Mythological Figures: Conan the Barbarian (5E)

WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE? Click here to find out! This week's Mythological Figure is one sure to generate a lot of discussion, as we delve into Conan the Barbabarian!

WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE? Click here to find out! This week's Mythological Figure is one sure to generate a lot of discussion, as we delve into Conan the Barbabarian!

H_5UhQt2Cd8fSzfPjKKtKsyxJp-gL0wqnSko9mAGL9qgE0AueBJelcxN1q1z09Oo3Zp-4CUMLMScV7zffGBgf0rWuiHm2pjWHpk0SlnSioTtIoKU-IL0J4U5K6_UXik7Zg3_0RPh

If by some strange chance you are not already familiar with this wildly popular character my first recommendation is to check out any of the Conan the Barbarian films (starring Arnold Schwarzenegger), but there’s also a Conan RPG from Modiphius and a relatively recent Conan video game. I’m not going to summarize his history -- as far as I’m able to tell there are at least 13 different public domain works featuring Conan.

If you read this column for the context this just isn’t your week but for the stat junkies, behold!

Design Notes: Conan here is one of the most hotly contested character builds for fantasy RPGs. It’s opinions, @$$#%^&$, and Conan builds out here: everybody has one. At one point or another I ran across a rationale I thought was pretty good and made a comment in my working document about it. If you are the person who posted this on Facebook or elsewhere on EN World or wherever it is I saw it, thank you:

“First thing - no more than 1 level of Barbarian class. Barbarians from Hyboria aren't D&D Barbarians. You just need it to reflect that he was formidabble even without any armour. So Barbarian 1 and no more. Second thing - Ranger 1. Conan was good tracker and knew how to take care of himself in the wilderness, his favoured enemies should be humans and human-abomination hybrids. Third - Rouge 3 with Thief Roguish Archetype. He spent a lot of time as ordinary thief. Rest should go to Fighter with Champion as Martial Archetype as Conan was more interested in crushing his enemies (and seeing them driven before him) as quickly and effectively as possible.”

For his Challenge Rating I erred on the side of caution and rounded up to 9 because he’s got a ton of features, can leap like a monster, and has incredible mobility (and if you are going to cry fowl about needing a higher Strength or Constitution, drop Mobility and increase one or the other by +2).

Conan the Barbarian
Medium humanoid (human), neutral barbarian 1/ranger 1/rogue (thief) 3/fighter 11 (champion)

Armor Class
14 (hide)
Hit Points 118 (1d12+12d10+3d8+32)
Speed 40 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
18 (+4)​
14 (+2)​
14 (+2)​
12 (+1)​
13 (+1)​
10 (+0)​

Saving Throws
Str +9, Con +7
Skills Athletics +14, Intimidation +5, Sleight of Hand +7, Stealth +12, Survival +6; disguise kit +5, thieves’ tools +5
Senses passive Perception 11
Languages Common, Thieves’ Cant
Challenge 9 (5,000 XP)

Background: Guttersnipe - Urban Knowledge. Conan and his allies (while outside of combat) move at double their normal speed when traveling between two locations in the same city.

Action Surge (1/Short Rest). Once on his turn, Conan can take an additional action on top of his regular action and a possible bonus action.

Cunning Action (1/Turn). Conan can take a bonus action to take the Dash, Disengage, Hide or Use Object action, Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, or to use thieves’ tools to disarm a trap or open a lock.

Favored Enemy. Conan has advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track humans and human-abomination hybrids, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.

Feat: Mobile. Conan can Dash through difficult terrain without requiring additional movement. Whenever he makes an attack against a creature, he doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks from that creature until the end of his turn.

Feat: Power Attack. When Conan makes his first melee weapon attack in a turn, he can choose to take a -5 penalty to his melee weapon attack rolls in exchange for a +10 bonus to melee weapon damage. In addition, Conan can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack after he uses a melee weapon to reduce a creature to 0 hit points or scores a critical hit with it. Conan can only use this feature on his turn.

Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting. When Conan rolls a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack he makes with a melee weapon that he is wielding with two hands, he can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for Conan to gain this benefit.

Indomitable (1/Long Rest). Conan can reroll a saving throw that he fails but must use the new roll.

Natural Explorer: Mountains. When Conan makes an Intelligence or Wisdom check related to the forest, his proficiency bonus (+5) is doubled if he is using a skill that he’s proficient in. While traveling for an hour or more in his favored terrain, Conan gains the following benefits:

• Difficult terrain doesn’t slow his group’s travel.
  • Conan’s group can’t become lost except by magical means.
  • Even when he is engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), Conan remains alert to danger.
  • If Conan is traveling alone, he can move stealthily at a normal pace.
  • When he forages, Conan finds twice as much food as he normally would.
  • While tracking other creatures, Conan also learns their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.

Rage (2/Long Rest). On his turn, Conan can enter a rage as a bonus action. His rage lasts for 1 minute, ending early if he is knocked unconscious or if his turn ends and he hasn’t either attacked a hostile creature since his last turn or taken damage since then. Conan can also end his rage on his turn as a bonus action. While raging, he gains the following benefits.

• Conan has advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
  • When Conan makes a melee weapon attack using Strength, he deals 2 extra damage.
  • Conan has resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

Remarkable Athlete. Conan adds +2 to any Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check he makes that doesn’t already use his proficiency bonus. In addition, when he makes a running long jump, the distance he can cover increases by 4 feet.

Second-Story Work. Climbing does not cost Conan extra movement. When he makes a running jump, the distance he covers increases by 2 feet (with Remarkable Athlete, 6 feet).

Second Wind (1/Short Rest). On his turn, Conan can use a bonus action to regain 1d10+11 hit points.

Sneak Attack (1/Turn). Conan deals an extra 7 (2d6) damage when he hits a target with a weapon attack and has advantage on the attack roll, or when the target is within 5 feet of an ally of Conan that isn’t incapacitated and Conan doesn’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. Conan attacks three times.

Greatsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6+4) slashing damage.

Dagger (4). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4+4) piercing damage.

Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8+2) piercing damage.

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
With his back to the wall he faced the closing ring for a flashing instant, then leaped into the thick of them. He was no defensive fighter; even in the teeth of overwhelming odds he always carried the war to the enemy. Any other man would have already died there, and Conan himself did not hope to survive, but he did ferociously wish to inflict as much damage as he could before he fell. His barbaric soul was ablaze, and the chants of old heroes were singing in his ears.

[...]

Conan put his back against the wall and lifted his ax. He stood like an image of the unconquerable primordial—legs braced far apart, head thrust forward, one hand clutching the wall for support, the other gripping the ax on high, with the great corded muscles standing out in iron ridges, and his features frozen in a death snarl of fury—his eyes blazing terribly through the mist of blood which veiled them. The men faltered—wild, criminal and dissolute though they were, yet they came of a breed men called civilized, with a civilized background; here was the barbarian—the natural killer. They shrank back—the dying tiger could still deal death.

[...]

But the horror that paralyzed and destroyed Ascalante roused in the Cimmerian a frenzied fury akin to madness. With a volcanic wrench of his whole body he plunged backward, heedless of the agony of his torn arm, dragging the monster bodily with him. And his outflung hand struck something his dazed fighting-brain recognized as the hilt of his broken sword. Instinctively he gripped it and struck with all the power of nerve and thew, as a man stabs with a dagger. The broken blade sank deep and Conan's arm was released as the abhorrent mouth gaped as in agony. The king was hurled violently aside, and lifting himself on one hand he saw, as one mazed, the terrible convulsions of the monster from which thick blood was gushing through the great wound his broken blade had torn. And as he watched, its struggles ceased and it lay jerking spasmodically, staring upward with its grisly dead eyes. Conan blinked and shook the blood from his own eyes; it seemed to him that the thing was melting and disintegrating into a slimy unstable mass.

People can read the same words and have different interpretations.

