D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Fenris

Adventurer
Old Zef mutter something about his lumbago and not having time for this. He reaches down into the water and comes up with two small stones. He hold them in his fist tightly as he whispers over them. He smiles up at Kat and passes the two stones into her hands tightly. Kat can see a bright yellow and more somber red light eeking past her fingers. Zef crosses his arms and looks expectantly down the cavern.

Edit: Cast light twice on two separate stones.

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Yep [MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION] that's right. Of course, carrying or being in the bright light of a glowing light stone makes sneaking around not as viable. Smothering the light might allow sneaking with disadvantage.

peterka99

First Post
OOC: Seems I'll need to raise my dex to nullify the sneak disadvantage... And will use Bard inspiration on Blaise. I hope I'll get no disadvantage on perception with Zef's light...

Before entering the chamber, Etienne mutters inspirational support words to Blaise:

"Faite honneur à la patrie, Monsieur, je suis sûr que vous serez muet comme une carpe!" (You'll do honor to the Fatherland, Sir; I am sure you will be as silent as a grave"

"I'm just too much human myself. To give me courage, I'll now sing an Iroquois lullaby now to become as agile as a goat"

"Zef, please smother the light a little bit. Or maybe I can take it in my hand ?"

Etienne mutters a short song in a strange language, touching his fur hat and then enters the chamber. He relies on his marine's experience to not trip on hazards and remain as quiet as a mouse, aided by the supernatural dexterity of the Adirondak goat spirit he evoked earlier. He opens his ears and eyes to ensure nobody or... nothing could surprise him ahead.... and walks towards the clicking sound, with Zef's stone in his hand .

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"Yes I agree, these are way too bright for our purposes." She does hand one to Etienne as requested and keeps one herself. She takes a moment to dig in her pack for a scarf, which she wraps once around the stone to dim it.

"Now, let's get to this chamber before it's under wate..." She doesn't have time to finish her statement before she realizes Etienne is gone. "Meirda."

She shakes her head. "Alright, I guess we're going this way. " She goes to grab her weapons and realizes the light will be in the way. "Someone else is taking this." She thrusts it out to someone - she assumes Nia or Zef will take it - before drawing her pistol and saber. "Let's go."

She follows Etienne down the hallway.

Matthan

Explorer
"I suppose rushing off alone has caused me some trouble today," Blaise adds with a grin, "I'll follow your lead, captain."

OOC: Let me know what rolls you may want for Blaise. I'm happy to follow the group.

Fenris

Adventurer
Zef takes the small stone and holds it in his left hand so no light escapes, he didn't need the light in any case. He was more concerned about the water level. While he could see in the caves just fine, waist high to Kat was neck high to him. Still, he slogged on after the others.

Shayuri

First Post
Nia nodded at Zef, and tucked her arm back through the little thong that ran down the side of her staff, letting her sling it over her shoulder. She pulled out her bow instead.

Either way, she needed both hands to use her weapons, so carrying the light would have been counterproductive for her.

She follows close behind the captain, her silver eyes squinting into the gloom ahead.

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Ah, thanks for the heads-up [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION]! Toward the clicking sound with Etienne in the lead it is! I'll edit this momentarily with a write-up & map of the chamber...

Also tagging everyone else, just so folks know this is up: [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] [MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION] [MENTION=48394]pathfinderq1[/MENTION]

Important! Note that only Etienne & Nia (once she's in the chamber) see the monsters to start with. To everyone else, they just look like more boulders and stalagmites, which are throughout this chamber.

ENCRju5.png

Old Zef's weathered fingers wrapped around the light emitting stone lend an eerie orangish pallor to the diffuse light guiding your way through the darkness. Etienne is already several paces ahead, moving quietly up the natural stone stairs in his tight fitting rabbit-fur shoes. Katerina isn't far behind, Blaise following suit close behind with the memory of the kelpie still fresh on the mind. Flynn and Nia bring up the rear, a glance backward into the dank gloomy sea cave confirming the canoe is well anchored and you have several hours before the tide is high enough to trap the canoe within.

The clicking chittering sound grows louder, echoing around you, seeming to come from the dank walls themselves, an echo effect of seaside caverns Old Zef is well-acquainted with.

Etienne is the first to see the large chamber, some 50 feet in diameter and littered with small piles of humanoid and fish bones. Stalactites and stalagmites, grey and chalky, are abundant in this chamber, providing a momentary hiding place just left of top of the natural stairs.

Only Etienne's keen eyes (and of course the uncanny acumen of Nia Steeleyes) makes out some large worm-like shapes hidden amidst the stalagmites and boulders. They are pallid, slimy, worm-like creatures the size of a human, their mouths a sickening tangle of tentacles and hooked jaws. Only after a moment adjusting his vision to the dim light does Etienne realize there are three of them, strewn about another the size of a horse with a slightly blue-tinged carapace. Thus far, the creatures have not noticed your party.

Though Old Zef's ability to recognize the presence of the worm-like monstrosities is impaired by holding the light stone and the slight glare making it hard to make out details, his dwarvish sense tells him that the cluster of stalagmites at the far end of the chamber may conceal a passage or adjoining chamber. However, since it's at the edge of the light spell's radius, it'll take an investigation up close to determine whether or not the stalagmites conceal anything.

Last edited:

Remove ads