TUW: The Outpost

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk tries to discreetly use Way to listen in on the conversation, wanting to see if he can actually do it.
OOC: Fingers crossed

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Maka watches as Taylar approaches the man, and begins talking to him; after Taylar has been speaking for about 30 seconds, Maka stands up, and walks over to their table.

Maka nods to Taylar, and then to the man, “I see that you have met my friend. I too, am willing to help you. Mind if I join you?”

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 194: Doldrums 44: The Man from Boga City

Taylar drains off the last of his mug and nods at Maka. He goes over to the stranger's table and says to him with a big grin,,
"Well met, friend. I am Taylar Nibscry. I heard what you said and I would like to hear more. May I sit and speak with you?"
The man nods excitedly.
"Yes. Please."
Raven Elk tries to discreetly manipulate Way to listen in on the conversation, wanting to see if he can actually do it.
OOC: GM NOTE:
The desired task, in this instance, benefits passively from Way and does not require active manipulation.

GM:
OOC: Observation:
  • Empathy (Collegiate Task)
  • Mind + Knowledge +
  • Commercial
This active task represents watching and listening to the immediate area to determine patterns, anomalies, or dangers. It can also be used to determine a person's intentions or motivation.
Opposing Tasks: Blend, Hide, Introversion, Quiet

Empathy:
Range: Self
Effectiveness:

• Essence + Cohesion
  • Collegiate
This pre-Divination, passive technique is used to augment the outcome of various Commercial Tasks and is complicated but quite literal. It allows the Diviner to determine the overlying emotional motivation for the current or an intended action. For example, a person intending to attack may be motivated by greed, avarice, duty, fear, self-preservation, etc. The instinctual nature of animals generally gives the impression of hunger, fear, or self-preservation. This sensitivity is not limited to aggression and can be used in any situation. The specific use of this technique is listed under each Commercial Task to which it can be applied.

Raven Elk: 13(Empathy) + 11(Observation) = 24%

Maka nods to Taylar, and then to the man,
“I see that you have met my friend. I too, am willing to help you. Mind if I join you?”
Vittero who rose with Taylar and seated himself at the man's table drums his thumbs on the table top then adds,
"I am Vittero. Tell us your trouble."
GM: While the din in the tavern is too overwhelming to discern the shared words at the table, Raven Elk feels as if he is reading the conversation from their faces. He senses a determined sincerity from the man. The man appears to be an open book. He is very easy to read.

The man conveys his tale as best he can. He is not stupid. He is obviously having difficulty explaining in the Thisidan language.
"My brother and wife and child dead. Two days. I show you tomorrow. I want to know why and who. My brother's wife like to travel, to see. She like hot. They walk and look. Animals not do this."

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Raven Elk nods to Adisakti to tell him it's time for them to go over to the table, presenting the desperate and distraught man the entire group that will be willing to aid him in his quest for the truth and for justice, if possible.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Taylar nods solemnly. "You have my sympathy for your loss. Answering a debt of blood is no small thing. Now on to the matter of payment. Two days walk to investigate the loss of your family is not so far for me. I will not charge you for that, but whatever we find a long the way belongs to us." He motions to the group. "If you can agree to that, then we will go with you."

Taylar looks at the others to see what else they want to add.

"But you still have not told us your name," Taylar adds.

MacConnell

Y 0: D 194: Doldrums 44: The Man from Boga City, part 2

Taylar nods solemnly.
"You have my sympathy for your loss. Answering a debt of blood is no small thing. Now on to the matter of payment. Two days walk to investigate the loss of your family is not so far for me. I will not charge you for that, but whatever we find a long the way belongs to us." He motions to the group. "If you can agree to that, then we will go with you
."
GM: The man goes somewhat bug-eyed at the flow of words. He nods his head a couple of times and a look of concentration crosses his face.

Taylar looks at the others to see what else they want to add.
Kwargrow said:
"But you still have not told us your name."
The man hops slightly in his seat.
"Name. Yes. Name. I am Liam. You help me? Yes?"

Vittero smiles his best smile. He speaks forcibly slower, using fewer words, and gesturing grandly.
"Yes I think we will. My big friend here is asking, 'How much?'."

