D&D 5E Come out and put yourself on the Gygax scale!

OB1

Jedi Master
Disclaimer: There is no right or wrong answer to this poll, nor should anyone be disparaged for wherever they identify on it. Diversity is awesome! Understanding each other is important to productive dialogue! There is plenty of room in the hobby for all!

G0 – I am 100% engaged with the story, game mechanics only get in the way of that
G1 – I’m here for the story; I don’t care about mechanics as long as they don’t infringe on story
G2 – I’m here for the story, but good mechanics are a big part of my enjoyment as well
G3 – Story and Mechanics are equally important to my enjoyment
G4 – I’m here for the mechanics, but good story is a big part of my enjoyment as well
G5 – I’m here for the mechanics; I don’t care about story as long as it doesn’t infringe on the mechanics
G6 – I’m 100% engaged with the game mechanics, story only gets in the way of that

For the record, I'm a solid G2 myself and DM for a G2, G3, G4 and a G5.

Wulffolk

Explorer
I would rate myself as a G2 if I am being honest

I would prefer to be at G1 or G0, but it would be a lie to say that game mechanics don't bother me. :erm:

I spend more time considering house rules and adjusting the game mechanics than I actually get to spend playing, unfortunately.

One other aspect, I could enjoy playing in, or DMing for, a group that includes G0-G4, but I would not have fun playing with G5-G6 players. Those are also the types of players that typically annoy me in a forum setting like this.

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
G4, really. Had a good overall 5e campaign that just ended but I'm dropping 5e and going to run WHFRP 2e instead since I think the mechanics are more appealing. To me its a game first and foremost that generates stories, kind of after the fact. But a fun mechanical game play situation is what I'm after even if its not the most sensible in terms of narrative.

pogre

Legend
G3 or G4 - mechanics are pretty important to me, but I play in a 5e campaign that is certainly story first and I am enjoying that.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I guess G3. Mechanics are what helps facilitate the story. But not sure how you came up with that scale. Is the higher # supposed to be more Gygax? Because that doesn't really match what his actual priorities were.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
For D&D 5e, G1. The DM decides when the mechanics come into play, if at all. So that seems like the right answer for me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases