We're All Gamers Together: Why Harassment Has To Stop

Another piece talking about the harassment of women in tabletop gaming has surfaced on the internet. At least one of the incidents related in that piece has been substantiated as being true, so I am willing to accept that there is more truth in that article. Whether gamers, or geeks in general, want to admit it or not, there are serious issues within our communities with how people act towards women, people of color, and the LGBTQI. We need to knock that off right now. Obviously, this is an opinion piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another piece talking about the harassment of women in tabletop gaming has surfaced on the internet. At least one of the incidents related in that piece has been substantiated as being true, so I am willing to accept that there is more truth in that article. Whether gamers, or geeks in general, want to admit it or not, there are serious issues within our communities with how people act towards women, people of color, and the LGBTQI. We need to knock that off right now. Obviously, this is an opinion piece.
Just as a warning, for those who might be bothered by certain sorts of content, some of the incidents that were relayed to me, the stories that were told, have jarring, uncomfortable occurrences in them. If mentions of rape and unsolicitated physical contact will bother you, you might want to skip the rest of this article. I know reading the emails and PMs from these women bothered me as they came in.

As much as what these women related bothered me, and obviously bothered them as the targets of the harassment, I felt that the fact that it was so uncomfortable was exactly the reason why this current piece needed to be written. We, as a group, need to start looking the people doing this harassment in the eye and telling them that we don’t think it is okay. We need to stop pushing these accounts into the shadows, under the rugs, and pretending that they do not exist. We need to make our communities into better places for everyone, and not just a bunch of men.

I put out a call over my various social media feeds (which was shared a lot), asking for women to share their experiences of harassment in tabletop gaming with me. Anonymity was offered to those who wanted it, and not surprisingly most respondents asked that their names be kept confidential. The reasons for them wanting to be kept anonymous were one of two. First, they were afraid of further harassment within their communities for calling out the bad behavior. They seen how women who tell men to stop get treated in small, closed communities and, for better or worse, they want to continue with their hobbies without additional harassment. The second reason was a bit scarier. Some of these women are professionals, working in tabletop gaming in a number of different capacities, who fear that publicly coming forward would negatively impact their careers within gaming.

I’ll just say that last one again, with emphasis: they were afraid that coming forward about their harassment, or the harassment that they had witnessed, would negatively impact their careers in tabletop gaming.

Because of these reasons, I will be keeping the identities of everyone who asked anonymous. Everyone who spoke with me identified themselves, I am just not identifying them.

One of the common threads through the experiences shared was rape. Most of these women had had characters raped during convention play, online games, or at events at stores. Sometimes the rapes were matter-of-factly introduced into play, others there was a titillating level of graphic detail to the assaults. One women talked about how a regular attendee at a local convention bragged of having a “rape kit” in his car for the women at the convention, and at one point he yelled at her to “find him women to sleep with.” She also talked about the organizers of the convention having a “men only camping retreat” and when she was on the board of the con the only way that she could attend was “nude and wearing a dog collar.” Another woman talked about the GM of her online game suddenly having her character knocked unconscious, taken away on a ship, and then graphically narrated raping her character. All of this occurred on voice chat while using a popular virtual tabletop site.

Another woman told me that her attempts at organizing a couple of women only games for a VTT online convention was met with such vehemence from male gamers that the games were pulled from the schedule of the convention.

People wonder why more and more people think that anti-harassment policies are needed at conventions. After all, even Gen Con has one:
Gen Con: The Best Four Days in Gaming! is dedicated to providing a harassment-free Event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Convention participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled without refund at the discretion of show management.

And an Ethics policy:

All of the following constitute grounds for expulsion from the convention without refund:
  • Violating any federal, state, or local laws, facility rules or convention policies
  • Failure to comply with the instructions of Gen Con Event Staff or security personnel
  • Using anything in a threatening or destructive manner against person or property
  • Endangering the safety of oneself or others
  • Threatening, stealing, cheating or harassing others
  • Failure to conduct oneself in a mature manner

The creators of the 13th Age RPG have anti-harassment policies for their organized play because “Nobody shows up for a game with the goal of feeling uncomfortable or unsafe, and sorry that they came. But organized play brings together many different types of people with different expectations and approaches to play. An anti-harassment policy sets ground rules that everyone can recognize and follow, resulting in better games and more fun.” In the policy they outline harassment as “Everyone has the right to a space that is safe from any type of harassment: physical, verbal, emotional, or sexual.”

Honestly, considering the experiences that have been related to me, these sorts of policies should be commonplace for conventions and organized play. I have heard that Paizo is currently drafting an anti-harassment policy for their organized play, and Ad Astra Games has one in place already.

These are some of the more overt things that women have to deal with in their tabletop gaming experiences, and doesn’t go into the more “casual” or systemic harassment and sexism that women deal with at conventions, in online play and at game stores. One of the women talked about women being a subclass in society, and it being more so in gaming communities. “It sucks for a female gamer, going into a store and having that reaction.”

Men are openly commenting on women’s body parts in a sexual manner. Sexual content is added to games because “that’s the kind of stuff that women like.” Crude sexual references and jokes are made.

I’m not saying that there is no place for sexual, or adult themes, in gaming. Just the opposite, in fact. In my personal groups I game with grownups, and we play games that can have adult material in them. We have, however, agreed that content like that is okay in advance, and most of the time we agree that players’ agency over their characters should not be railroaded by the story of the game, or the actions of the GM. There is a huge difference between making awkward sexual comments out of the blue, because you are hoping it will interest a woman gamer, and making awkward sexual comments that people expect in their game. This goes doubly so for games in public spaces, like conventions or stores.

And just because it is okay with your wife, girlfriend or the woman in your gaming group at home, that doesn’t mean that it is okay with all women. If it makes someone at the table uncomfortable, or makes them feel like they are being harassed, just don’t do it, or apologize for having done it.

And, of course, none of them are safe from accusations of being a “fake geek girl,” or being in the store to get something for their husband or boyfriend. Apparently the idea that a woman would want to buy her own dice or miniatures or rule books is alien to some gamers.

As Jon Peterson, author of Playing at the World, points out in an online essay, there have always been gender problems in tabletop gaming. But he also points out that women have been interested in tabletop gaming for a long time. But, just because something has “always been that way,” it does not mean that it has to stay that way. Even in the 1970s TSR Games employees were taken to task by fandom, and female designers, to be more respectful of women gamers and to stop using phrases like “ladygamers.” Sadly, these attitudes that were considered to be outdated back then are still being perpetuated now…in some cases by some of the same people.

My first AD&D group, back in 1979, had a woman for the GM, and about half of the group were women. Most of my groups since then have had women involved in them. We need to be better, as a community, about these things. We need to speak out when we see women being harassed, online or in person, and we need to tell the people who think that doing this is okay that it isn’t. We need to be active in making the change that creates better communities where we don’t have to worry about our friends being harassed because of their gender, or their sexual preferences, or their ethnicity. We have to convince conventions and organized play societies that having anti-harassment policies is a good thing, and enforcing them so that everyone feels welcomed and accepted is a better thing.

Guys, we have to remember that this isn’t about us. This isn’t about our perceptions of what is happening at conventions, during organized play events and in online games. We sit back, listen and ask what we need to do, rather than try to make the discussion about how it “isn’t all men.” We already know that. We need to not take the focus away from what needs to be done.

There are never going to be completely safe spaces, in gaming or outside of it. However, we can make better places where no one has to worry about their body parts being part of the table talk, or their characters being sexually violated. It is the 21st century, and we should be better about this than we are. We need to stop being quiet, stop facilitating harassment, and we need to start making better spaces for ourselves and our fellow gamers. A group, like nerds, that talk so much about being harassed in their youth for being different should really be more sensitive about harassing others. We can, as a group, be better about this, and we need to do it.

Fergurg

Explorer
Again: This might be a kooky idea, but maybe we could get back to talking more about what is actually happening to women, and less about hypotheticals about what might happen to men or their hurt feels.

And again: I was talking about how to solve the problem without creating another problem.

And frankly, as a man, I have a vested interest in not having a situation where a woman can have me thrown out of a convention because she doesn't like a political stance I take.

Let's start with a simple one. "Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina. No exceptions." Should I be thrown out of a convention for saying that? Because under a Zero Tolerance policy, all that a transsexal has to do is say that I made him/her/whatever uncomfortable. And if so, why shouldn't I be able to have that person kicked out for expecting me to adhere to gnosticism?

Again: This might be a kooky idea, but maybe we could get back to talking more about what is actually happening to women, and less about hypotheticals about what might happen to men or their hurt feels.

Yes first order we need to drive the rape and physical assault down from 8%...that number needs to be less then 1%. gen com 50 is around the corner what can we do to make it a no rape weekend?

