D&D Movie/TV New D&D Movie: July 23rd 2021

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.
It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

We already know that the movie will be produced by the Lego Movie's Roy Lee, that it will be directed by Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). Originally scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), it's now being written by Joe Manganelio, might be Dragonlance and then again might feature the Yawning Portal, and will adopt a Guardians of the Galaxy tone. Oh, and that we should take everything I just said with a pinch of salt as the movie appears have jumped from WB to Paramount at some point in the process!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Now we have unbelievable epic tales like the first avengers movie, the captain America trilogy, and a Thor: Ragnarok that was just a hell of a lot of fun to watch. All this 10 year old me would have found impossible to believe. It can be done - but it has to be done by someone with passion for it, the talent for a good screenplay, and just enough talent to make the budget cover it. None of these were available with the first D&D movie. The passion, maybe, but the support and the writing chops, no.

Agreed. But there are as you note a number of factors that have to align just so. The margin for error is quite small!

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Did you serious compare Michael Bay Movies to cocaine?

Yes, I did... In a hyperbole-tastic manner to point out that the argumentum ad populum argument will not the fact that some do not like his movies.

I still find the Michael Bay hate silly, he makes fun movies, they aren't brilliant movies, but fun and that is enough.

See, that's called an opinion. You think his movies are fun. Then, there are those of us who think his movies suck (and are typically insipid) and would not want him near an intellectual property that they like. You may find that "silly", but it's natural for those that think that Michael Bay makes bad movies to not want him to be anywhere near a D&D movie. Thankfully, he isn't.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
All the varied responses leads me to ask: would people rather have a D&D movie that is true to the subject matter and representative of the fun we know it is, or would they rather have a successful movie that turns off its fan base? Which would be better for expanding the brand in the long run? Because we might be forced to choose. I’d like to think that we’re not, because all these things we’re saying now about how difficult it is to make a good D&D or fantasy movie, is the EXACT kind of thing that people used to say 30 and 40 years ago about superhero movies. we had that schlocky crap like the spider-man TV movies, the Captain America movies where Steve Rogers was a surfer dude who rode around on a motor cycle, and the brightest hope was Lou Ferrigno as the Incredible Hulk (with Thor as a guest one-shot in a feeble attempt at a back-door pilot.

Now we have unbelievable epic tales like the first avengers movie, the captain America trilogy, and a Thor: Ragnarok that was just a hell of a lot of fun to watch. All this 10 year old me would have found impossible to believe. It can be done - but it has to be done by someone with passion for it, the talent for a good screenplay, and just enough talent to make the budget cover it. None of these were available with the first D&D movie. The passion, maybe, but the support and the writing chops, no.

So much this!

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I was going to be done, but you two are so easy to rile up. Now it's kinda getting to be fun how upset you are getting. Of course almost everything you attribute to me is wrong, and simple based upon your ignorance, but that's ok, it's ENWorld after all, intelligence not required.

How droll.

All the varied responses leads me to ask: would people rather have a D&D movie that is true to the subject matter and representative of the fun we know it is, or would they rather have a successful movie that turns off its fan base? Which would be better for expanding the brand in the long run?
They aren't mutually exclusive, but in terms of the brand's reputation, we need a good movie first and foremost. What a 'good' movie might entail may vary with each member of the audience, but as has been highlighted earlier the model, for me, lies somewhere in between Guardians of the Galaxy and The Hobbit. It shouldn't need the baggage of previous sources, but it should still be recognisably D&D (without being noticeably self aware).

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Every character changes the World to some degree, that is what heroes do, their actions has to have some significance to the World at large, otherwise they are not being very heroic.
One idea is that someone thinks he has built a time machine. Ever see the movie Timeline?
https://youtu.be/d83NnJvqTz4
An inventor builds what he thinks is a Time Machine, the way it works is that it expands naturally occurring wormholes from the quantum foam, it digitizes characters within the chamber, molecularly transporting them through a wormhole and then expands them on the other end. The inventor did this once before and sent a traveler back in time, and brought him back safely, the problem is a traveler can only use this machine so many times before the copying errors produce deadly effects, as multiple parallel universes are involved, one of the parallel universes happens to contain the World of the Forgotten Realms, only the inventor does not know this. He hires the PCs to go back in time and investigate 14th century Europe, but instead sends them to the Forgotten Realms, lets say its Cormyr for instance, and the PCs explore around looking for various landmarks in 14th century England, it appears they have landed outside their landing zone, but they find some knights in shining armor. How long do you think it would take them to realize they are not in 14th century England?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just had a brainwave... (if you're listening Hasbro?! ;) )!

If they're looking for a way to give off a D&D feel to a series of movies then I think an excellent way to do that would be to enlist a core group of actors and have them recurrently star in the films. So far so normal... Here's the fun part: dramatically change the theme of each new movie and have the actors play different roles in each one.

So Movie #1: Forgotten Realms based (d'uh)
Movie #2: Ravenloft based (and have one of the heroes in the FR movie play a villain in this one?)
Movie #3: Eberron based (and switch up the roles again)

IMHO it would really reinforce the "you get to play lots of different roles in the worlds of D&D" vibe that I think is important.

And it's super fun to see actors doing new things - it would keep the franchise fresh and yet familiar (and quite distinct from the other ongoing epic series) - and also be a great way to put in witty references to the prior movies.

That’s a little too American Horror Story for safety. I like AHS, but that might be interpreted as being derivative, especially by professional critics.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Wow. The last thing I want is "person from the real world transported to Forgotten Realms (or wherever)" for my D&D movie. That might actually keep me from watching it.

It might be OK, but, as noted, that kind of lead-in has been done in the D&D Cartoon, as well as the Jumanji and Tron movies to some extent. Aaaaand I know that Joel Rosenberg’s Guardians of the Flame was in development as a TV series by the people behind GoT.

So that might be kinda tired if/when the next D&D movie tried it.

Remove ads

Remove ads