The man nods again.
"Oh, yes. I not have much. I give 50 now. 50 for answer."

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Adisakti is amused by the whole conversation. He barely manages to keep from grinning foolishly. He is quite excited by the prospect of an adventure. The money is an added bonus. Once the Vittero accepts Adi butts in, with an excited gleam in his eyes... his words fall from his mouth quickly, he nearly trips over his words... When do we leave? I have to finish my chores, collect food, get some camping supplies... will we be camping?...I'm sure ma and da will let me go but i'll have to ask...I wonder if the blacksmith has those caps on my staff yet? Adi catches himself, and stops talking, and composes himself...he attempts to look official, and slows his speech... We are saddened by your situation....We will of course, take your case my good man, our man Vittero will negotiate our fee... He looks at Vittero and winks, then sits back in his chair with a self satisfied look on his face.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Y 0: D 194: Doldrums 44: The Man from Boga City, part 3

Adisakti is amused by the whole conversation... Adi butts in, with an excited gleam in his eyes... his words fall from his mouth quickly, he nearly trips over his words... .
When do we leave? I have to finish my chores, collect food, get some camping supplies... will we be camping?...I'm sure ma and da will let me go, but i'll have to ask...I wonder if the blacksmith has those caps on my staff yet?
Adi catches himself... and slows his speech...
Sylver B. said:
We are saddened by your situation....We will of course, take your case my good man, our man Vittero will negotiate our fee...
GM: The man's eyes go completely buggy. He visibly shakes with confusion, but smiles. It, at least, understand the offer of help.

Vittero tilts his head back and roars laughing. He lift his mug to Adi, as in a toast.
"That was great! This is even more fun than chasing a greased piglet at the Greening Festival when we were younger."
Vittero calms and holds up his hands in a halting gesture.
"We accept. We will help you. Tomorrow morning, we leave. Meet here, daylight."
GM: The man nods and thanks everyone. He then departs and head toward the town's small inn.

OOC: The iron caps were added to Adisakti's staff. His character record has been updated to reflect such.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Y 0: D 195: Doldrums 45: A New Excursion

GM: Liam, the man from Boga City, meets the crew early the next morning in front of the tavern, as planned. The man is in possession of two horses and readily agrees to to carry any of the extra supplies acquired for the trip, especially the extra waterskins, which become a nuisance to carry. The man walks beside his own horse, leading both by tether. As agreed the man pays out the 50 coins. He offers 50 ocrin instead of 50 francs. The tin coin is the common currency of Boga City, but it has the same value as the Thisidan Franc and is readily acceptable as payment in the Outpost.

The two days of travel are relatively uneventful, which is not unexpected when traveling by road. Only regular birds, insects, and varmints are encountered. The availability of varmints allows for the acquisition of fresh game to eat. Midway into the second day, some gazelles are seen at a distance that is too great to consider pursuing them even if not already obligated to a specific task.

At the end of the second day, the site of the demise of the man's brother and family is located. The brother had apparently been traveling by rickshaw, for the passenger cart still rests off to the side of the road with a broken wheel. Vultures which had come to feed upon the carnage are spooked back into the darkening sky at the approach of the investigators. The bodies of the man and woman are still lying there in the grass. The man had mentioned a child, as well, but no child's body is readily evident.

As the light of the day is growing dim, more thorough investigation may have to wait until morning. The man becomes nauseous at the sight of the dead and returns to the roadway and his horses.

The man shakes himself and takes a steadying breath.
"I leave this horse for you to use. I return to Outpost in the morning. I can wait 10 days. After that, I have no more coin. When you return to Outpost, I give you other 50 ocrin."

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Having never seen dead bodies before, Adi is both shocked and curious...He starts to put is quarter staff out to poke the dead mans foot, but catches himself mid movement and puts the staff in the dirt and leans on it as if trying to get a better look without getting closer. He hopes no one saw him.

Adi approaches the man and uses simple words and gestures to get across his question. Do you know if they were robbed? And the child's body is gone... did you see it when you were here last?

Remove ads