Edit maybe we should crowd fund extra security and have voulanteers to walk people home after dark... Maybe put alert whistles in every bag with your stuff

Taneras

First Post
I was talking about how to solve the problem without creating another problem.

And frankly, as a man, I have a vested interest in not having a situation where a woman can have me thrown out of a convention because she doesn't like a political stance I take.

Let's start with a simple one. "Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina. No exceptions." Should I be thrown out of a convention for saying that? Because under a Zero Tolerance policy, all that a transsexal has to do is say that I made him/her/whatever uncomfortable. And if so, why shouldn't I be able to have that person kicked out for expecting me to adhere to gnosticism?

It's probably best to keep highly controversial political topics out of an event that has nothing to do with it. I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with you, but that's just not the time or the place.

No, you shouldn't be kicked out unless you kept trying to create a scene by not dropping a topic not related in the least to table top gaming.

Obryn

Hero
I meant exactly what I said. While the whole GamerGate thing was going on there was a large portion of the community that was concerned about ethics and preached against harassment or even the mention of certain other individuals as it wasn't tied to ethics. I made the estimation of "large" judging by the amount of videos and articles that said as much, and the content of the comments below said videos and articles.

Obviously, there was a lot of harassment. But there was a lot of other stuff as well.
Oh then no, that's exactly what I thought you said.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Yeah, because that is how anti-harassment policies work. Once again, this isn't about men. I understand that you aren't used to topics not being about you, but this conversation has nothing to do with hypothetical situations about what might happen to a man. The fact that posters keep dragging it back to "what about my feels​" instead of the facts at hand just demonstrates the unreality of this entire situation.

Elf Witch

First Post
A lot of people view verbal harassment as, "Anything I don't want to hear." You see women reporting harassment because a man told another man a ribald joke and she overheard it. I wouldn't want anyone kicked out of a con over a verbal harassment claim. At least not without witnesses to the behavior that will say that the person wouldn't leave her alone when asked and kept it up. Short of that, just have the con people just tell them to stay away from each other or they will have to leave.

I don't know if I would agree that a lot of people view it that way I do think a lot of millennials do. And I would cheerfully like to smack their parents for raising them that way. The way the cons I know about define verbal harassment is this way making racist, sexist, sexual, or bullying comments directed at a fellow con goer. IE calling a fat person a whale, or asking a someone to come rub your dick. These are not comments made as joke to friends but usually to strangers or someone you don't like. Being in a group like a panel, gaming table the Hugos and making comments that other people find offensive and when asked to stop you don't.

I have children. Two of them are reaching an age that they want to play tabletop games. I'm preparing to start them with a few games of Monte Cook's No Thank You Evil, but my intention has been to eventually transisition to other games like D&D.

This thread, and related threads, has me seriously reconsidering how I will do this. I want my kids to trust this hobby, but what I'm seeing says they can't.

That's what I want to change, but I'm seeing folks basically saying they refuse to change because politics. They don't want gaming to be accessible because they like saying crass things with the rest of the boys club, they like being able to say whatever regardless.

As a parent I can understand your fear. I had my worries about allowing my son to game and this was back when there were few anti harassment policies in effect and harassment was something we were just supposed to take. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that there are jerks every where and in gaming I truly believe that the good guys out number the jerks.

Does anyone know if the rate of reported harassment is higher or lower among the gaming community as compared to the population at large?

If females are allowed to demand and get all female games, for what ever reason, at conventions, then it is only fair that males be allowed the same privilege, for whatever reason. Maybe they just want to avoid getting involved in a harassment claim, even as a witness.

I think it is a sad commentary on today's society that the 'Ethics Policy' as presented in the original post is even necessary. Every point seems covered by existing laws and civil tort.

I can't believe that this has to be explained over an over again. In gaming men out number women by a large majority. Which means that a man will have no trouble finding an all male game. Look at any picture for a gaming con and you will see tables filled with men. The reason some want to run an all female game is to give women not only a chance to play in game where they feel safe or know what it is like to play just with their gender something men get to easily experience if they choose.

True, but lets say some girls wanted to join and the guys wanted the table to remain all dudes? Sure, there are still "other all dude tables", so what's 1 less one, right? But to those who are part of that specific table, what good do those "other all dude tables" do for them who are now not at an all dudes table? There's even a great chance that some of the other "all dude tables" would love to have female input at their table.

