Baldurs Gate 3 apparently in development (with evidence)

I don't expect it to be released for at least six months.

Six months (November 2019) does seem like a likely target launch window to tie in with Decent and Christmas. But add another six months to that because computer games always slip (or launch bug-ridden).

But that would mean the finance would have to have been sorted out early 2018 at the latest. So, unless someone has Kickstarted a time machine, it (KS) didn't happen.

Six months (November 2019) does seem like a likely target launch window to tie in with Decent and Christmas. But add another six months to that because computer games always slip (or launch bug-ridden).

But that would mean the finance would have to have been sorted out early 2018 at the latest. So, unless someone has Kickstarted a time machine, it (KS) didn't happen.

Plenty of developers have ran kickstarters fund the final stretch of a game that's already been in development for a good while. The original Divinity: Original Sin kickstarter was like that. The game would have been made regardless of the result of the kickstarter, but the $1 million+ Lairian raised on KS let them add a lot more polish to the final product.

Plenty of developers have ran kickstarters fund the final stretch of a game that's already been in development for a good while. The original Divinity: Original Sin kickstarter was like that. The game would have been made regardless of the result of the kickstarter, but the $1 million+ Lairian raised on KS let them add a lot more polish to the final product.

I included that as an original assumption. Even assuming two years preliminary work you would still need over twelve months between finance and launch. Six months out from launch a game would have to be well into crunch, with a lot of the money not just raised, but spent.

It's likely Lairian where awarded the contract shortly after DoS2 was a hit, late in 2017, but with a lot of the preliminary work already done when they took it to WotC. I suspect they got a fair chunk of funding directly from Hasbro (in exchange for a high level of creative control).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I included that as an original assumption. Even assuming two years preliminary work you would still need over twelve months between finance and launch. Six months out from launch a game would have to be well into crunch, with a lot of the money not just raised, but spent.

It's likely Lairian where awarded the contract shortly after DoS2 was a hit, late in 2017, but with a lot of the preliminary work already done when they took it to WotC. I suspect they got a fair chunk of funding directly from Hasbro (in exchange for a high level of creative control).

Hasbro doesn't fund video games, they charge for the IP: every D&D game made in recent times did not receive a dime from WotC, but paid WotC to be D&D.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases