarky or passive aggressive or combative!

The issues I see, in no particular order. The save can be significantly higher than any other saves (I'm thinking GWM here). Hold person gives you a save every round and there are other ways to counter it .

Basically hold person sucks for round or two, disarm removes all effective offensive capability for the encounter in most cases.

5ekyu

Hero
The issues I see, in no particular order. The save can be significantly higher than any other saves (I'm thinking GWM here). Hold person gives you a save every round and there are other ways to counter it .

Basically hold person sucks for round or two, disarm removes all effective offensive capability for the encounter in most cases.

Adding on to this - its not a good idea to compare two features from different classes and see how they compare in a vacuum.

The fighter class and the wizard class have very different features overall and they are "balanced" as a package not on the "one item" vs "one item" basis.

Additionally, There is an issue of setting. Are you playing in a world where the statblocks and the nature of items in the campaign make sense with an easy disarm? Do, NPC statblocks list a bevy of backup weapons? Do you assume it is part of their equipment by default? Surel;y if PCs get disarmed they start carrying backups, right? Why not NPCs? Does your setting feature potent magic weapons, that if easily disarmed and picked up radically change the balance of the encounter? If so, why didn't the enchanter of those wondrous weapons take and extra day or half-day to add "cannot be disarmed" as an enchantment? Why didn't they make an enchanted glove that provides similar gains but cannot be disarmed? That would make a lot more sense, right? Why spend a month to make this neat magic sword if it can be disarmed and picked up and run off with so easy?

The setting and rules should make sense working together. The events seen in play should make sense and be considered in the broader setting context.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases