New SCAG Info: Someone Got The Book

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide hits preferred stores tomorrow (and everywhere else in a couple of weeks). However, some stores have jumped the gun - which only benefits us, as folks on social media are telling us all about it! Below is a compilation of that information. I'm sure come tomorrow, the amount of information on the book will increase dramatically.

947330.jpg

[h=4]Original Post[/h]
Thread is here, Gnunn and others are answering questions about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3pot39/call_your_local_stores_scag/

The info:

I'am trying to compile the answers here by those who have new information. The answers do not represent me in anyway I'am just passing on the information.

Q: Name all the subclasses (submitted by me)

A:

Not really interested in spoiling all of the specifics, but here's what I noticed to be new at first glance:
Races:
Gray Dwaves (Duergar)
Ghostwise Halflings
Deep Gnomes (Svirfneblin) -- also provides a new feat "Svirfneblin Magic" (same as EE)
Half-Elf Variants
Tiefling Variants

Classes (only new class options, not new classes):
Barbarian - Path of the Battlerager, new Totem Spirits
Bard - New musical instruments
Cleric - Arcana Domain
Fighter - Purple Dragon Knight
Monk - Way of the Long Death, Way of the Sun Soul
Paladin - Oath of the Crown
Ranger - Several paragraphs that amount to nothing
Rogue - Mastermind Swashbuckler
Sorcerer - Storm Sorcery
Warlock - The Undying
Wizard - Bladesinging

New cantrips for sorcerers, warlocks, and wizards
Booming blade, green-flame blade, lightning lure, sword burst.

Backgrounds:
City Watch
Clan Crafter
Cloistered Scholar
Courtier
Faction Agent
Far Traveler
Inheritor
Knight of the Order
Mercenary Veteran
Urban Bounty Hunter
Uthgardt Tribe Member
Waterdhavian Noble
This only covers about 50 pages of the almost 160 page book. There's a TON of info on the Sword Coast itself. I'm sure DMs who already have the book are salivating at the moment.

Q: No Bard, Ranger or Druid subclasses?

A:
There are new bard colleges. I only listed non-flavor changes (in my opinion at least each one is paired with an existing class option so nothing new in terms of mechanics.

-Q2: Wait WHAT? So the Bard Colleges AND Druid Circles don't list fully new subclasses that offer new mechanics to that class? And no "spell-less" Ranger variant or anything?

-A2:
Correct on all accounts.

Q: Monk Subclasses specifics

A:
Sun Soul gives the monk methods of dealing radiant damage. Burning hands makes an appearance as well.It seems almost too obvious, but all of the Long Death abilities are triggered by death in some way - either yours or an enemy.

Q: Warlock the Undying

A:
Hard to explain. It's Lich-like, but not undead it seems.

Q: Paladin Oath of the Crown

A:
The new paladin oath is a straight up tank. They seem to have added a ton more detail for the paladin codes. Too much to go into here.

Q: Fighter Purple Dragon Knight

A:Party buffs/heals. Would be a good party leader out of combat as well.

Q:
How do the Half elf and tiefling variants work?

A:
Tiefling variants are pretty different. I'm not next to my book currently, but I believe there were three options. Half elf replaced the half elf skill dealy with a selection from the elf half. Like Drow magic replacing the skill selection for example.

Q: What does it say about Aasimar?

A: It basically just says, "See the DMG.

(I guess that makes Eldarin valid as well)

Edit 1: Did some cleaning, added cantrips and explanation that is not me giving the answers.

Irennan

Explorer
The actual main geographical areas covered in the book are surprisingly detailed. The Island Kingdoms section especially stood out for me - given its length and various hints I suspected the Moonshaes might be covered, and indeed they are, quite fully, but I certainly wasn't expecting anything on Lantan or Nimbral! Granted, much of what is said for them (and for Evermeet as well) comes in the form of hearsay from the narrator of the section (a gnome sailor - all the geographic regions covered has their own specific narrator talking about the cities and regions), but even then just the half page or so on Lantan compares favorably to the entirity of the coverage we've had in all previous editions combined...

Do Skullport/the Promenade get any coverage?

gyor

Legend
The thing is, the Storm Sorc's subclass features are awesome. The Favored Soul's, by and large, aren't. Apart from bonus spells, the only really good subclass feature comes in during the Paragon tier.

Agreed, if you take away the spells, wings are all the Favoured Soul has that's worth anything, (extra attack is of no benifit) and the Dragon Sorceror has that too and even the Storm Sorceror gets some flying, so you have to radically redesign the Favoured Soul.

You could grant the Favoured Soul resistance, but the Dragon Sorceror already gets that as well.

So that's why I thought a mechanic based around mixing channel divinity with sorceror points, allowing domain channel divinity choices for diversity of choice, would help make for a sorceror who feels unique. Plus holy symbols of course.

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=6801060]Demetrios1453[/MENTION], [MENTION=6748898]ad_hoc[/MENTION] or [MENTION=9501]Prism[/MENTION]: What does the book say about Elturgard?

I ask because the 4e LFR adventures had the Companion exploding and the nation failing, but the nation still exists and the second sun still hovers over Elturel in Hoard of the Dragon Queen, so it would seem that the LFR storyline was non-canonical.

[MENTION=6801060]Demetrios1453[/MENTION], [MENTION=6748898]ad_hoc[/MENTION] or [MENTION=9501]Prism[/MENTION]: What does the book say about Elturgard?

I ask because the 4e LFR adventures had the Companion exploding and the nation failing, but the nation still exists and the second sun still hovers over Elturel in Hoard of the Dragon Queen, so it would seem that the LFR storyline was non-canonical.

Elturgard and the Companion are still there. Elturgard is covered fairly extensively on pages 79 - 82.

Is anything mentioned about Many Arrows.

Only a few things here and there, and in passing.

What caught my eye in that region though is that there is over a page on Hartsvale, which has barely been revisited since Troy Denning's Twilight Giant novels and the 2e Giantcraft, way back in the day. I think it got a passing mention in 3e's Silver Marches, but that's about it. I'm wondering if it getting so well described is setting us up for the rumored Against the Giants-type adventure set in the area - it's the perfect spot in the Realms for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

pukunui

Legend
Elturgard and the Companion are still there. Elturgard is covered fairly extensively on pages 79 - 82.
OK. Is it basically just a rehash of what was in the 4e FRCG? Is it still something of a police state with laws against profanity and the like? Or have they relaxed a bit in the past decade or so?

OK. Is it basically just a rehash of what was in the 4e FRCG? Is it still something of a police state with laws against profanity and the like? Or have they relaxed a bit in the past decade or so?

It really doesn't go into too much detail of the laws and such, other than they can sometimes seem a bit stern. The narrator of the chapter (an elf ranger from Evereska) seems pretty approving of the nation from her tone, so it wouldn't seem to be all that bad.

Mirtek

Hero
@Demetrios1453, @ad_hoc or @Prism: What does the book say about Elturgard?

LFR became non-canonical early in it's run. Was a win-win with WotC no longer having to police each module and LFR being allowed to tell grander stories

Altering the companion or the whole epic level storyline would not have been possible if LFR were still canon

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases