Do you recall a nostalgic D&D picture/illustration?

Mid-80s Dragon cover with a female ranger crouching down and her sidekick a racoon with a backpack. The backpack always killed me. Elmore, I think.

This one? #94. More of a lemur than a raccoon, methinks.

alerelean.jpg

Hussar

Legend
Wow, that's some impressive threadomancy.

But, to answer the OP (very late) - I'd also go with a lot of the Jeff Dee stuff. And Erol Otis. And, to be honest, a lot of the Elmore stuff as well. When he didn't do cheesecake, he did some fantastic stuff. I was a bit of a Dragonlance geek way back when too.

There was also a really cool image way back in the old loose leaf 2e Monster Manuals. It was on one of dividers that came with the set. It showed a group trying to get past a beholder type guardian critter (spectator maybe) by feeding it a big hunk of steak. Very cool image. Can't find it though on Google and I have no idea who did it.

Two things I always miss about that early stuff. One, PC's getting their asses kicked. The monster manual entries and even the DMG and PHB often showed the monsters munching on a PC. That's missing from a lot of the current art. I also miss the whimsy. A lot of that older stuff was pretty silly. There's nothing wrong with silly. We need more silly in the game.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
I have a sneaking suspicion that threadomancy was cast by a spam bot, but, I could be wrong. :D Still a fun topic though.

LOL. I just noticed the year was 2002 -- when I was reading the posts yesterday, the day/dates fit and I somehow parsed 2002 as 2012! [MENTION=813]jmucchiello[/MENTION] nothing like getting a 10-year-old reply, eh?

Mishihari Lord

First Post
It's an old OP but still a relevant topic. For me it's probably the Wormy episode near the end of the run where the Storm Giant cuts loose with lightning against a baddie defending a shrine (?) and brings the whole place down. Dave Trampier was so talented: he could go from humor to truly epic adventure within a page and have both work. I miss his work.

cildarith

Explorer
There was also a really cool image way back in the old loose leaf 2e Monster Manuals. It was on one of dividers that came with the set. It showed a group trying to get past a beholder type guardian critter (spectator maybe) by feeding it a big hunk of steak. Very cool image. Can't find it though on Google and I have no idea who did it.

This one?

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modpages/modscans/fr1.html

Looks like a Keith Parkinson piece, but that is just a guess.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
This.0e_elf2.jpgor, as others have said, just about any Elmore from this period fills me with nostalgia.
This. 0e_elfMelf.jpgFor some reason more than any other of Tim Truman's works, this immediately takes me back to sitting on my bedroom floor, reading through 1e books.
and this. 0e_halflings.jpg As has already been said lots of times, pretty much anything by Jeff Dee but I've always remembered this pic.
And, finally, pretty much anything from Willingham. But this is a lifelong fave.Drow00.jpg

Remove ads