The first example sounds more like a successful intimidation check.
The second example does fit well with a rage like effect.
The third example sounds more like a fear/horror effect causing fight or flight from the creature and Conan of course did fight.

Of course they can have different interpretations that doesn't make another one less valid. Hence why I referred to the quote as evidence and not proof.

Still it's a bit telling that one of your interpretations appears to be the same interpretation.

So "He was no defensive fighter" could just mean a fighter without the Defense fighting style but it also makes a great description of Reckless Attack. Though I certainly see one as a more compelling interpretation than the other.

G

Guest 6801328

People can read the same words and have different interpretations.

The first example sounds more like a successful intimidation check.
The second example does fit well with a rage like effect.
The third example sounds more like a fear/horror effect causing fight or flight from the creature and Conan of course did fight.

Maybe you're assuming a very narrow, specific interpretation of the barbarian's "Rage"?

I think those are all great examples of the rage mechanic. The player (author?) can fluff the mechanics however they want.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Because it's blindingly obvious from looking at it. And because they would have been fools not to. Publishing a "barbarian" that couldn't emulate the iconic barbarian would be like publishing a ranger that couldn't emulate Aragorn... wait, bad example. :p

You have now mentioned the only "How would you built?" character I can argue about more than Conan. Lets keep that can of worms closed. :)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Because it's blindingly obvious from looking at it. And because they would have been fools not to. Publishing a "barbarian" that couldn't emulate the iconic barbarian would be like publishing a ranger that couldn't emulate Aragorn... wait, bad example. :p

I remember the dozens of spells Aragorn cast... I mean... all the two weapon fighting Aragorn did.... I mean maybe not.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I remember the dozens of spells Aragorn cast... I mean... all the two weapon fighting Aragorn did.... I mean maybe not.

The match was never perfect, but the 1E Ranger has some decidedly Aragorn-esque features, such as the ability to use crystal balls. The iconic Ranger shifted more towards Drizzt in the late 1E era, though, and there was a general push to strip some of the old connections to iconic literary sources in 2E and 3E, particularly Lord of the Rings. So the 2E ranger lost crystal balls and got two weapon fighting. (Drizzt used two weapons because 1E drow had that.) Similarly with 3E halflings, who got substantially de-hobbitized. Some of this happened in 2E in settings like Dark Sun.

It's not super surprising. Classes like the Ranger were adds to the original game via Dragon magazine, originally. Many of them were "special requests" based on specific sources. Aspects of the 1E paladin are clearly modeled on Holger Carlson from Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions, which also influenced the D&D troll (regeneration) and the swanmay (Alianora), which finally appeared in Monster Manual 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The match was never perfect, but the 1E Ranger has some decidedly Aragorn-esque features, such as the ability to use crystal balls.
Never perfect LOL

Learning animal languages was something ANYONE in that setting could do the dwarves knew many dialects... just didnt know thrush.

I mean if you want to be fairly loose about it We might call his herbalism = kings magic to make what everyone knew a useless weed into something useful (its symbolic of the ability of Nobles to improve those around them via inspiration)

One might also call his rallying the unforgiven dead a form of that same thing, kings magic invoking oaths to marshal up some troops, neither is magic in the traditional sense

Last edited by a moderator:

Selvarin

Explorer
A spell-less ranger, a druid-ish ranger, and...

Yep, room for them all. Just need to build them properly. Give the ranger a little more combat perks (or at least an extra feat like the fighter), then make the spellcasting ranger an archetype (ala eldritch knight, etc.). Not so eff'n hard. Heck, I could write that up now.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
A spell-less ranger, a druid-ish ranger, and...

Yep, room for them all. Just need to build them properly. Give the ranger a little more combat perks (or at least an extra feat like the fighter), then make the spellcasting ranger an archetype (ala eldritch knight, etc.). Not so eff'n hard. Heck, I could write that up now.

I agree, I really wish the Ranger was separated off from the need to cast annoying spells (Hunter's Mark is a good example of such, much like Hex for the Warlock---irritating "spell tax"). The paladin is a bit better because many spells are used for smites.

Remove ads

Remove ads