What are your favourite single game mechanics?

I totally agree. As much as it’s super-abstract, I still prefer it to systems that have you take increasing penalties as you get injured. It’s completely elegant in its simplicity.

I’ll add Shadowrun Anarchy’s Glitch Die mechanic. You don’t have to use it, but it’s a gamble if you do – your action could be wildly successful, or go totally off-rails, depending on this single die. I much prefer this to the traditional glitch mechanic.

Tunnels & Trolls’ DARO/TARO rule (doubles/triples always roll over). The simple exploding dice mechanic means there’s always a chance. In general, I think the simplicity of T&T’s mechanics, and how early they came about, deserves more recognition.

I really like Hit Points as a simple, abstract measurement of health. I like how it avoids the death spiral of accumulating penalties...deserves mention above all.

Stunts from Exalted and Scion (plus, probably, several other games I've never played). Basically the rule is if you say more than just "I attack" then you get a bonus. The better your description, the better the bonus.

Also from those two games (and lots of others): limited player control over the world. Don't ask me if there's a chandelier to swing from in the ballroom, how high it is, if it's heavy enough to hold you, etc. Just tell me you swing from it and enjoy your bonus dice for a cool description. :)

G

Guest 6801328

• D&D's advantage/disadvantage is a really elegant way to replace all those fiddly bonuses. It's one of my favourite things about 5E.

From what I have heard...perhaps apocryphally...MM got the idea for that from The One Ring. (Although it's worth pointing out that the mechanic doesn't actually have a name in TOR, it's just spelled out wherever it's used. E.g., "Roll the Feat die twice and take the better result.")

But, yeah, I really like that mechanic, too. Although it's not just the mechanic itself that I like, it's the way it explicitly replaces summing up various positive and negative modifiers.

But, um, I'm supposed to pick a mechanic I like, so I'll go with:

The way that "Success, with Complications" in Dungeon World works.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
1) Success Chart from Talislanta 5E. Instead of base 10 + blah and hit target number, it is a chart of Critical Failure, Failure, Partial Success, Success, and Critical Success. Pathfinder 2 has vaguely borrowed from this with their 'Crit on DC+10 or more' system, which is awesome.

2) I'll second the 'Stunt' system from Exalted. Quick but vivid descriptions other than 'I swing my sword!' getting bonuses has been used ever since I first played that game, and we take it to every system we play now.

3) Action Points from D&D 3.5 (Eberron). I love the 'X per Level' approach, and that you can not only spend these to take extra actions or gain a dice bonus to a roll, but there were a ton of feats based around improving these. I really enjoyed them, and have also incorporated those into many games I've played.

Tony Vargas

Legend
From what I have heard...perhaps apocryphally...MM got the idea for that from The One Ring. (Although it's worth pointing out that the mechanic doesn't actually have a name in TOR, it's just spelled out wherever it's used. E.g., "Roll the Feat die twice and take the better result.")
Sounds plausible (that he'd like a mechanic like that), 4e had a lotta* re-rolls, from the notorious Elven Accuracy on, and it seemed like there were just more of 'em after he took over. In particular, the Avenger had a special ability that was "make two attack rolls and use either result. … If another effect lets you roll twice and use the higher result when making an attack roll, this power has no effect on that attack." Quite likely lifted from the same source of inspiration as Advantage, since it has both the roll-twice & the non-stacking features.

But, yeah, I really like that mechanic, too. Although it's not just the mechanic itself that I like, it's the way it explicitly replaces summing up various positive and negative modifiers.
Replacing or consolidating modifiers into something simple and non-stacking seems like a good idea. It's happened several times, then, more modifiers get added, and it's needed again. ;)

As long as they can resist letting Advantage stack, or adding more +dice mechanics like Bless, though...

The way that "Success, with Complications" in Dungeon World works.
::thumbsup::

*I was going to say "...lousy with..." but I had an odd premonition that might get snipped and go into a sig. ;)

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
From Mutants and Masterminds
- Alternative Effects: they're cheap variations on a power that can generally only be activated one at a time - most often for alternate means of attack from a broadly defined power

- Extra Effort: for the cost of a bit of fatigue, a hero can push his powers, move farther, gain an extra action or, and perhaps most importantly, perform a power stunt which is an alternative effect that isn't already defined on your character. Didn't buy your optic blast with an area effect wide angle? Use extra effort and you can do it in a pinch when you realize you have a need for it.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
3) Action Points from D&D 3.5 (Eberron). I love the 'X per Level' approach, and that you can not only spend these to take extra actions or gain a dice bonus to a roll, but there were a ton of feats based around improving these. I really enjoyed them, and have also incorporated those into many games I've played.
Okay, yep, changing my answer. Action Points inspired my version of Hero Points, because what can't you do with action points? Well, extra actions was pushing it a little bit, but still, so much potential there.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Fate's Aspects
Fate Accelerated's Approaches

and I just tried Forbidden Lands and like the Attribute Damage mechanic (although it does make Combat fatal)

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
Some of my favorites:

* Aspects (Fate)

* Fate Points (Fate): notably saw less cheating with rolls from players and less compulsion to "fudge/cheat" my GM rolls.

* Success with a Complication (e.g., Fate, Apocalypse World, Blades in the Dark)

* Countdown Clocks (Blades in the Dark)

* Single-Room Difficulty Class (Index Card RPG): less mechanic and more encounter design

* GM Intrusions (Cypher System): similar to Fate's compels

* Stunt Points (Dragon Age, Fantasy Age): roll 3d6, doubles on rolls generate Stunt points equal to the value of the off-colored stunt die that a player can spend on various cool things

* One Unique Thing (13th Age)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases