What kaiju was the rust monster based off of?

Unwise

Adventurer
I had the toy he is talking about, it looks exactly like the rust monster in the sketch. It was blue-grey and was a in box with a bunch of far more dinosaur looking creatures. I remember because I spent ages trying to find what type of dinosaur it was and was annoyed that they put a 'fake' one in my box of dinosaur toys. Mine did not look like the lobster kaigu listed above, it was far more like the sketch. Like a badly moulded "dinosaur with the mace for tail". I wonder if that box of toys is still at my parents place...

ccs

41st lv DM
These are the toys in question:
Prehistoric creatures.png

They've been made in many many colors, plastic qualities, & under assorted logos. My own were from the mid-70s.
I don't think they're kaiju knockoffs, just generic toys.

Cut off in my picture is a dino-creature sitting on its haunches with a curved horn
on its nose (& sometimes produced with two heads) and a dog like thing (that never did stand well) with spines on its back.

Last edited:

Unwise

Adventurer
Ah well done @ccs ! I was just thinking to myself "gee I hope not finding this little plastic toy does not become an itch in my brain that leads me to spend way too long googling it". Then I saw your post, you saved me!

<edit> It is a weird world we live in, that people presumably on the other side of the planet from each other still remember the same little plastic crappy toy from their childhoods. Weirder still is the fact that the internet has pictures of that and we can search for it and find it. Even stranger is that a bunch of grown adults are spending time searching for and reminiscing over something so obscure :)

Last edited:

I expect they stem from the imagination of an ancient Taiwanese gentleman (with a copy of the Necronomicon in his attic).

Or a time traveller sent back to the 1970s to ensure D&D was invented.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases