Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
They want to make a D&D movie, Hasbro owns the rights to D&D and Warner Bros. Licienced the movie rights as I understand it.

They have passed the 2 million dollar USD mark and are still shooting higher.

It’s not a dnd movie. Hell, they were playing Pathfinder when the events that will be depicted took place.

There’s no need for it to have the dnd logo on it, and the only thing in the game they’d need to reference that I could possibly see being under IP protection of any kind would be Dragonborn.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
So, they surpassed funding for the last stretch goal—so it looks like all 88 minutes of animated Critical Role goodness.

Lord Kakabel

Explorer
There is no animosity between WotC and Critical Role: Matt has been an official WotC DM for Force Gray and even appears in an illustration of Waterdeep: Dragonheist as himself. Sure, this movie won't be D&D or WotC product, but you can bet all the fine folks at WotC are cheering on the Critical Role team!

Could this possibly open the flood gates for future fantasy genre media? Good job CR and fans most importantly. I didnt think I would like watching people play DnD but I was wrong. Glad I found Force Grey when I did.

Henry

Autoexreginated
WotC are not fools: Anything good for Crit Role is good for the D&D brand. I hesitate to say that Matt Mercer and crew are the best thing for D&D since the Satanic Panic.

guachi

Hero
MST3K raised a little more than Veronica Marsh ($5.76M to $5.70M) and about $600,000 outside Kickstarter.

So far that's the most any video/tv/movie Kickstarter has raised. I think MST3K did about $2 million its first day.

EDIT: Am I reading the Kickstarter correctly? Backing it doesn't actually get you a copy of any of the animation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurotowa

Legend
EDIT: Am I reading the Kickstarter correctly? Backing it doesn't actually get you a copy of any of the animation.

Physical disks and the mailing thereof cost a lot and eat up a not insignificant part of a Kickstarter budget. I believe the plan is to do a free digital release for everyone. Backers get the reward swag and the satisfaction of the animated episodes existing at all.

Remove ads

Remove ads