I'm shocked to see why people don't see applying different standards to each gender isn't a problem.

I agree, but we're not talking about the need to treat every single thing in this world as if its equal, we're talking about genders specifically. Why shouldn't genders be treated the same?

This will most likely be my last response to you on this because you seem to refuse to understand what I and other people are saying. Say the entire group of men at the con want a male only tables and there are only three females how are they supposed to find a table to play at? And again what can't you grasp about the fact that since you are in the majority you are not going to have a any issue finding a male only table to play at.

This kind of reminds me of a whine I experienced on another forum where the woman asked for a private forum just for us. We were granted it and many men whined about so they were given a male only space to post. Five years later we women still post in ours the male only forum is gone because none of the men used because they didn't see the need they just posted in the other forums.

But a0tolerance 1 compliant with no proof removal of my $1,000 and only vacation because some one took offense at something stupid I said is wrong...

If I say " rape the horses and kill the woman...eat did I get that backwards" as a joke and the woman at the table behind me complains I should be force to apologize for being a jerk...not removed from gen con.

Here is the thing say you make a joke that bothers someone and they tell you that and you apologize then that is the end of it. But if you don't stop and keeping doing it that is when it becomes harassment.

Ruibbish, if everyone was treated equally what would be the need for a female only table? It wouldn't matter what gender you are, and it wouldn't matter what gender those are who are around you. Everyone would be treated the same. I actually have to explain this?

Because we are not treat equally. We can't be if we are out numbered by men. My gaming groups are made up of great guys they wanted to have a males only game as a side thing on a different night from our regular game. They explained to us gals there were two of us that they had no issue with us but they wanted a night to be just guys no women to let lose and do and say whatever men do when women are not around. We both understood it and were not offended I would love to play in all women's game because I think the dynamics would be different and it would make a great gals's night out.

So I understand why people want to play in a game with their own gender , race or people of the same sexual orientation. And if women were equal in numbers to men at gaming cons then I would have no issue with some of the games being men only. But as I and others and you know this too we are not even close to having equal numbers. So until we do it should not be an issue if a few games out of 100 be female only.

Forget jokes for a moment... Of I'm walking my dog and see and old black man walking and I smile and not saying "howdy" is that any diffrent then if he was a beutful woman? Am I sexiest for saying hello to one when in the same situation I would say and do the same to the other?

I ask because I normally do to everyone BUT there is a feminist video claiming men are pigs and half the things they say are generic good mornings

A joke can hurt someone's feelings of it does apologize and move on. But don't kick someone out of there vacacrion be use you took offense where non was meant...and for God sale realize words are not the same as violence.

As a women I will explain this to you. A lot depends on how it is said, saying hi in a friendly non sexual way is one thing but often it is said in a leering way. Then you add to that the guys who chase you down if you don't say hi back and get in your face about it. I am overweight and middle aged so I don't get it much anymore but last year I was walking into Barnes and Noble and this guy said Hi how are you. I thought he was talking to the three young girls walking by him. So I ignored it. He chased me down screaming at me asking me if I was deaf and why was I being rude. I handled it by looking at him an signing that I was deaf and he was so embarrassed he backed of.

That is why many women hate any strange guy talking to them because if they attractive they get cat called at so much and some of it is pretty rude.

I am not saying don't be nice but understand why some women react and if they ignore you just keep going.

This might be a kooky idea, but maybe we could get back to talking more about what is actually happening to women, and less about hypotheticals about what might happen to men or their hurt feels.

This tactic being deployed here of denial and all the hypothetical what ifs is a very common tactic used to derail and distract from the subject. I see it all the time when discussing rape, domestic abuse, welfare, race issues.

Yeah, because that is how anti-harassment policies work. Once again, this isn't about men. I understand that you aren't used to topics not being about you, but this conversation has nothing to do with hypothetical situations about what might happen to a man. The fact that posters keep dragging it back to "what about my feels​" instead of the facts at hand just demonstrates the unreality of this entire situation.
Are you saying that everyone shouldn't be safe and have fun?

Again forget feels on both sides, words are the least of my concern if 8% of attendees are PHYSICAL ASSUALTED we need to stop that

Agreed, lets leave gender out of this and focus on bad behavior.

That would be great if this were a genderless problem, but it isn't. It is about women being harassed. If the topic were "hey, men and women are getting harassed and threatened with rape in tabletop gaming then we could leave gender out the the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads