Survivor Appendix E (5e) Authors- Ursula K. LeGWINS!

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 26
Anthony, Piers 14
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 19
Bulfinch, Thomas 21
Cook, Glen 28
Froud, Brian & Alan Lee 21
Hickman, Tracy & Margaret Weis 11
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan. Robert 19
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 24
Lynch, Scott 21
Martin, George R.R. 2
McKillip, Patricia 21
Mieville, China 18
Peake, Mervyn 20
Pratchett, Terry 24
Rothfuss, Patrick 14
Sanderson, Brandon 25
Smith, Clark Ashton 21
Tolstoy, Nikolai 15
Wolfe, Gene 21

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 26
Anthony, Piers 14
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 19
Bulfinch, Thomas 21
Cook, Glen 28
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan. Robert 19 + 1 = 20 I give up making this color work on the phone
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 24
Lynch, Scott 21
Martin, George R.R. 0 and he is out: seeing Jordan Outlast Martin was my only petty goal here, kinda shocked it went so fast...
McKillip, Patricia 21
Mieville, China 18
Peake, Mervyn 20
Pratchett, Terry 24
Rothfuss, Patrick 14
Sanderson, Brandon 25
Smith, Clark Ashton 21
Tolstoy, Nikolai 15
Wolfe, Gene 21

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 26
Anthony, Piers 14
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 17
Bulfinch, Thomas 21
Cook, Glen 28
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 20
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 24
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 21
Mieville, China 18
Peake, Mervyn 20
Pratchett, Terry 24
Rothfuss, Patrick 14
Sanderson, Brandon 25
Smith, Clark Ashton 21
Tolstoy, Nikolai 15
Wolfe, Gene 21

Just too late to save GRR Martin for however brief a time...I actually like both his writing and his gritty kill-'em-all style. But yeah, the wait for those last two books has long since become tedious...

chrisrtld

Adventurer
Ahmed, Saladin 18
Alexander, Lloyd 26
Anthony, Piers 14
Augusta, Lady Gregory 20
Bear, Elizabeth 20
Brooks, Terry 18
Bulfinch, Thomas 21
Cook, Glen 28
Hodgson, William Hope 18
Jemisin, N.K. 21
Jordan, Robert 20
Kay, Guy Gavriel 21
LeGuin, Ursula 24
Lynch, Scott 22
McKillip, Patricia 21
Mieville, China 18
Peake, Mervyn 20
Pratchett, Terry 24
Rothfuss, Patrick 14
Sanderson, Brandon 25
Smith, Clark Ashton 21
Tolstoy, Nikolai 13
Wolfe, Gene 21

Yeah I wasn't really trying to tie them together, but I should have said he got sober and his writing dropped off, then got in the accident and it went to crap. Then again its hard to keep up with the pace he had in the 70's and 80's with horror classic after classic. The last two books of his I read, of course both revolve around ex addicts, and he put himself into Dark Tower like he was trying to deal with why he got hit. He claims he got sober right before Needful Things which fits when I think he started to go downhill a bit. Then again as I said, its hard to match the mastery of early King so I'm probably being too hard on him.

In any event I'm throwing him over the top rope if I get the chance.

My biggest complaint with King is that the beginnings of his novels are so fantastic that I am majorly disillusioned by his endings. It just seems that he has no idea how to finish the story. Hence, my favorite King works are his short stories (which are well-crafted and in many cases brilliant) and the books he writes with a co-author. Co-authored novels require a careful plotting of beginning through the END before you start actually writing.

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
My biggest complaint with King is that the beginnings of his novels are so fantastic that I am majorly disillusioned by his endings. It just seems that he has no idea how to finish the story. Hence, my favorite King works are his short stories (which are well-crafted and in many cases brilliant) and the books he writes with a co-author. Co-authored novels require a careful plotting of beginning through the END before you start actually start writing.

I loved most of his classic endings where the protagonist just ends up getting totally screwed in the process of "winning". My issues were bloat along with poor characters and plots.

OB1

Jedi Master
Oh Discordia! The beams have been broken and the tower falls!

To me, what’s interesting about King is that he lets his characters dictate the story, for good or for ill. That does lead to some unsatisfying endings (and some terrible ones) but the endings always make sense from a character standpoint.

I think the main issue GRRM is having right now is that his characters are fighting with his plot, and he can’t figure out how to make it work. He’s terrified that the end will be received poorly, so he’s given up.

After waiting 25 years for it, I HATED the ending of The Dark Tower when I first read it, but now find it to be the near perfect conclusion to the series (same thing happened with LOST), largely because I feel I completely understand Roland and the choices he makes throughout the story.

It IS the journey, not the destination, things don’t always go as planned and that’s why I find King such an amazing influence for D&D.

At any rate, in my mind, the final score for his thread will always be

King, Stephen - 1,999

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
High name recognition is the kiss of death in these contests. The more name recognition something has, the more fans it will have, obviously. But unfortunately, for every fan there are ten other people in the room who are sick and tired of listening to those fans.

Five people in a Candy Survivor thread said:
"I've never heard of Raspberry Zingers or Zots, but I've heard of Marshmallows. Marshmallows are amazing!"
Fifty other people in that same thread said:
"Marshmallows are totally overrated, they are outdated, and they stole all their ideas from nougat. Also they have gelatin in them, which means they murder ponies to make them. Downvote them immediately!"

(Full disclosure: I'm one of the fifty who would downvote marshmallows.)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases