Survivor Appendix E (5e) Authors- Ursula K. LeGWINS!

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't know about tribalism, but it definitely supports my theory of how an author's name recognition is more of a penalty than a benefit in these contests. Seems like the first authors to be voted off are usually the more popular, easily-recognized ones.

By tribalism, I mean by some of the things we've seen in entrenched fandom. "Anyone who votes against my favorite author isn't smart enough to appreciate them, so I'm going to downvote any author you upvote in retaliation."

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Alexander, Lloyd 21
Bulfinch, Thomas 10
Cook, Glen 21
Jemisin, N.K. 18 - Not sure where the hate is coming from (outside of initials usage), Jemisin is doing some of best world-building out there right now, not to mention some of the best prose.
Kay, Guy Gavriel 20
LeGuin, Ursula 19
Lynch, Scott 20
McKillip, Patricia 21
Peake, Mervyn 18
Pratchett, Terry 18
Sanderson, Brandon 15
Wolfe, Gene 23

Reynard

Legend
I can't believe there is a real possibility that the top 10 authors inspiring D&D are authors 90% of D&D players have never heard of. That seems...really odd and contradictory. The nature of tribalism I suppose.

The authors remaining aren't especially obscure. Most of them have front facing books on the shelves.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Who's this Alexander Lloyd? He seems popular, but I have never come across him. I think I've read at least a little by all of the others.

American fantasy author, most famous for the Chronicles of Prydain which is probably best known for spawning the not particularly well-received (but better than I think most people give it credit for) Disney movie The Black Cauldron (Alexander himself once remarked that it bore little resemblance to his own work, but he enjoyed it well enough on its own merits). They were a pretty excellent series of youth-oriented fantasy novels in that they were fully appropriate for all ages without being "kiddy" or shying away from being genuinely dark and depressing at times. I'd highly recommend them.

Kay, Guy Gavriel 21 - If Howard was slated for sexualised violence, I don't see why a modern author should be given a free pass

There is a difference between "works about misogyny" and "works that are misogynistic". Howard's works fall pretty squarely in the latter in most instances; whereas from what I can find from a short trip down Google (I've not read his works myself) Kay tends to be regarded more in the former category.

I don't know about tribalism, but it definitely supports my theory of how an author's name recognition is more of a penalty than a benefit in these contests. Seems like the first authors to be voted off are usually the more popular, easily-recognized ones.

Survivor threads are, definitionally, about being the "least-hated", not the "most-liked" or "most-popular".

Yardiff

Adventurer
Alexander, Lloyd 21
Bulfinch, Thomas 10
Cook, Glen 21

Jemisin, N.K. 18
Kay, Guy Gavriel 20
LeGuin, Ursula 19+1=20
Lynch, Scott 20
McKillip, Patricia 21

Peake, Mervyn 18
Pratchett, Terry 18
Sanderson, Brandon 15-2=13
Wolfe, Gene 23

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Alexander, Lloyd 21
Bulfinch, Thomas 10
Cook, Glen 21
Jemisin, N.K. 18
Kay, Guy Gavriel 20
LeGuin, Ursula 20
Lynch, Scott 20
McKillip, Patricia 21
Peake, Mervyn 16
Pratchett, Terry 19
Sanderson, Brandon 13
Wolfe, Gene 23

Lots of big, big fantasy authors still on this list: Terry Pratchett was the second biggest selling British writer of any stripe, after J.K. Rowling, during his lifetime. I'm pretty sure most D&D players who read books will have heard of most of these, though even I have learned quite a bit from taking a deeper look at this list.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The authors remaining aren't especially obscure. Most of them have front facing books on the shelves.

There are thousands of front facing authors on the shelves. Doesn't mean most D&D player are familiar with them. Of this list remaining, I feel comfortable in saying that the vast majority of D&D gamers are only familiar with maybe two or three of them. Heck, we have people here in this thread who aren't familiar with some of the more iconic, best selling authors. So for people to know a much lesser well known? I think that's only the minority.

Either way, my point stands. I find it odd that the top authors remaining for a thread about "most inspirational" are those that had the lowest readership than those authors who fell first. The results will likely be the complete opposite of what the thread's intent was supposed to be. I strongly suspect a thread where you just did a poll, the results would be completely different.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Alexander, Lloyd 21
Bulfinch, Thomas 8

Cook, Glen 21

Jemisin, N.K. 18

Kay, Guy Gavriel 21

LeGuin, Ursula 20

Lynch, Scott 20

McKillip, Patricia 21

Peake, Mervyn 18

Pratchett, Terry 18

Sanderson, Brandon 13

Wolfe, Gene 23

tglassy

Adventurer
The thread is intended to be Survivor, not an election. In Survivor, the tv show, the one most capable never wins, because after everyone uses him/her to get to the final, they all vote him/her out because he/she is the biggest threat.

Remove ads