D&D 5E [5e] The Lichway - Old School Dungeon with new school rules.

sithramir

First Post
Interesting dilemma. We're talking about moving back to allow more room to hit the goblins and hobgoblins.

The real problem with 5e is there's no 5' step anymore. So if there are two goblins at the door and I slay one I still can't back out without incurring an attack of opportunity from the other one. If the other one is slain by an ally before the goblins go, that ally can then use movement but i'd still be stuck in the same spot. If both aren't slain or goblins go before the other ally can and fill the void then there's no easy way to move back without incurring an attack of opportunity.

At this lower level (1st for instance) having to take a second attack just to move back is way dangerous.

I actually like this because it shows that you have to incur the attack to try to give more room. Back in 3E we could each use 5' steps to slowly back each round but not so easy here.

I don't know how you guys want to play it. I actually was wondering why there'd ever be a need for attacks of opportunity (it seemed to never happen) but this shows a great example of it happening if we wanted to allow more allies to join in or use range without disadvantage.

Thoughts? I like the idea that if we each slayed a goblin before they can move one of us moves back so more can join but otherwise we're kind of 'stuck' fighting at the doors.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
We're talking about moving back to allow more room to hit the goblins and hobgoblins.

The real problem with 5e is there's no 5' step anymore. So if there are two goblins at the door and I slay one I still can't back out without incurring an attack of opportunity from the other one.

You can disengage (but it will eat your standard action). Still, much safer then "eating" another attack :)

Disengage
If you start the round within 5 feet of an opponent that can see you, you can use this action to move away from him without provoking an opportunity attack.

sithramir

First Post
Can you clarify distances? Are the hobgoblins already in melee or slightly back? Mistral would like to stab with hex but if someone is disengaging he doesn't want to be left standing alone. If they aren't in his adjacent space he could eldritch blast and move back. If too close he will attack but I don't want to be left to absorb 2 attacks if no one else is in melee

Dr Simon

Explorer
I'll try to get a tactical map up, but my art options are more limited than they were. Pretty sure, though, that Ren stands at the front line (and he can defend adjacent allies). Nissa, Ethian and Javier are behind.

Edit: Something like attached map.

Attachments

• Lichway Map 7.jpg
    Lichway Map 7.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Remove ads