WotC Baldur's Gate III Announced; Powered by D&D 5E

The developers of the Divinity: Original Sin series, Laria Studios, officially announced Baldur’s Gate III.
The new game will use the D&D 5th Edition rules as the backbone for their system and the storyline will be set directly after the events in the upcoming adventure Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. The game will be released on PC and the new Google Stadia video game streaming service. The announcement came with a teaser trailer below. More information is expected at the video game and electronics conference E3 next week.

The game isn't quite available for pre-order, but you can add it to your wishlist on Steam. The Steam listing also gives some idea of the features and gameplay options, as it lists Single Player, Multi-Player, Online Multiplayer, Local Multiplayer, Co-Op, Online Co-Op, Local Co-Op, Shared/Split Screen, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer.

The announcement follows a tease last week with an image of the stylized "III" which left the title of the game as part of the filename.

Warning: The trailer features some gruesome imagery which may not be suitable for all audiences and is definitely NSFW.

[video=youtube;OcP0WdH7rTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs[/video]​

Last edited by a moderator:

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

gyor

Legend
I don't think all the studios are working on ONE game though. There's a semi RTS with D:OS 2 characters coming later this year called Fallen Heroes. And obviously, they are probably working on a D:OS3 as well.

If BG3 is coming this year, it will be a D:OS2 DnD 5E skin in my opinion, unless they are working from the ground up for this game (that means it's been years in development without any leaks). Who knows :)

That not the size of Larian Studios, that is the size of the BG3 Staff according to Larian Studios.

It's been in development for 2 years now. The only leak was Brian Fargo who suggest BG was being made, but not by whom.

I think a thread compiling everything known from articles and interviews would be helpful for people.

There will some Larian Systems in the game in addition to the D&D 5e systems, like environmental interaction/story-telling.

I think DD: OS2 had a little over half the Devs that BG3 will have roughly. Like 170 roughly not including playtesters.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
CRPG are more difficult than a JRPG (generally). I had some difficulties with the difficult start of D:OS1 myself (I was trying to min/maxing too much) but the second is way better start if you want to try it. Also, maybe those kind of games weren't for you, that's totally ok. As far as I liked CRPG back in the days, I don't have enough free time anymore to try a battle for 3-4 times.
One's tastes change over time too. Case in point, I loved JRPGs, CRPGs, and MMORPGs growing up. I still think they're some of the best games I've ever played. But these days, I'd rather play something faster-paced, like an action, adventure, or platforming game. It's not necessarily because I have less time either. I just have less patience with the slower elements of RPG games (inventory management, travel time, getting lost, etc.).

Retreater

Legend
One's tastes change over time too. Case in point, I loved JRPGs, CRPGs, and MMORPGs growing up. I still think they're some of the best games I've ever played. But these days, I'd rather play something faster-paced, like an action, adventure, or platforming game. It's not necessarily because I have less time either. I just have less patience with the slower elements of RPG games (inventory management, travel time, getting lost, etc.).

Yeah. I think a big factor for me is having limited free time to play. So by the time I'm able to play a "long session" and actually load the game, I've forgotten what I'm supposed to be doing. So more times than not, I just load up NHL or Mario.

Mercador

Adventurer
Same but I still have less free time to play. Actually, the more older I get, the more I like to talk about them than playing them. Old man yelling at the clouds I guess :)

CapnZapp

Legend
I see various speculation. What I don't understand is why it isn't obvious to more than me that of course every PHB option will be included.

There is no reason this game will follow the world of AD&D Baldur's Gate... It will be an updated 5E Baldur's Gate world.

Expect Warlocks and Dragonborn and what not as the new canon.

Mercador

Adventurer
That not the size of Larian Studios, that is the size of the BG3 Staff according to Larian Studios.

It's been in development for 2 years now. The only leak was Brian Fargo who suggest BG was being made, but not by whom.

I think a thread compiling everything known from articles and interviews would be helpful for people.

There will some Larian Systems in the game in addition to the D&D 5e systems, like environmental interaction/story-telling.

I think DD: OS2 had a little over half the Devs that BG3 will have roughly. Like 170 roughly not including playtesters.

Thanks mate. Though, I wouldn't compare BG1/2 teams with current team size. Games are really different thing now. Even if it's a team twenty times bigger, the game won't be twenty times bigger alas ;) I don't know for Larian but for games like Call of Duty, half the budget goes to marketing alone.

gyor

Legend
I see various speculation. What I don't understand is why it isn't obvious to more than me that of course every PHB option will be included.

There is no reason this game will follow the world of AD&D Baldur's Gate... It will be an updated 5E Baldur's Gate world.

Expect Warlocks and Dragonborn and what not as the new canon.

I'm been saying the PHB and more will be in this game. And Warlocks have been canon since 3.5e and the current form of Dragonborn since 4e (3.5e had a very different sort of Dragonborn).

I see the PHB opinions outside of a few hard to implement spells will be in this game at minium, but I think almost everything Sub/race, Sub/Class, Background, FR Deities, Spells, Feats, race variants, will be in.

gyor

Legend
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Baldur's_Gate

Baldur's Gate changed a lot thanks to refugees during the Spellplague and possibly the Sundering. It gained 9 more districts in the Outer City, the Wyrm Crossing Bridge has buildings along the side of it, under the Upper City is Undercellar a huge underground feast hall (basically an unofficial district). The new districts include Little Calimshan and Twin Songs.

I'm curious if this game will have Romance options and Witcher Style Nudity/Sex scenes.

Normally I'd guess no, this is D&D, but there has been nudity in one D&D movie, and after seeing the body horror of the trailer, it appears they wish to make a
more adult D&D game. I hope it does.

Also wonder what Factions, if any will be in this game, if any.

Will it use Renown and if so how?

How far afield from Baldur's Gate will we be able to go?

Will we be able to fly Spelljammers?

Aside from Mindflayers and associated monsters, what enemies/monsters will be in the game.

How will rituals work in game? (Guess instead of taking an actual 10 minutes of actual world time, it will either just be a minute or even just have an out of combat requirement).

Will we be able to visit some what nearby Waterdeep and Undermountain?

gyor

Legend
Areas I hope will be in the game, all 19 districts of Baldur's Gate, plus Undercellar. Beregost, Eltguard the nearby Paladin/Cleric nation, Najara the Scaly Folk nation, Warlock's Crypt, Cloak Wood, Troll Claws, Wood of Sharp Teeth, the Underdark, Shadowfell, Feywild, Nautaliod.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases