D&D 5E Riddles and Puzzles in Gaming and Dungeons and Dragons in particular.

Oofta

Legend
Great - so you've got some stuff to buff your die rolls. But - what die roll is going to make your deductions for you?

I know that the dents on the cane are from a dog, and specifically what kind of dog. I "remember" that Joe had that kind of dog and that he smoked a specific type of cigar that I can get a whiff of using my superior perception. The pieces are more clearly laid out for me and I should have more hints and clues than most other PCs or at least I should be the one responsible for getting those hints and clues.

Obviously we can never build a game that's going to turn your average Joe into a world class detective. I just think we could come close.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I know that the dents on the cane are from a dog, and specifically what kind of dog. I "remember" that Joe had that kind of dog and that he smoked a specific type of cigar that I can get a whiff of using my superior perception. The pieces are more clearly laid out for me and I should have more hints and clues than most other PCs or at least I should be the one responsible for getting those hints and clues.

Uh huh. Now go back and read that paragraph of mine you quoted again. Consider this the GM reminding you about a hint or clue.

Oofta

Legend
Uh huh. Now go back and read that paragraph of mine you quoted again. Consider this the GM reminding you about a hint or clue.

I don't follow. A Sherlock character should notice many things no ordinary person would. They have many more of the pieces of the puzzle than most. The DM should be allowing these kind of observations based on quite high DCs - in the 20+ range. In addition because they have a photographic memory for all events that occurred in the past month, the DM should remind them of forgotten clues.

A lot of this is dependent on the DM of course but if someone invested this much into being the worlds greatest detective it should be rewarded just as much as the person that specialized in a fighting style.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I do like puzzles and traps, if they have a purpose. I hate traps and puzzles that are put into a game just for the sake of having them. Typically, if I have a riddle or puzzle or something then I prefer there to be alternate ways to figure it out. Perhaps they find an old journal that provides a hint to solving it. I also might include ability or skill checks that players can make for hints. Typically, I don't care if it is the intelligent wizard that solves the riddle or the stupid barbarian that solves it I figure that even the less intelligent can have a burst of genius once in a while.

I had a DM add in a sudoku-like puzzle in a mansion. The PCs had to put gems in of a specific type. The PCs had to find the gems in the mansion before they could add them. It wasn't an especially difficult puzzle, but when a given gem had to be used next and the PCs didn't have that particular type of gem, they had to go searching. So, it wasn't just an individual puzzle, it was also an exploration (and some combat).

I think that when puzzles and riddles have external clues or tasks involved, and can be solved by the entire group, then it can be much better.

I also had a DM who had a puzzle that nobody in the universe except for him could solve. It was insanely obscure. That was total nonsense, but he somehow expected people to solve it.

I'm planning something similar to this, a dwarven rune lock. The players are going to have to hunt around for the runs in the ruins of a dwarven fortress and then figure out the order to put them in. Though admittedly, the order will probably be handwaved away as "you eventually puzzle out the order of the runes and the lock opens". The real mission will be finding the runes for the lock which will send the PCs out to explore the ruins.

Nebulous

Legend
I disagree completely with that. Just the opposite in fact, you trying your best to solve a puzzle or thinking or speaking on behalf of your character without the roll of a die, is truly roleplaying. You are being your character, not just consulting a piece of paper looking for a stat. You are finally playing an RPG.

I do find this a pretty big flaw of D&D, too often it just comes down to everyone rolling a die and hoping for a 19 or 20 to solve whatever the hell is in front of them, whether a puzzle, trap, or history check.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases